Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

5 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Of course, then those most likely to survive.  I better stay home, I'm screwed on all fronts.

Whatever it takes. Whatever it takes........

So now I read that dogs have gotten the virus? I guess it may be helpful to know a dog can catch it, but how is it that dogs are getting tested when people are not? 

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...just curious Hap as to what your exposure as well as colleagues is work wise in your field of endeavor...what are the risks you take and precautions in place?.....

My take:

I wear a mask if I must be in close contact with someone (go get a medical test, say; standing in line).  If I can stay 6 feet away, I feel that suffices. 

I reuse masks - we don't have a stash of N95 masks, we have 1 each, plus a handful of masks designed for dust protection (woodworking) that are more effective than paper.

I don' t wear gloves at this point.  This is partly a generational thing, but there are actually some studies showing more effective infection control by meticulous hand hygiene, outside a surgical setting or actual patient contact.  See what I do above.  I may wear gloves next time I go shopping in 2 weeks.

I'm home.  Only going out for walks or necessary trips.  Can't even visit my mom, "No Visitors"

It was nice to see Fauci back at the presser and answering questions in his frank manner. He is refreshing as he doesn’t answer like he’s wrestling with a public relations issue. He’s a straight shooter and that’s what I need most at this juncture. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Why did you PM me advice to go for a walk at the mall and eat at the food court?

I thought you could benefit from a free meal! If you just keep circling, those Asian places will just keep handing you chicken on a toothpick!

Hey, sometimes the herd does need a little thinning, OK?  

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It was nice to see Fauci back at the presser and answering questions in his frank manner. He is refreshing as he doesn’t answer like he’s wrestling with a public relations issue. He’s a straight shooter and that’s what I need most at this juncture. 

Yeah it definitely was. I love his honesty. It’s needed right now. When asked a question he is willing to tell the truth no matter what.

11 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

So in Florida everyone that are out of the restaurants and bars are at the... Beach. Now Florida is gonna close those down. They do stuff very slowly down here.

My work is trying to get an exemption from this mandatory shutdown in ny. Trust me when I say that my line of work is absolutely not essential buisness, but the money hungry company I work for is desperately trying not to lose money and cares more about that than keeping their employees and customers safe

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Whatever it takes. Whatever it takes........

So now I read that dogs have gotten the virus? I guess it may be helpful to know a dog can catch it, but how is it that dogs are getting tested when people are not? 

WHO let the dogs out!!!  (see up thread)

First of all, understand that dogs do get coronaviruses, just not covid-19.  Because of rapid test development, it can't be guaranteed that dog coronaviruses might not weakly interact with the RT-PCR test being used to detect covid-19  Here's what American Veterinary Medical Association summarizes about what is known:

Dog in Hong Kong: On Thursday, February 27, Hong Kong’s Agriculture, Fisheries, and Conservation Department (AFCD) reported that samples obtained on February 26 from the nasal and oral cavities of a pet dog (a 17-year-old Pomeranian whose owner had been diagnosed with COVID-19) had tested “weak positive” for SARS-CoV-2, using a real time reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT PCR) test. A fecal sample was negative. The RT PCR test is sensitive, specific, and does not cross-react with other coronaviruses of dogs or cats. A “weak positive” result suggests a small quantity of SARS-CoV-2 RNA was present in the samples, but does not distinguish between RNA detected from intact virus and fragments of RNA. PCR testing was repeated on February 28, March 2, 3, 5, and 10 with continued “weak positive” results. In addition, gene sequencing of the SARS-CoV-2 virus from the dog and its close human contacts was completed on March 12 and the viral sequences were very similar. A virus isolation test conducted on March 12 was negative. Experts from the School of Public Health of the University of Hong Kong and the College of Veterinary Medicine and Life Sciences of the City University of Hong Kong believe the consistency and persistence of the results suggest the virus may have spread from the infected people to the dog in this particular case. Testing was conducted by the laboratories of the AFCD and the School of Public Health of the University of Hong Kong. The latter is an accredited reference laboratory for the WHO for the testing of SARS-COV-2. This pet dog was one of two pet dogs under quarantine. The second pet dog had negative results of tests for the virus. Neither dog showed any signs of being ill with COVID-19. Unfortunately, the dog that tested positive passed away on March 16. The dog was 17 years old and had ongoing health issues that were likely responsible for the death of this dog, rather than COVID-19. We are told the second pet dog has been released from quarantine. On March 19, the AFCD reported that a third dog, a German Shepherd Dog living with an owner testing positive for COVID-19, had also tested positive. Another mixed-breed dog from the same residence tested negative. Neither dog has shown signs of disease. Both dogs are in quarantine and are continuing to be monitored and tested.

Key points:

-Tests were done in Hong Kong, where there is NOT a shortage of tests

-The dog tested positive for covid-19 but has not shown symptoms or illness.

-At this time, we don't think dogs are a vector for spread, but if your dog lives with you and you get coronavirus, your dog may test positive for it and need quarantine

-It might be a good idea to not love on and pet other people's dogs at this point, or let other people pet yours - just in case.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

?

My wife politely told our housekeeper to stay away. We’ll pay her (she’s got bills to pay too), but not looking for her and her little crew to come in and touch anything in our house.  ? 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

WHO let the dogs out!!!  (see up thread)

First of all, understand that dogs do get coronaviruses, just not covid-19.  Because of rapid test development, it can't be guaranteed that dog coronaviruses might not weakly interact with the RT-PCR test being used to detect covid-19  Here's what American Veterinary Medical Association summarizes about what is known:

Dog in Hong Kong: On Thursday, February 27, Hong Kong’s Agriculture, Fisheries, and Conservation Department (AFCD) reported that samples obtained on February 26 from the nasal and oral cavities of a pet dog (a 17-year-old Pomeranian whose owner had been diagnosed with COVID-19) had tested “weak positive” for SARS-CoV-2, using a real time reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT PCR) test. A fecal sample was negative. The RT PCR test is sensitive, specific, and does not cross-react with other coronaviruses of dogs or cats. A “weak positive” result suggests a small quantity of SARS-CoV-2 RNA was present in the samples, but does not distinguish between RNA detected from intact virus and fragments of RNA. PCR testing was repeated on February 28, March 2, 3, 5, and 10 with continued “weak positive” results. In addition, gene sequencing of the SARS-CoV-2 virus from the dog and its close human contacts was completed on March 12 and the viral sequences were very similar. A virus isolation test conducted on March 12 was negative. Experts from the School of Public Health of the University of Hong Kong and the College of Veterinary Medicine and Life Sciences of the City University of Hong Kong believe the consistency and persistence of the results suggest the virus may have spread from the infected people to the dog in this particular case. Testing was conducted by the laboratories of the AFCD and the School of Public Health of the University of Hong Kong. The latter is an accredited reference laboratory for the WHO for the testing of SARS-COV-2. This pet dog was one of two pet dogs under quarantine. The second pet dog had negative results of tests for the virus. Neither dog showed any signs of being ill with COVID-19. Unfortunately, the dog that tested positive passed away on March 16. The dog was 17 years old and had ongoing health issues that were likely responsible for the death of this dog, rather than COVID-19. We are told the second pet dog has been released from quarantine. On March 19, the AFCD reported that a third dog, a German Shepherd Dog living with an owner testing positive for COVID-19, had also tested positive. Another mixed-breed dog from the same residence tested negative. Neither dog has shown signs of disease. Both dogs are in quarantine and are continuing to be monitored and tested.

Key points:

-Tests were done in Hong Kong, where there is NOT a shortage of tests

-The dog tested positive for covid-19 but has not shown symptoms or illness.

I believe I was at the forefront of this issue when asking whether I can pet my “dumb yellow lab”. Your answer made sense. So I have brushed him every day since then...and washed thoroughly (because the hair and slobber is unbearable). 

46 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I believe I was at the forefront of this issue when asking whether I can pet my “dumb yellow lab”. Your answer made sense. So I have brushed him every day since then...and washed thoroughly (because the hair and slobber is unbearable). 

You could just take him for a nice walk........thru a car wash! Two birds with one stone! 

I’m always here to help. 

A friend who just flew in from Florida through the Atlanta airport somehow got to pet my dog! I blinked, and it happened. I used one of my precious wipes on my more precious dog. She said there were about 15 people on the plane, she had her own row and took her own wipes, but still..........

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

New Englanders ?

N.H. residents sue over gatherings ban: 'We can choose to assemble if that is our desire'

HOPKINTON, N.H. — Three people who planned to attend political and religious events in the next few weeks are challenging New Hampshire’s statewide emergency ban on gatherings of 50 people or more to prevent spread of the coronavirus.

David Binford, Eric Couture and Holly Rae Beene filed a lawsuit Tuesday, the day after Republican Gov. Chris Sununu issued the order prohibiting large scheduled gatherings for social, spiritual and recreational activities. They argue there is no emergency, and that the governor is violating their constitutional rights.

“We can choose to assemble if that is our desire. What cannot occur is one man in a position of power deciding to strip us of our rights in the name of safety and without due process,” Couture said in press release.

A judge on Wednesday denied the group’s request for an immediate order halting enforcement of the ban and scheduled a hearing for Friday in Merrimack County Superior Court. A spokesman for Sununu said Thursday that the emergency order is consistent with actions taken across the country and is clearly within the governor’s authority.

“We are confident the court will agree,” said Ben Vihdstadt. ...

i wonder how they made out today.

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah it definitely was. I love his honesty. It’s needed right now. When asked a question he is willing to tell the truth no matter what.

No agenda except the facts. Not there to give himself attaboys. Hard not to like him. 

• Like (+1) 1