Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

@Buffalo_Gal, the virus origin appears to be China.  But when many countries much closer to China, shared borders, citizens working there etc - and many European countries that had big outbreaks have brought it under control... I just don't see how one can finger-point China.  We could have been Taiwan, or S. Korea, or Germany, or Switzerland, or Austria.  They all had outbreaks originating from China as well.

<backs slowly out of the thread>

Although, I do thank you for the well wishes.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:51 AM, Figster said:

Not being able to see and spend time with your mom right now has got to be really hard on you. I'm so sorry to hear. 

From what I understand our outbreak was also brought in by a staff member. I heard 5 positive cases earlier Wed afternoon through the grapeveine then 8 on the news a little later. So I'm assuming 8 positive cases ( at last count ) Corry's small, everyone knows everyone. Almost everyone that lives here probably knows someone at the manor. I have a cousin that works there. A friends mom also works there. 

Not good...

Update : A reliable source is telling me 15 cases testng positive so far and our local hospital has been compromised. 

Edited by Figster

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Bill Maher has a point.......one that his usual fans will likely ignore.

The risk varies, but it's clearly there.  Recent Nature study from a NY hospital, 504 patients found relative risk  of 1.3 overall (1.4 for men, 1.2 for women) for obese patients and 1.4 overall for overweight patients (interesting that the increased risk was higher for overweight vs obese- whatcha think that means?). 
-the study attempted to control for hypertension and diabetes, but such attempts can be problematic if the number in a group who are neither is small

-A relative risk of 1.2 (20% increased risk) is usually considered borderline for significance. 

-Overall, 43% of the patients in the study died (this was a covid-only hospital at the time, and those admitted were all very very sick)

-37% of those who were neither overweight nor obese died (41/139 patients)

-54% of those who were overweight died (81/150 patients)

-40% of those who were obese died. (87/215 patients)

It's certainly a valid point that personal risk reduction is something we can control, and that improved personal health - weight reduction among it - is something for which everyone could strive.  But as to why health leadership hasn't made a campaign of it: I can think of several pretty important and relevant reasons.

Curious what your take would be on why it would be good idea to push such a message? 

Perspective on BMI etc:

BMI >40 means a 5'8" individual weighing 262 lbs. 

To lose weight to a BMI <35, such a person has to weigh 235 lbs or less; at the recommended weight loss rate of 1-2 lbs per week, this would require 14-27 weeks. 

No longer obese: BMI <30 196 lbs or less; weight loss would require 33-66 weeks.

No longer overweight: BMI <25 163 lbs or less; weight loss would require 50-100 weeks.

I may say more but I'll sleep on it first. 

Fair warning: I think this is a valid point worth discussing, but I won't allow this thread to devolve into some kind of fat-shaming or finger-pointing festival.  We have a "gentle reader" in another thread expressing the beautiful empathetic sentiment " its the fattys/sickys who spent a lifetime trashing trashing their bodies that need to worry", a sentiment which the 41/139 non-overweight or obese patients described in the linked study are no longer with us to contest.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Curious what your take would be on why it would be good idea to push such a message? 

I agree there's isn't much value in just going right to fat shaming and this is off topic, but yeah, we need healthier food and healthier attitudes about fitness and diet.

There are a whole bunch of reasons why we've let this slip so badly, from laziness to greed to political correctness.

On 8/1/2020 at 2:17 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm so sorry.  What does it mean in this context to say "our local hospital has been compromised"?

I'm assuming it to mean someone that works at the hospital also tested positive along with the two staff members from Corry Manor. Don't quote me on it though, I'm hearing this 2nd hand without details. (It could be a patient) Our local hospital is not supposed to be handling anything Covid 19 related.  Two staff members from Corry manor and 4 residents is how the story originally broke in our local newspaper.  Our small city of Corry has been lucky so far up until now holding at 6 positive cases for over a month. We went from 6 to 24 in just a few days.  Corry has a population of about 6,000.

Update: 29 testing positive to date in Corry. 18 so far from the manor.  I'm also sad to say we have 2 deaths so far from the Corry manor. Their cause of death has not been released to the public. One of them was an old friend of my moms. My cousin from the manor (staff) is still waiting for her test results. 

Edited by Figster

5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I agree there's isn't much value in just going right to fat shaming and this is off topic, but yeah, we need healthier food and healthier attitudes about fitness and diet.

There are a whole bunch of reasons why we've let this slip so badly, from laziness to greed to political correctness.

So my take on Bill Mather's spiel:

1) it's clear that overwhelmingly, by far the biggest risk factor for serious covid-19 disease or death is one that we can't control at all: Age

2) because of this, and various other narratives making the rounds that focus on death rate as the gauge of severity, younger people (and I dont mean kids - just people younger than 60 or 65) are all-too-ready to dismiss the principal risk of covid-19

3) which is, IMO,

a) the number of cases that become serious and require hospitalization.  Now that we know how many asymptomatic cases there are, this number is clearly lower than the 25% which was believed to be the case during the initial outbreaks in China and Italy, but whether it's 6% or 16% it's clearly enough to overwhelm hospitals and medical care in any locale where the disease begins to spread unimpeded.  Once the hospitals and medical systems become overwhelmed, the case fatality rate rises and becomes higher than it needs to be and

b) the difficulty of protecting the most vulnerable - the elderly, who may be living with younger people who must work, or else in congregate facilities that are vulnerable to staff introduction and spread (and once this happens, once again, the case fatality rate rises and becomes higher than it needs to be

As for fat, You're Right: we badly need healthier food and healthier choices, and a number of messages pushed at the government level were probably very mistaken.  We also badly need health care to control high blood pressure and pre-diabetes before they have serious effects.  These things have soared, especially in areas where health care coverage and access are limited.  But yeah, off topic here, except to note that reining these things in would have huge benefits in handling the next pandemic as well as the more concrete and prosaic decrease in overall health care and disability costs.

On 8/1/2020 at 12:12 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

safe_image.jpg

Food poisoning... So basically she saying she wants to chew peanuts and spit them in the face of people with peanut allergies b.c FREEDOM.

I don't think people understand freedom. You have a responsibility to protect others also under this freedom and if that means wearing a mask when I am in a store buying something it's not a problem. Freedom means nothing when you're selfish.

Edited by TBBills

6 hours ago, TBBills said:

Food poisoning... So basically she saying she wants to chew peanuts and spit them in the face of people with peanut allergies b.c FREEDOM.

I don't think people understand freedom. You have a responsibility to protect others also under this freedom and if that means wearing a mask when I am in a store buying something it's not a problem. Freedom means nothing when you're selfish.

You do understand that is written as satire, right?

anyone struggling to figure out schooling?  it's shocking how many different models there are per district, and per grade.  some are part time for all levels, (2 days in, 3 days at home).  some are 5 days full time for elementary.  my nephew's district is 5 half days for elementary.  some are trying to go complete remote learning.  it's incredible to how all over the place this is.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, teef said:

anyone struggling to figure out schooling?  it's shocking how many different models there are per district, and per grade.  some are part time for all levels, (2 days in, 3 days at home).  some are 5 days full time for elementary.  my nephew's district is 5 half days for elementary.  some are trying to go complete remote learning.  it's incredible to how all over the place this is.

My kids (two) will be on the same day for ease of transport and planning, 2 days in spaced apart, 3 days at home. Me and their mom agreed this is the best option and our district allowed it to be voted on by the parents.

36 minutes ago, teef said:

I (thankfully) don’t have any kids in school, but talking with friends and family in multiple different counties and states, plans definitely seem to be all over the place.

Like my friend near Rochester, their school is likely going with a hybrid plan - 2 days in class 3 days remote (or vise versa, can’t remember). They have detailed guidelines and require the kids to wear masks at all times.

My cousin who teaches elementary school upstate, her school is having the kids at school 5 days a week. They have to wear masks entering the school but are allowed to take them off once they sit at their desk. She’s very worried about this, to say the least.

22 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

My kids (two) will be on the same day for ease of transport and planning, 2 days in spaced apart, 3 days at home. Me and their mom agreed this is the best option and our district allowed it to be voted on by the parents.

11 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I (thankfully) don’t have any kids in school, but talking with friends and family in multiple different counties and states, plans definitely seem to be all over the place.

Like my friend near Rochester, their school is likely going with a hybrid plan - 2 days in class 3 days remote (or vise versa, can’t remember). They have detailed guidelines and require the kids to wear masks at all times.

My cousin who teaches elementary school upstate, her school is having the kids at school 5 days a week. They have to wear masks entering the school but are allowed to take them off once they sit at their desk. She’s very worried about this, to say the least.

our district has the same set up.  two days in and three days at home.  it seems to be the elementary schools that are the only ones to consider the 5 days.  our daughter is going into kindergarten, so i don't know how the three days at home is going to work.  we're 90% we'll have to send her private.  we do want her in school more than 2 days, but we both work full time, and have no idea who care will work out otherwise.  it's actually cheaper to send her to a 5 day a week private school than it is back to daycare, (they're starting a kindergarten program to help parents out).

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, teef said:

I think the school distracts are struggling to figure it out *ducking*

Seriously, it's a problem.  My friend from Big Pharma is working from home these days but he can't work and teach.  His wife, a preschool teacher, decided to quit her job to stay home and supervise the video learning/supplement.  They have the salary to consider doing that.