Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I see your POV, but I'd like to offer a contrary one: the real question is what is the population of the affected region? 

Well the stats were not broken down by metropolitan area so population is only factor you could add to make it clearer.

I have been looking for map of US showing outbreaks and color coded by percentage of people.

If an agency made those on regular basis they could be put together in motion to watch spread.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Yeah, not so much with those who felt self-entitled enough to hit spring break beaches or Mardis Gras. I’m a pretty low key guy, but that really pisses me off! News Flash! New Orleans just hit hard according to the Nightly News. Spring breakers will also help spread it all over the country as they go home. One kid interviewed about “his” spring break made me feel bad for his entire family. Embarrassingly stupid!

See, this is something that just has me shaking my head and face-palming (otherwise I'd be shaking with frustration and rage).

As of March 24, Florida has decided to say that anyone coming from NYS/CT/NJ must quarantine 14 days. 

It will not impose a "shelter in place" order on people already in state.

But, a lot of College spring breaks take place and end before March 21st, not to mention grade and secondary school spring breaks.  So there have been a lot of people pouring into Florida from that same tri-state area as well as Boston, Philly, etc - hanging on beaches, drinking in bars, eating in restaurants which were open without restrictions until 18 March.

It's a pretty safe bet that some of those people were infected with covid-19 and infectious and unknowingly infected Florida residents.  It's not that the people pouring in now don't matter, they do constitute new transmission chains, but there's very likely enough already in-state that it can spread even with those people quarantined, and without a shelter-in-place.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a little point that with proper surveillance and testing, a number of crowded, populous Democratic countries have managed to contain this by non-pharmaceutical means, without a vaccine.

So are you saying that Singapore, South Korea, Spain have contained the virus and don’t need a vaccine? I thought we needed a vaccine in case it becomes an annual “thing”? I’m really confused. Is the virus different in those countries that took fast steps compared to other countries like ours?

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

See, this is something that just has me shaking my head and face-palming (otherwise I'd be shaking with frustration and rage).

As of March 24, Florida has decided to say that anyone coming from NYS/CT/NJ must quarantine 14 days. 

It will not impose a "shelter in place" order on people already in state.

But, a lot of College spring breaks take place and end before March 21st, not to mention grade and secondary school spring breaks.  So there have been a lot of people pouring into Florida from that same tri-state area as well as Boston, Philly, etc - hanging on beaches, drinking in bars, eating in restaurants which were open without restrictions until 18 March.

It's a pretty safe bet that some of those people were infected with covid-19 and infectious and unknowingly infected Florida residents.  It's not that the people pouring in now don't matter, they do constitute new transmission chains, but there's very likely enough already in-state that it can spread even with those people quarantined, and without a shelter-in-place.

Yeah, but they had a few good weeks of business, so they are happy........isn’t that all that matters? 

Same with Mardis Gras. 

33 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

So are you saying that Singapore, South Korea, Spain have contained the virus and don’t need a vaccine? I thought we needed a vaccine in case it becomes an annual “thing”? I’m really confused. Is the virus different in those countries that took fast steps compared to other countries like ours?

Spain is still rocking an uncontained epidemic.  Did I say Spain?  (looks) nope.

Everyone wants a vaccine.  I'm just pointing out that Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong are all pretty much open for business (I think schools may be closed in Singapore) and economically motoring along, with a contained epidemic and no vaccine.  It can be done without a vaccine.  They took fast steps (contained), and now test everyone with fever, trace their contacts, and test 'em.  They are also huge on mask-wearing in public.

It is easier with a vaccine.  But disease can be contained without one.  We know how; we're just not doing it here (in US)

No, the virus is not different in those countries.  See Facts only thread to link to genomic epidemiology site.  They have sequenced viral samples (lots) from all over the world.

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Oh, Yikes.  Was not wearing PPE.  Nurses say it's because the hospital was short but....just No. 

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Spain is still rocking an uncontained epidemic.  Did I say Spain?  (looks) nope.

Everyone wants a vaccine.  I'm just pointing out that Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong are all pretty much open for business (I think schools may be closed in Singapore) and economically motoring along, with a contained epidemic and no vaccine.  It can be done without a vaccine.  They took fast steps (contained), and now test everyone with fever, trace their contacts, and test 'em.  They are also huge on mask-wearing in public.

It is easier with a vaccine.  But disease can be contained without one.  We know how; we're just not doing it here (in US)

Still confused. Don’t we need a vaccine or some kind of drug response? Why aren’t the brightest minds and multi-million dollar companies able to come up with a vaccine quicker? Aren’t they linked into the WHO and CDC? Why didn’t they start this process months ago as cutting edge scientists? Whether it’s Spain (maybe you didn’t say that) or Singapore/Hong Kong, are they all immune at this point? They did things so much better, do they not need a vaccine next year? 

I asked before...will this thing die and not come back, and it’s still up in the air (except for Singapore/Hong Kong/South Korea....who apparently did everything perfect.)

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

My wife’s brother works with that guy at Greenville Hospital! I saw this early today (early being a relative term, since I have no reason to get up and nowhere to go).  Hoping this really helps.

We need to find some out of the box fixes here! When faced with a challenge, we need to rise up and find a way. 

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

I knew that had to be you.

Yeah, that was just to piss off some of the folks here!  :)

My BIL is head of pediatrics at that hospital and still does clinic hours to keep active. Sadly, his wife is an OB/GYN no longer working because of stage 4 breast cancer spread to her bones. He’s scared to death to go to work, then go home and see his wife. It was bad enough already, but then you add something that spreads like wildfire......not good. 

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Atlantans showing appreciation to health care workers.

I'm blown away by the health care professionals on the front lines. 

Me and the fam have spent the past two weeks hunkered down at home except for a handful of trips to the stores for essentials (plus one to the liquor store). 

Every trip to the store comes with a level of caution/stress/fear for our own well-being. Which doesn't come close to comparing to what those on the front lines have been facing every day - for others well-being AND at the risk of their own well-being.

• Like (+1) 5