Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Absolutely. 

Any politicians Re-election should never, ever come before Americans health and safety. That’s a great way to lose my vote, because I certainly won’t be voting for any politician who does that and I know an awful lot of people who feel the same way.

Trump said today that he wants the country opened by Easter. 

Well, that’s that. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Absolutely. 

Any politicians Re-election should never, ever come before Americans health and safety. That’s a great way to lose my vote, because I certainly won’t be voting for any politician who does that and I know an awful lot of people who feel the same way.

I believe the last 6 or 7 posts are all purely political. 

So assuming the nation (workforce) is on lockdown and the economy suffers (which it already has), a politician should not be penalized/criticized by his or her opponent (or supporters) for taking such protective action, correct? The economy should not even be a talking point, correct?

(Just playing Devil’s Advocate)

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John in Jax said:

Here’s some Interesting figures. 23,000 people dead from the flu so far this season. Straight from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

So what? This post just proves (yet again) you have no idea what you are talking about, or what the situation at hand is presenting.

As I posted in another thread:

Bringing up flu numbers and using them to DISINFORM the COVID situation is like saying: "The sign outside McDonalds says '2 Billion burgers served this year', but when I order 5million at the drive thru it overloads the system. What gives?!?"

In the long run, hopefully this turns into just another strain of flu. But the issue right now is that it is new (lot still unknown), and fast spreading all at once.

That is what "flattening the curve" is all about. We wont eradicate it completely. But we must take measures to not overload our healthcare system all at once.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, K-9 said:

Flu numbers are irrelevant to the current pandemic

Really? If statistically, I have a better chance of getting the flu and dying vs getting Covod-19 and dying, it’s irrelevant? I guess what’s “relevant” can vary greatly from person to person.

Life is full of “risk vs reward” situations, where we all make decisions every day dealing with those situations.

But like I said earlier, all the ranting and raving in here about “they didn’t act quickly enough”, or “they’re crazy not to lock down the whole country for X months”, or “it’s way too early to ‘get back to work’ on X date!” mean absolutely nothing, as the only thing we can do is hope that our leaders make the right call. If they don’t, I’m quite certain they will pay for it on Election Day.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Really? If statistically, I have a better chance of getting the flu and dying vs getting Covod-19 and dying, it’s irrelevant? I guess what’s “relevant” can vary greatly from person to person.

Life is full of “risk vs reward” situations, where we all make decisions every day dealing with those situations.

But like I said earlier, all the ranting and raving in here about “they didn’t act quickly enough”, or “they’re crazy not to lock down the whole country for X months”, or “it’s way too early to ‘get back to work’ on X date!” mean absolutely nothing, as the only thing we can do is hope that our leaders make the right call. If they don’t, I’m quite certain they will pay for it on Election Day.

There are no apples to apples statistics to support the premise of your argument so you can stop right there and save yourself further embarrassment.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I believe the last 6 or 7 posts are all purely political. 

So assuming the nation (workforce) is on lockdown and the economy suffers (which it already has), a politician should not be penalized/criticized by his or her opponent (or supporters) for taking such protective action, correct? The economy should not even be a talking point, correct?

(Just playing Devil’s Advocate)

Correct. If that’s what the experts said was necessary to save many American lives, then no, I wouldn’t hold the economy against them for following the expert’s guidelines and trying to save American lives.

I would actually praise them for doing the right thing.

26 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Here’s some Interesting figures. 23,000 people dead from the flu so far this season. Straight from the CDC:

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-new-coronavirus-isn-t-like-the-flu-but-they-have-one-big-thing-in-common

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

Correct. If that’s what the experts said was necessary to save many American lives, then no, I wouldn’t hold the economy against them for following the expert’s guidelines and trying to save American lives.

Agreed

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

I’m just talking about the USA, obviously. ?

And the flu sends what percentage of its victims to the hospital for treatment, is transmissible at what rate compared to this, and has a fatality rate of what compared to this? 

You're comparing apples to bolt-cutters. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Wait until you hear my views on theories such as gravity and evolution, and the earth being round!

That last one is just crazy talk!

Come on, try to keep it real! 

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

John, what's your point here?  Are you trying to compare this to flu?  As doctor after doctor seeing covid-19 patients has said:  "this isn't flu"

1) Reproduction number - covid-19 2.2 - 2.4 vs 1.3 for flu.  What this means, in practical terms, is that at a number of disease cycles where ~45 people are ill from flu, ~500 people will be ill from covid-19.  It is more contagious, and no one has immunity or partial immunity.

2) Morbidity - 20% of the people who contract covid-19 become severely ill, and require prolonged hospital care of several weeks (including 20-60 year olds)

5% become critically ill and require intensive care, including ventilator support, for up to a month.  This strains hospital and health care capacity in a way flu does not.

Here’s a quick comparison of how covid-19 differs form the flu: 

-even if death rates are 1% (so far it looks like they are closer to 2%) that is 10x more deadly than the flu (0.1%)

-hospitalization rate are almost 20x higher (almost 1 in 5 that get it need to be hospitalized)

- it’s more contagious. Each person that gets covid-19 infects more people than those with the flu do

- nobody has any immunity to this virus like the flu

- there are no treatments in place for this virus yet

- no vaccines to protect people.

- the incubation time is much longer.

- it’s not just the elderly at higher risk.

- high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity all raise the risk factor quite significantly (all things America has the highest rates of in the world). As does many other underlying health conditions.

https://covidactnow.org

Check out this model model to see what peak case + hospitalization rates could be in each state if proper measures aren’t followed (Click on the top of the peak to see the potential hospitalization rates). Our healthcare systems can’t handle it and more people will die because they can’t receive proper treatment. 

00F80811-8589-486A-85AD-A08E923F8AF9.jpeg

Edited by BillsFan4

12 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

You're comparing apples to bolt-cutters. 

It actually is the ONLY thing that you can compare it to, since, you know, it’s a respiratory issue. I mean we can’t compare it to our nations #1 killer (heart disease) or to vehicle crashes or to suicides or to poison deaths.

The thing that amazes me is that all those people die from influenza even though there are specific drugs to treat it.

ETA re the post two above this: Apparently, a LOT of people have Covid-19, and they don’t know it/nobody knows it, so those numbers are way skewed. Put another way, if all the people who have it but don’t know it are added to the mix, the hospital/death numbers are a lot lower.

Edited by John in Jax

27 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

I think you're confusing overall mortality numbers with "chance" eg death rate.

More people have died so far from flu because it is already in the population.  But the rate of serious illness (your personal chance of getting very sick from flu) and the case fatality rate (your chance of dying if you get it) both appear to be at best 10x lower in any age group from flu.

In addition, the death rate from covid-19 appears to be heavily influenced by how overloaded the hospitals are. 

It is running about 9.8% in Italy right now.

5 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

It actually is the ONLY thing that you can compare it to, since, you know, it’s a respiratory issue. I mean we can’t compare it to our nations #1 killer (heart disease) or to vehicle crashes or to suicides or to poison deaths.

The thing that amazes me is that all those people die from influenza even though there are specific drugs to treat it.

Fine, we've compared it, and now we know that covid-19 has much higher morbidity and case fatality rates than flu, and it spreads to more people for each infection because of lack of immunity in our population and prolonged presymptomatic or asymptomatic infectious period relative to flu.

We aren't going to keep re-hashing the same points over and over, right? 

7 hours ago, aristocrat said:

gf finally got her first virus patient last night. orangeburg sc.  lets hope the one mask per shift rule keeps her and us from getting it.  

I have nothing i can say to you except "Ohshit" and "God bless her and you; God keep you."

Consider that she should wash hands, strip and put clothes in a plastic bag that gets washed separately and shower as soon as she gets home.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you're confusing overall mortality numbers with "chance" eg death rate.

More people have died so far from flu because it is already in the population.  But the rate of serious illness (your personal chance of getting very sick from flu) and the case fatality rate (your chance of dying if you get it) both appear to be at best 10x lower in any age group from flu.

In addition, the death rate from covid-19 appears to be heavily influenced by how overloaded the hospitals are. 

It is running about 9.8% in Italy right now.

Fine, we've compared it, and now we know that covid-19 has much higher morbidity and case fatality rates than flu, and it spreads to more people for each infection because of lack of immunity in our population and prolonged presymptomatic or asymptomatic infectious period relative to flu.

We aren't going to keep re-hashing the same points over and over, right? 

It also doesn't have a vaccine

4 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Except that I heard a certain someone at yesterday’s White House briefing make that comparison and using that same false equivalency in justifying policy moving forward. 

• Haha (+1) 2