Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

On Thursday, a group of economic luminaries, including the past two Federal Reserve chairs, and chief economists and Treasury secretaries from both Democratic and Republican administrations, released a letter arguing that the path back to a functional economy runs through sound public health measures. “Saving lives and saving the economy are not in conflict right now; we will hasten the return to robust economic activity by taking steps to stem the spread of the virus and save lives,” they wrote.

https://www.vox.com/coronavirus-covid19/2020/3/27/21193879/coronavirus-covid-19-social-distancing-economy-recession-depression

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

It’s a pretty simple proposition, actually: if we want to protect and save the economy, we FIRST have to protect and save the public that makes it all possible in the first place.

It’s beyond comprehension that it’s even a question with some. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

From the family:

Laura is a young, healthy and vibrant 31 year old woman living in New York City. She works for a small non-profit garden in Manhattan.

She started to have some respiratory trouble for only a couple days and then was brought to a hospital in Worcester, MA while visiting her parents there. When she arrived at the hospital, she was admitted for pneumonia and COVID-19. On the 3rd or so day of experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, she was soon intubated and put on a ventilator. Her health deteriorated very rapidly due to the virus, and she went into acute respiratory failure. She was transferred to a different hospital in Boston, MA  via helicopter.  She was able to survive the flight and is now settling in at the new Boston hospital, where they have the option of ECMO for her.

Since she is quarantined, her family and friends cannot visit her. The distance they must spend apart during this time is especially heartbreaking. We would give anything to just hold her hand and tell her to keep fighting. We know she can hear our prayers, though.

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

From the family:

The mental health toll of this pandemic is immeasurable. Every ounce of my fiber would need to be beside my son or daughter if they were in this situation. To not be there in person to comfort and soothe a loved one is cruel. 

F this F ing virus. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Click on a tweet to read the rest of the thread.

I do NOT want to catch this virus. Not afraid to admit that I’m scared of this thing, and especially scared for my loved ones at higher risk than me (though I’m not low risk myself). 

On 3/27/2020 at 1:56 PM, K-9 said:

The mental health toll of this pandemic is immeasurable. Every ounce of my fiber would need to be beside my son or daughter if they were in this situation. To not be there in person to comfort and soothe a loved one is cruel. 

F this F ing virus. 

I think that’s what scares me the most - thinking about a loved one in quarantine with this thing.

Edit: Follow up questions answered By Shiraz Maher

25 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

From the family:

I’m sure they’re giving her the best care they can, but I wonder if they gave her that hydrochloroquine (sp?) drug, or any other of the drugs they’ve been talking about for about a week now?

44 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

...but I wonder if they gave her that hydrochloroquine (sp?) drug, or any other of the drugs they’ve been talking about for about a week now?

Small study but hydroxychloroquine no better than current treatment. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-25/hydroxychloroquine-no-better-than-regular-covid-19-care-in-study

Estimated $8-9 Billion in American Airlines jets parked outside my office. They have asked permission to start parking on our ramp.

Also had to to the terminal to update my badge. Very very weird being a completely empty airport!

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

My college aged niece was admitted to the hospital this morning and diagnosed with pneumonia.  On oxygen now.  Awaiting coronavirus test results.  This virus is no joke folks.

Late Wednesday night/early Thursday morning at around 2:30am I woke up and had a fever of 100.6. I rested all day yesterday, self medicated, and am 100% better today. But I was scared s**tless all day yesterday that I would get worse and be on my way to the hospital. I am reading way too many stories of people way younger than me who get this virus, end up in the hospital, and die. 

Agree that it’s about as serious as it can get. And yes, my early opinion of not closing everything down was way, way wrong. The optimist in me wanted to believe that it was just another overblown government directive.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

My college aged niece was admitted to the hospital this morning and diagnosed with pneumonia.  On oxygen now.  Awaiting coronavirus test results.  This virus is no joke folks.

Sorry to hear that. She will be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us updated on how she’s doing if you can.

edit - hope you feel better too John in Jax! Stay safe.

Edited by BillsFan4

Don’t know if anyone saw today’s daily briefing, but what Fauci said at the end was sobering. He said this virus is unprecedented. This is a man who has been at the forefront of research in the fight against some of the worst viruses we’ve known. When he says this thing is something he’s never seen, it gives me pause. 

• Like (+1) 3

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-city-had-a-coronavirus-warning-sign-spikes-in-er-visits-11584567932

New York City Had a Coronavirus Warning Sign: Spikes in ER Visits

‘The visits increased daily beginning on March 1, and various factors could have contributed to the rise’

(Edit - when I posted this I was able to read the article without issue. Now I’m hitting a paywall. I’ll leave it up in case others can read it the 1st time too)

Edited by BillsFan4

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/27/deshaun-watson-feeding-nurses-on-the-front-lines/

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson fed nurses on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic at a Houston hospital Friday, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.

Watson catered lunch and dinner at Ben Taub Hospital, an acute care facility and Level I trauma center near NRG Stadium.

Watson had 200 lunches delivered by Sticky’s Chicken with another 200 dinners planned for Friday night for the night shift.

Watson also provided meals in his hometown of Gainesville, Georgia, earlier this week.

He has donated hundreds of meals to local hospitality workers who lost their jobs or had their income affected due to the 

?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

That's awful.  Sending good thoughts

Yesterday I was just telling my wife that i don't know anyone with covid-19.  Then today my mom calls in tears and tells me my cousin died from this disease today.  He was a few years older than me, in his late 50's and lives out on Long Island.  But he was admitted only 10 days ago for coronavirus and his family kept it on the down low until today when he passed.  He leaves a wife and 3 kids behind...his youngest just started at Cornell.  So freakin sad.  Even as recently as March 8th his Facebook timeline had a post about the Bills. :(

• Sad 4

19 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Yesterday I was just telling my wife that i don't know anyone with covid-19.  Then today my mom calls in tears and tells me my cousin died from this disease today.  He was a few years older than me, in his late 50's and lives out on Long Island.  But he was admitted only 10 days ago for coronavirus and his family kept it on the down low until today when he passed.  He leaves a wife and 3 kids behind...his youngest just started at Cornell.  So freakin sad.  Even as recently as March 8th his Facebook timeline had a post about the Bills. :(

Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that. My condolences to you and your family. May he RIP.

4 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Prayers for her uneventful recovery.  Where is she?

The first covid-19 death in MO was a patient in a Life Care Center Nursing Home.  If that name sounds familiar, it's the home where 37 patients died in Seattle.

Announced today 6 covid-19 diagnoses at a Life Care Center Nursing Home in St Louis.  Get this, the first patient was sent to hospital March 18.  Test result returned today.

A test that takes 10 days to get results is pretty much teats on a chicken to medical care OR to tracking and containing an epidemic.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I'm so sorry....ugh!