Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

@Hapless Bills Fan I’m curious to hear your opinion on this (click on tweet to see whole thread)

I follow Scott Gottlieb; he has solid takes IMO.  I'll read his paper ASAP

He's pretty much right in that Twitter thread, but I think if the idea is widespreaddrug therapy by this summer, it's going to have to be a repurposed existing drug or a small molecule, not a monoclonal antibody treatment.  Multiple drug companies have creating the mAb and tweaking a standard manufacturing process down to an artform, but the CHO cells still only grow as fast as they grow, and they've got to get it through a bunch of safety studies in animals and people at least.

His medical and epidemiology advice seems super-sound but when he ventures into stuff that's further from his background (like the timeline of mAb drug candidate development, even on a fast-track - or whether or not Abbot's new EUA-approved Covid test is a "game changer" (it's great, but if we're short on swabs and PPE it won't change a thing - and the fine print in their press release indicates it only runs on Abbot's proprietary machine - how many of them are there in service?  how much do they cost?)  - he gets a trifle over-optimistic

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This seems legit and a big help if it works as designed.

My brother in law works with that guy. He’s the head of pediatrics at Greenville Hospital, and still keeps clinic hours to stay on top of things. His wife has stage 4 breast cancer, in her bones now. She’s an OB/GYN, but the source of her back pain took years to find. Nothing showed up in mammograms. 

Both doctors, but unable to determine the problem. Now.....he’s afraid to go home to his wife after a day at the hospital. 

Edited by Augie

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52056586?fbclid=IwAR3nSKS-J-SB-awBhF9YHXcXZECOojoXJ-5ra9OG-NUtpQjasSQt1gjW828

"According to the latest figures collated by Johns Hopkins University, the US has overtaken China (81,897 cases) and Italy (80,589).

But with over 1,300 Covid-19-related fatalities, the US death toll is still behind China (3,296) and Italy (8,215).

The grim milestone came as President Donald Trump predicted the nation would get back to work "pretty quickly". "

"Public health experts on the White House task force have demurred when asked about reopening the country by Easter, suggesting the timeline should be "very flexible".

• Thank you (+1) 1

Discussion thread here. Facts thread up there. 

I’m not complaining but I feel badly that the mods have to keep cleaning the one above up. I responded in the facts discussion earlier before realizing I was misplaced. 

Maybe if this thread was titled Discussion: Covid and pinned, it would be clearer. It’s not like this topic is going to page 2 any time soon regrettably. 

[Edit: took this advice and re-titled Discussion thread.  Didn't pin though; figured if folks wanna talk, it will keep it at the top]

The biggest hope right now IMO is that some brilliant mind(s) come up with an effective way(s) to treat the symptoms of Covid-19 (in the next 30-60 days).

Waiting for curves to cycle down (and up again) waiting on a vaccine that is 18 months away (optimistically) isnt a realistic model for our civilization to continue.

I get the way to test, track, and quarantine.  But again, Im not sure that is feasible.  The toothpaste is way out of the tube here.  This thing is also global and unsure if we can just seal up the borders until the vaccine is locked-in (and that is assuming we eradicate this thing 100% in our population)

Edited by May Day 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Edited Title: Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!
3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

The biggest hope right now IMO is that some brilliant mind(s) come up with an effective way(s) to treat the symptoms of Covid-19 (in the next 30-60 days).

Waiting for curves to cycle down (and up again) waiting on a vaccine that is 18 months away (optimistically) isnt a realistic model for our civilization to continue.

I get the way to test, track, and quarantine.  But again, Im not sure that is feasible.  The toothpaste is way out of the tube here.  This thing is also global and unsure if we can just seal up the borders until the vaccine is locked-in (and that is assuming we eradicate this thing 100% in our population)

Well, what are the alternatives? 

We only control what we control. 

We can either do what we have that is known to work, or wring our hands and moan about what we don't have yet and hope these things will magically appear.  Or that the virus will disappear in warm weather - it may, it may not, no one knows.

We can lift social isolation measures, let what happens happen, and potentially watch the collapse of our health care system (or hope and pray that the virus magically disappears with warm weather - but get ready if it does, because it may come back in Fall).  I personally think it's a fantasy to think that the economy will return to normal whilst the disease is unchecked - as more and more people have a healthy young friend or relative who is critically ill, or passes (possibly due to limited health care), fewer and fewer are gonna be inspired to go buy cars, or order home remodeling, or buy new carpet, or go out to dinner and a show.  People want to work, but they're somewhere between cautious or frightened and also concerned they largely can't be offered personal protection at this point when they are working.

Don't get me wrong, testing tracking and quarantining will not STOP the virus.  But they will control new cases and keep them to the point where medical services are not overwhelmed.  Medical services will be less overwhelmed if HCW can be properly protected whilst working.  Serology testing will identify who has already had the infection, and can both donate immune plasma (should they choose) to treat people, and who can safely have contact with vulnerable people. 

3 hours ago, jburt2625 said:

The wife is going to cut it. At least it will grow back a little in 2 weeks before I leave the house again. 

Right to the wood, jburt!

?

Anyone want me to ship my clippers to them?  My penchant for the buzz cut every two weeks starting in '89 caused Bride the First to demand I do it myself. 

3 hours ago, jburt2625 said:

The wife is going to cut it. At least it will grow back a little in 2 weeks before I leave the house again. 

My wife used to buzz the kids heads and we have the stuff. I hesitate to take her up on the offer. She had a few “incidents” working on the boys, including forgetting to put on any guard at all! It was late and she was tired, but our oldest was bugging her because he wanted to look just right for picture day the next morning. He was about 1/3 bald before she realized what she had done.....no turning back there!

I’ll just wear hats for now.  :)

I have developed two new theories regarding COVID recently.

The first of these theories (I shall shelve the other theory for another discussion) is that COVID is just a giant PR stunt by Sony to hype The Last of Us 2 and HBO to hype their related upcoming TLOU series