Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

2 hours ago, spartacus said:

no cases and only 5 dead

sounds like NY should be re-opened

They are reopening and have been for over a month now. They’re just following the CDC guidelines. Western NY just entered into phase 4 today (the final phase). 

You can’t just reopen with total disregard for this virus or you get big spikes/outbreaks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

They are reopening and have been for over a month now. They’re just following the CDC guidelines. Western NY just entered into phase 4 today (the final phase). 

You can’t just reopen with total disregard for this virus or you get big spikes/outbreaks.

Yeah, sorry... was just being sarcastic.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The bold shows that more testing doesn’t automatically have to = rising case numbers. Yes, you want to test and find more cases, but the ultimate reason for more testing is to get the positive case numbers trending Down, not Up. If you’re testing more and just keep finding more and more and more cases, you’re doing something wrong.

You have to give NY credit for the way they’ve handled the largest outbreak (so far) in the country. It’s a shame all 50 states aren’t in the same position. I feel like they (more/less) could be if they had just followed the same guidelines NY did.
There doesn’t seem to be any magic secret. Just follow the CDC guidelines for reopening, wear masks and social distance. 

Yep....I posted this the other thread as well, here in CT we followed guidelines and look what has happened....testing has increased and we are finding less cases and have falling hospitalizations and deaths. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/conn-covid-19-testing-increases-hospitalizations-positive-test-rate-decline/ar-BB16ao6K?ocid=hplocalnews

• Like (+1) 1

Yesterday is about two weeks from the case spikes starting in TX, CA, and AZ. One week from Florida’s. You’d look for deaths to follow cases at 2-4 weeks. 

Yesterday TX, CA, and AZ had their highest deaths since mid May. Could be a blip (Tuesday’s are always high but this was the highest since May) but watch that 7 day trend starting about now and for the next few weeks. 

Deaths are no longer coupled in the same way to cases (ratio is much lower, for many reasons: better treatments, younger patients, asymptomatic positives) so this will be the thing to watch. How much will the deaths rise in proportion to the cases? 

Hospitals in most places still in decent shape but the hospital curves on admissions In those states are yougly. 

Edited by shoshin

new Yale study (supported by the national institute of health):

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2767980

‘Estimation of Excess Deaths Associated With the COVID-19 Pandemic in the United States, March to May 2020‘

Findings  In this cohort study, the number of deaths due to any cause increased by approximately 122 000 from March 1 to May 30, 2020, which is 28% higher than the reported number of COVID-19 deaths.

Meaning  Official tallies of deaths due to COVID-19 underestimate the full increase in deaths associated with the pandemic in many states.

Abstract

Importance  Efforts to track the severity and public health impact of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the United States have been hampered by state-level differences in diagnostic test availability, differing strategies for prioritization of individuals for testing, and delays between testing and reporting. Evaluating unexplained increases in deaths due to all causes or attributed to nonspecific outcomes, such as pneumonia and influenza, can provide a more complete picture of the burden of COVID-19.

Our analyses suggest that the official tally of deaths due to Covid-19 represent a substantial undercount of the true burden,” Dan Weinberger, an epidemiologist at Yale School of Public Health and a lead author on the study, said.”

Summary:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/official-us-coronavirus-death-toll-is-a-substantial-undercount-of-actual-tally-new-yale-study-finds.html

Took two family members to immediate care for testing. None of the nurses had masks on their face and the one doing the test repeated same thing other Drs have been saying that this is completely over blown. 

Just repeating what yet another medical professional has said. I didn’t choose where we went just where they set up an appointment so it’s not just me surrounding myself with more ignorant people that I didn’t choose before either.

I also uber in spare time and get tested often because of that so I come across a lot of medical workers that all have said similar. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

5 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Took two family members to immediate care for testing. None of the nurses had masks on their face and the one doing the test repeated same thing other Drs have been saying that this is completely over blown. 

Just repeating what another medical professional has said. I didn’t choose where we went just where they set up an appointment so it’s not just me surrounding myself with more ignorant people that I didn’t choose before either.

going to a place where none of the nurses had masks on their faces should let you know the quality of the center you're at.  i even have a hard time believing that.

my next door neighbor is the chief of his department at a large local hospital.  he finds this very concerning.  our friends who are bothe phds at strong hospital think this is  very serious.  

you can keep repeating stories on how you run into medical professionals that don't think much of it, but i work and live with these people, and they seem to think the exact opposite of what you're hearing.  not saying you have to listen to my experiences, but the respected people i know don't feel that way...at all.

• Like (+1) 5

26 minutes ago, teef said:

going to a place where none of the nurses had masks on their faces should let you know the quality of the center you're at.  i even have a hard time believing that.

my next door neighbor is the chief of his department at a large local hospital.  he finds this very concerning.  our friends who are bothe phds at strong hospital think this is  very serious.  

you can keep repeating stories on how you run into medical professionals that don't think much of it, but i work and live with these people, and they seem to think the exact opposite of what you're hearing.  not saying you have to listen to my experiences, but the respected people i know don't feel that way...at all.

Go to immediate care on Niagara Falls blvd in Amherst. I just left, only person with a mask covering their face was the guy at the door. The rest had them under their chin. 

i really want to find these medical professionals that take this seriously besides the people on TV. The only people I can find that are scared of this are on the internet(here) or TV.

I deal with a lot of Dr’s from my injuries. A lot of different Drs because insurance company wants their drs to check me out too. I’ve been to appointments in different states. I am literally at a different doctors office Monday- Saturday. Sometimes multiple Drs a day. All say same or very similar thing. It’s nowhere near as big of a deal that it’s being made out to be. Yes there’s some issues for elderly or immunodeficiency but there’s risks with everything. Pretty much all said the political climate is causing this to be extremely overblown. It should have been handled like SARS or Swine Flu were. 

15 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Go to immediate care on Niagara Falls blvd in Amherst. I just left, only person with a mask covering their face was the guy at the door. The rest had them under their chin. 

i really want to find these medical professionals that take this seriously besides the people on TV. The only people I can find that are scared of this are on the internet(here) or TV.

I deal with a lot of Dr’s from my injuries. A lot of different Drs because insurance company wants their drs to check me out too. I’ve been to appointments in different states. All say same or very similar thing. It’s nowhere near as big of a deal that it’s being made out to be. Yes there’s some issues for elderly or immunodeficiency but there’s risks with everything. Pretty much all said the political climate is causing this to be extremely overblown. It should have been handled like SARS or Swine Flu were. 

You do realize that this is effecting the entire world, right?

My wife works at a local medical centre, and even though New Zealand hasn't had any community transmission for well over a month, the staff must still wear full PPE gear when testing patients.

As stated above by Teef… I think this goes to show the quality of care that you're receiving.  (Or you're full of it and are just being a troll.)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Just repeating what yet another medical professional has said. I didn’t choose where we went just where they set up an appointment so it’s not just me surrounding myself with more ignorant people that I didn’t choose before either.

I also uber in spare time and get tested often because of that so I come across a lot of medical workers that all have said similar. 

All of the medical professional I know say the exact opposite. I have numerous friends and family in healthcare. A couple work at hospitals that have dealt with a lot of covid cases. The stories they tell scare the **** out of me. 

13 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I deal with a lot of Dr’s from my injuries. A lot of different Drs because insurance company wants their drs to check me out too. I’ve been to appointments in different states. All say same or very similar thing. It’s nowhere near as big of a deal that it’s being made out to be. Yes there’s some issues for elderly or immunodeficiency but there’s risks with everything. Pretty much all said the political climate is causing this to be extremely overblown. It should have been handled like SARS or Swine Flu were. 

think about it...you go to a place that tests for covid, and they're not even wearing masks.  i assume it's an urgent care(i'm guessing same as an immediate care), which are questionable to begin with.  that being said, they should be reported.  

you really want to find these medical professionals?  go to any hospital.  i have no idea who you've been talking to, but i was an attending at a local hospital and still have many contacts there.  i had dinner with a friend two weeks ago that's the head of his oral surgery unit...he's concerned.  

again, don't believe me if you want to, but these outbreaks are going to effect your life whether you want it to or not.  ignore or minimize this any way you like, but it's an issue.  just today i learned that one of my employees' husband had to be tested because of a sudden fever.  if he has it, she gets tested.  if she has it, we all get tested.  if any of us have it, we have a new issue on our hands.  are we worried about dying?  no, but i am concerned about the safety of my family, staff, and the people that walk into my office.  

Just now, Bad Things said:

You do realize that this is effecting the entire world, right?

My wife works at a local medical centre, and even though New Zealand hasn't had any community transmission for well over a month, the staff must still wear full PPE gear when testing patients.

As stated above by Teef… I think this goes to show the quality of care that you're receiving.  (Or you're full of it and are just being a troll.)

think about it.  a site testing for covid, and people aren't wearing ppe properly?  i would run in the other direction.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, teef said:

think about it...you go to a place that tests for covid, and they're not even wearing masks.  i assume it's an urgent care(i'm guessing same as an immediate care), which are questionable to begin with.  that being said, they should be reported.  

you really want to find these medical professionals?  go to any hospital.  i have no idea who you've been talking to, but i was an attending at a local hospital and still have many contacts there.  i had dinner with a friend two weeks ago that's the head of his oral surgery unit...he's concerned.  

again, don't believe me if you want to, but these outbreaks are going to effect your life whether you want it to or not.  ignore or minimize this any way you like, but it's an issue.  just today i learned that one of my employees' husband had to be tested because of a sudden fever.  if he has it, she gets tested.  if she has it, we all get tested.  if any of us have it, we have a new issue on our hands.  are we worried about dying?  no, but i am concerned about the safety of my family, staff, and the people that walk into my office.  

I go to roswell, cancer center on Harlem, buffalo general, Ecmc and sometimes one of Fillmore suburban or degraff(ew). Then there’s the actual Drs and surgeons offices. There’s about 7 of them. Then there’s treatment and pain management(I don’t consider them to be the same as a hospital or Dr) So we will leave them out. 

I have multiple family members that work at suburban and st Joes on covid floor. Have family at memorial and st. Mary’s in the falls. Other cousin just did some type of training at strong and is back here at children’s. She also just had dinner with nurses from strong as soon as restaurants allowed people in that said this is a complete over reaction.  There’s more that’s just my parents siblings and for most part they’re on lower end of totem pole. The older ones are higher up. My family on both sides is very large and there’s a lot of medical professionals on both sides. I’ll continue later after my scans are done.

5 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I go to roswell, cancer center on Harlem, buffalo general, Ecmc and sometimes one of Fillmore suburban or degraff(ew). Then there’s the actual Drs and surgeons offices. There’s about 7 of them. Then there’s treatment and pain management(I don’t consider them to be the same as a hospital or Dr) So we will leave them out. 

I have multiple family members that work at suburban and st Joes on covid floor. Have family at memorial and st. Mary’s in the falls. Other cousin just did some type of training at strong and is back here at children’s. She also just had dinner with nurses from strong as soon as restaurants allowed people in that said this is a complete over reaction.  There’s more. My family on both sides is very large and there’s a lot of medical professionals on both sides. I’ll continue later after my scans are done.

good luck with your scans.  i don't know man.  like i said, i live and work with medical professionals.  maybes there's a stark difference between how wny handles it and how the finger lakes region handles it.  no one is "scared" of it, but everyone is very aware to still be cautious.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I have multiple family members that work at suburban and st Joes on covid floor. Have family at memorial and st. Mary’s in the falls. Other cousin just did some type of training at strong and is back here at children’s. She also just had dinner with nurses from strong as soon as restaurants allowed people in that said this is a complete over reaction.  There’s more. My family on both sides is very large and there’s a lot of medical professionals on both sides. I’ll continue later after my scans are done.

Well, if that's the case, then there shouldn't be any surprise why America leads the world in infections and deaths.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Well, if that's the case, then there shouldn't be any surprise why America leads the world in infections and deaths.

it's a very strong opinion that many hold.  

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

All of the medical professional I know say the exact opposite. I have numerous friends and family in healthcare. A couple work at hospitals that have dealt with a lot of covid cases. The stories they tell scare the **** out of me. 

A nurse from kenmore mercy was out running with her dog at the park when she was home sick with covid. She nonchalantly said a bunch of nurses and employees had it and went on her way. Now I didn’t physically see her positive result. But she was “home” for 3 weeks and her neighbor said same thing. So they’re not taking it very serious in Buffalo. 

I’m not just coming here making stuff to try and get bad things to call my family and I names. I’m repeating what I hear or am told. Some I wasn’t supposed to hear and was told not to repeat. Some they said they don’t care who hears.

You don’t have to believe me(goes for anyone). There’s an ignore feature for a reason. I apologize if I get out of line or defensive but I’m honestly just repeating what i heard, that and I ask a lot of questions.