Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

Just now, John in Jax said:

LOL So not sure why some of y’all in here are going to great lengths to try and shoot down this drug (I have an idea though), but since I have been locked up at home, I have watched (& read online) a LOT of coverage about this matter, and the overwhelming “anecdotal” evidence is that it is helping WAY more people than hurting them. In fact, I haven’t seen ANY reports of it actually hurting somebody....of someone having a serious side effect. If you’re in a bad situation because you’ve contracted the virus, and the choice is between taking this drug to see if it helps you OR not taking it, the answer seems to be very clear. But yeah, don’t eat fish tank cleaner, and of course consult with you doctor before taking it.

Because spreading false hope is exactly why we are in the situation we are in. 

and no disrespect, but I think I will take this guys opinion over yours, 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_A._Haseltine

and for the record, this dude is a regular on Fox News, don’t think his agenda is what you think it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

hydroxychloroquine is used to prevent malaria, and has “quine” in it.   So does quinine water.  Quinine water was first used by the British as a way to prevent malaria.  Quinine water is also known as tonic water. It’s bitter and unpleasant to drink. Gin and tonic was invented as a way to make quinine easier to take.  Therefore, my wife and I are planning on making gin and tonic part of our daily routine. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

hydroxychloroquine is used to prevent malaria, and has “quine” in it.   So does quinine water.  Quinine water was first used by the British as a way to prevent malaria.  Quinine water is also known as tonic water. It’s bitter and unpleasant to drink. Gin and tonic was invented as a way to make quinine easier to take.  Therefore, my wife and I are planning on making gin and tonic part of our daily routine. 

have always said when i get sick i drink more cause alcohol kills germs!

• Like (+1) 1

There's some evidence that caretakers of infected people can protect their health by wearing masks, the WHO guidance said, but "there is currently no evidence that wearing a mask (whether medical or other types) by healthy persons in the wider community setting, including universal community masking, can prevent them from infection with respiratory viruses, including COVID-19."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/says-no-healthy-people-wear-184300796.html

I only posted in this thread because of it's possible contradictory nature 

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

There's some evidence that caretakers of infected people can protect their health by wearing masks, the WHO guidance said, but "there is currently no evidence that wearing a mask (whether medical or other types) by healthy persons in the wider community setting, including universal community masking, can prevent them from infection with respiratory viruses, including COVID-19."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/says-no-healthy-people-wear-184300796.html

I only posted in this thread because of it's possible contradictory nature 

I thought the whole point of the masks was even though you think you are healthy, you may actually have the virus and the masks help from spreading it..that is why i have been wearing one.

• Like (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I thought the whole point of the masks was even though you think you are healthy, you may actually have the virus and the masks help from spreading it..that is why i have been wearing one.

ergo why I only put it in the "joke" thread.

Maybe a point that should have mentioned was You only need it in public and not in your home.  

In an emergency 
LOHZDZKHE6LKGLUEVYIBOIDDGQ.jpg

this topic is crazy to not mention people in politics so I'll make some self edits and use AIRED

Fact: Hydroxychloroquine has side effects, one of which can be fatal

According to Plowe, who has been studying the drug for decades, AIRED statements are misguided. “You can lose your life. That's pretty clear.

This is a drug that can cause serious side effects. The eye issues tend to be people who've taken it for a long time. But the really serious cardiac issues — the potentially fatal cardiac arrhythmias — those can occur the first time you take the drug,” Plowe tells Yahoo Lifestyle.

“And it's not just older people who have heart issues, who are at risk. It can even occur in people with normal hearts, so that's a real concern.”

The most common side effects associated with hydroxychloroquine are headache, dizziness, nausea and vomiting, but cardiotoxicity — “medication-induced damage to the heart” — has been documented as a “rare but serious complication” of the drug. Z-packs, as AIRED, have also been tied to deadly heart complications, also in rare cases.

to see the story look up 

Abby Haglage

Yahoo Lifestyle  post date April 7, 2020, 8:30 PM EDT

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Because spreading false hope is exactly why we are in the situation we are in. 

and no disrespect, but I think I will take this guys opinion over yours, 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_A._Haseltine

and for the record, this dude is a regular on Fox News, don’t think his agenda is what you think it is. 

Wow. IT’S NOT MY OPINION, and I NEVER said that it was!

I don’t have the time, and don’t want to scour the internet for the THOUSANDS of cases where this has helped people (and NO reported “side effect” deaths), then cut and paste the stories, and put them in here....the drug is helping people ALL OVER THE WORLD. A quick Google search will let ANYBODY see that.

Here’s an example of false hope, I guess:

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/Democratic-state-rep-explains-why-she-opted-for-unproven-COVID-19-treatment-not-hospital-569461601.html

Edited by John in Jax

22 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Wow. IT’S NOT MY OPINION, and I NEVER said that it was!

I don’t have the time, and don’t want to scour the internet for the THOUSANDS of cases where this has helped people (and NO reported “side effect” deaths), then cut and paste the stories, and put them in here....the drug is helping people ALL OVER THE WORLD. A quick Google search will let ANYBODY see that.

Here’s an example of false hope, I guess:

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/Democratic-state-rep-explains-why-she-opted-for-unproven-COVID-19-treatment-not-hospital-569461601.html

The danger John is people thinking this drug is a panacea and start to relax in their precautions. As Haseltime said in the interview, in every pandamic/epidemic, there will be instances of this so called "lazarus" effect. And that dude is as smart as they come.

I agree, if you are dying and your doctor sees this as best alternative, fire away. But we do not need broad policy decisions, or see public actions change,  based on some anecdotal evidence that it has helped in some cases. 

Trust me, prolly not a person in this country who does not hope it helps and is an effective treatment.

• Like (+1) 2

Wisconsin yesterday:

Pictures like this all over the Internet.

Might want to start looking into what you need to do to be able to vote by mail (in November) in your state now. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think its very misleading to tell everyone the masks only help carriers from spreading. It sends mixed signals and is wrong in my humble opinion. You can't tell me a mask, any mask , doesn't prevent people from putting hands around their mouth or nose. You also can't tell me more filtration of the air doesn't give you more chance of catching smaller particles. Spittle/small droplets from a cough or sneeze travels. Where do you think this ends up when it lands on your lips? In your eyes?

I'm not sure If its the so called experts just trying to save face after telling everyone healthy folks need not wear a mask.

Use common sense... 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The United States on Tuesday reported more than 1,800 coronavirus-related fatalities, a new one-day high.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/04/07/coronavirus-latest-news/

a Guardian report has a higher number

And On the Other Hand: 

"A key forecasting model used by the White House has revised its prediction of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S., now estimating a peak of 60,415 by early August.  The model created by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington had predicted a peak of 81,766 deaths in an update on Sunday.  Public health experts, including Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, have previously estimated that as many as 100,000 to 200,000 Americans could die from the novel coronavirus."

So even though these numbers have been fluctuating WILDLY (Remember when they said that 2.2 million people might die [this was with no lockdowns]? Editing the latter to:  By the end of March, the White House was projecting 100,000 to 240,000 deaths as America's best-case scenario for the pandemic. That was WITH the lockdowns...so they were only off by 400% just 8 days ago). Obviously, these new numbers are GOOD news!

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/491715-key-coronavirus-model-revised-downward-predicts-60k-deaths-in-us-by-august

ETA: I'm constantly amazed at how many folks in this forum are posting up so many negative, depressing, "doom & gloom" stories, and then actually attacking and/or laughing at others (with Emoji use) for being positive and optimistic.  Just astounding....

ETA #2: I'm hearing/seeing/reading that ALL OVER THE WORLD, a LOT of people are being counted as a Covid-19 death, when the actual truth is that Covid-19 was NOT the real cause of their death. So of course, this also SKEWS the numbers. I think that we may never know the "real" numbers, especially since they keep saying that there are so many asymptomatic carriers out there. Re the latter: I don't think you can force people to get tested to see if they had the virus. And I'm pretty sure that a TON of people will pass on that test, if offered.

Edited by John in Jax

13 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

And On the Other Hand: 

"A key forecasting model used by the White House has revised its prediction of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S., now estimating a peak of 60,415 by early August.  The model created by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington had predicted a peak of 81,766 deaths in an update on Sunday.  Public health experts, including Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, have previously estimated that as many as 100,000 to 200,000 Americans could die from the novel coronavirus."

So even though these numbers have been fluctuating WILDLY (Remember when they said that 2.2 million people might die? LOL), this is GOOD news!

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/491715-key-coronavirus-model-revised-downward-predicts-60k-deaths-in-us-by-august

Just saw Cuomo with positive news on hospitalizations...looks like all this crap we have been doing is starting to work...just like the great news above!!!!

Every piece of positive new is welcomed!

• Like (+1) 4

Kiwis are apparently quite sensible birds:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/new-zealand-isnt-just-flattening-the-curve-its-squashing-it/2020/04/07/6cab3a4a-7822-11ea-a311-adb1344719a9_story.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

"It has been less than two weeks since New Zealand imposed a coronavirus lockdown so strict that swimming at the beach and hunting in bushland were banned."

"It took only 10 days for signs that the approach here — “elimination” rather than the “containment” goal of the United States and other Western countries — is working.

The number of new cases has fallen for two consecutive days, despite a huge increase in testing, with 54 confirmed or probable cases reported Tuesday. That means the number of people who have recovered, 65, exceeds the number of daily infections."

The reason that New Zealand jumped to a level 4 lockdown with only 102 cases? “We were hugely worried about what was happening in Italy and Spain,” said one of them, Stephen Tindall, founder of the Warehouse, New Zealand’s largest retailer. “If we didn’t shut down quickly enough, the pain was going to go on for a very long time,” he said in a phone interview. “It’s inevitable that we will have to shut down anyway, so we would rather it be sharp and short.”

We are doing the "pain going to go on for a very long time" in the US of A because we do not, even now, have a uniform lockdown.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1