Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Does this mean we will see a picture of a frantic computer with every story about Wall Street instead of the worried traders in smocks on the floor? And how are the computers gonna point and look up in the distance at something we can’t see? 

saw Grasso on TV a few days ago saying the human factor and floor traders was actually still pretty important , but he applauded the move today

35 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

The blame game is not helpful right now. We need to solve this as best we can. We have what we have. Right now that's inadequate testing and hospitals getting bombarded. Our local hospital is re-using masks (unheard of) and asking for mask donations from the public. 

Even the most skeptical are coming around to this being a big deal. 

I know. You are right and I am trying. I honestly am. But it’s hard sometimes. It’s just infuriating to read some of these stories (especially knowing that some of this could have been prevented). And it’s infuriating to still see many people not taking this seriously.

I’m just scared, and sometimes that fear and anger get the best of me. 

35 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

I work in healthcare.  The mask shortage is real with no end in site.  The CDC back down on the type of mask that should be used for positive patients.  It used to be N95 masks that are actual filters.  CDC now states regular surgical masks are OK.

Front line staff are being told if they do receive a N95 that it’s OK to reuse.  That is new based on the shortage.

Front line staff are scared for themselves, coworkers and family.  Let alone the other patients we take care of that are hospitalized during this.

Not protecting those treating these patients will only infect them which will lead to massive staffing shortages.

Ive said this a couple times now, but all of you healthcare workers on the front lines are heroes in my eyes. Thank you for everything you all do. Stay as safe as you can!

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I would be willing to bet a lot of money that UB students returning to school from China at the end of January had it. I uber and picked up a lot of Asian students that all had some type of cold and there was very little testing happening at the time. There was a person that was highly suspected to have it that refused to go to hospital less than a quarter of a mile from my house and Ub in January.   

I had an odd cold in the weeks following the students coming back. Had minor sore throat, runny nose and cough but it was hard to breathe and I could only take short breaths. I also gained about 15 lbs in a few days. My feet were really swollen and I struggled to get my shoes on with the laces almost undone(I didn’t see weight gain in any corona symptoms but the dr was really worried when he heard that) My dr refused to allow me in the office when I told them my symptoms and sent me to the ER.

On my way to ER I get a call from my dr saying that I won’t be allowed into hospital and to go home. That was my last contact with my primary dr at the beginning of February. No tests or anything just go home.  Others in the area have had similar symptoms but were told the same thing as me. Stay home. 

Edit- I have a decent amount of family in law enforcement and health care and they’ve both been hinting that the numbers of infected are much higher than reported but the symptoms are so minor that people don’t go for treatment. 

How do you feel now? Have you recovered from your sickness? 

37 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I know. You are right and I am trying. I honestly am. But it’s hard sometimes. It’s just infuriating to read some of these stories (especially knowing that some of this could have been prevented). And it’s infuriating to still see many people not taking this seriously.

I’m just scared, and sometimes that fear and anger get the best of me. 

We are a community right now. This is it. We will be angry, distraught, sad...but in the end, all we are is "we." We can sort out the politics in November. I am all in on supporting anyone trying to help: left, right politician, cashier, healthcare worker, police--you name it.  

Ive said this a couple times now, but all of you healthcare workers on the front lines are heroes in my eyes. Thank you for everything you all do. Stay as safe as you can!

My wife is a hospice social worker in a large regional medical system. She may be called to do lots more soon just because bodies are needed. They've been told to expect the call. We should all be ready to throw our backs in to help however works best according to our needs. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I have a decent amount of family in law enforcement and health care and they’ve both been hinting that the numbers of infected are much higher than reported but the symptoms are so minor that people don’t go for treatment. 

That is good in a way, I have a feeling this will end up affecting the whole population. The trouble right now is to slow it enough to not overwhelm our medical workers. They need to deal with more serious patients, in Italy it is at a point where they can only help those they know they can save and it's leading to many more deaths than need be. Hospitals are really for the elderly and seriously injured. In times like these the elderly get pushed aside to treat people that they know will survive it.

50 minutes ago, Halloween Land said:

How do you feel now? Have you recovered from your sickness? 

I feel fine. Whatever I had lasted about two weeks. That was a little over a month ago. The breathing issue just disappeared one morning. The weight gain went down over a week or two. Other than the breathing issue and weight gain it seemed like just a mild cold that lasted a little longer than normal. Don’t think anyone I came in contact with got it.

But there was a decent amount of people in the Chestnut Ridge area in Amherst near Ub north that had similar symptoms. Picking up people from the Asian market in the old Walmart on blvd I noticed a lot of them had cold or flu symptoms as well. Want to be clear nothing was confirmed just symptoms matched with me. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffalo/coronavirus/2020/03/19/wny-disinfectant-kills-cause-of-coronavirus?cid=share_twitter

WNY Disinfectant Kills Cause of CoronavirusWNY Disinfectant Kills Cause of CoronavirusWNY Disinfectant Kills Cause of Coronavirus

Clarence-based Anabec Systems disinfectant solution Anasphere Plus has been on the market for three years.

"We have more than 140-plus kill claims, not just viruses but bacteria as well as mold,” said Nancy Ewing, Anabec Inc. president.

This weekend, the game changed though when the Environmental Protection Agency confirmed the product kills SARS-CoV-2, the cause of Coronavirus.

It was one of just a few hundred products to get the certification.

She says the phones have been ringing non-stop since the certification, so Anabec is partnering with another local company, Williamsville-based Sartivite, to be the master distributor.

"We really want to go after very hots pots ... government buildings, schools, universities. SUNY would be a perfect example,” said Richard Bruno,  Sartivite president and CEO.

WNY helping the cause! 

17 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Thank God that you are better. :thumbsup:

Was the breathing difficult to the point that you were afraid of choking? Also, was there anything you could do/take to make breathing easier?

(Note I have no medical training)

If interested, check out the PPP thread  'Know Anyone with a Disease'.  It is a medical cannabis thread that I began years ago.  My latest postings talk about breathing relief that I have been experiencing.  I have no idea if others are experiencing this too or if anyone else is using this 'treatment'.  I can tell you though that it works for me and the deeper breaths are wonderful.

Obviously, the 'treatment' I have been using involves cannabis products, though does not involve smoking.  I am not selling anything.  You would need to acquire the medicine on your own. 

This is currently the last page of that thread.

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/169052-know-anyone-with-a-disease-read-this/page/80/#comments

Edited by Bob in Mich
  • Like (+1) 1

This virus was first sequenced in January. The test was developed in February. The reason they don’t have millions of tests is that it takes time to manufacture them. You can’t just snap your fingers and have them up here. This is not a dream of Jeannie or bewitched. The time between sequencing the virus and producing test kits what is the fastest ever. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Wacka said:

This virus was first sequenced in January. The test was developed in February. The reason they don’t have millions of tests is that it takes time to manufacture them. You can’t just snap your fingers and have them up here. This is not a dream of Jeannie or bewitched. The time between sequencing the virus and producing test kits what is the fastest ever. 

This has been proven false, nearly 10,000 times already.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Thank God that you are better. :thumbsup:

Was the breathing difficult to the point that you were afraid of choking? Also, was there anything you could do/take to make breathing easier?

Breathing with whatever I had felt like there was something stopping my lungs from expanding like something hugging them and a pain deeper in my chest when I tried to take normal - deeper breaths. 

I want to say again that nothing was confirmed as covid-19. I don’t want to spread info that could be about something else. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

This has been proven false, nearly 10,000 times already.

...thought I read WHO offered CDC valid kits in January but CDC refused, wanting to develop their own....first iteration failed and weeks went by until it was fixed.....

17 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Breathing with whatever I had felt like there was something stopping my lungs from expanding like something hugging them and a pain deeper in my chest when I tried to take normal - deeper breaths. 

I want to say again that nothing was confirmed as covid-19. I don’t want to spread info that could be about something else. 

Did you try any OTC meds like Nyquil, etc.?

Felt like this was worth sharing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8129633/Being-young-WONT-spare-coronavirus-CDC-study-warns.html

Younger American adults are also at risk of becoming seriously ill because of the novel coronavirus, a new report reveals. 

Although those who are oldest, aged 80 and above, have the greatest risk of dying, a sizeable portion of those hospitalized were younger, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Among 508 patients known to have been hospitalized between February 12 and March 16, 38 percent were between ages 20 and 54.

And roughly 47 percent of 121 patients taken to intensive care units were under age age 65, the CDC found.

Researchers found that 20 percent of those hospitalized and 12 percent of those in intensive care were ages 20 to 44, essentially the millennial generation.

'I think everyone should be paying attention to this,' Dr Stephen Morse, a professor of epidemiology at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health, who was not involved in the report, told The New York Times

'It's not just going to be the elderly. There will be people age 20 and up. They do have to be careful, even if they think that they're young and healthy.' 

The research contradicts the notion that younger people are not at risk from serious coronavirus infections, though it supports the conclusion that older people are most at risk from fatal complications. 

Of the 44 people who deaths were discussed in the report, 20 were between ages 65 to 84 and 12 were aged 85 or older. 

Nine deaths among adults age 20 to 64 and none were reported in those aged 19 or younger.  

It links to a CDC report:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm?s_cid=mm6912e2_w#F1_down

B19DA3D5-761A-4BAE-B5FF-E91319914E7F.gif

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...thought I read WHO offered CDC valid kits in January but CDC refused, wanting to develop their own....first iteration failed and weeks went by until it was fixed.....

However we got here doesn't matter at the moment (it will for future planning and we can look forward to that day). We are here now, without adequate tests, not tracing down infected networks of people, simple supplies like masks, and more complicated supplies like ventilators. We just need to get through it somehow.

Let's just be there for each other and especially medical workers. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1