Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

There are claims that if there isn’t enough testing then the deaths can be attributed to other causes, such as pneumonia, stroke, organ failure, autoimmune disorders, etc.  That way they can keep the covid death count low to make it seem like it’s no big deal.  You can find news articles that take both sides in that argument.  Science isn’t supposed to be about taking sides and arguments, but we’re talking about Florida. 

Yes, no surprise there. But unfortunately science has been politicized since, well, the beginning of time perhaps? 

On the one hand you have politicians who don't really understand the science and are simply focused on keeping their base of supporters happy. Some who think they know more than what the consensus of experts suggest. Then a few others (like the PM of New Zealand) who have basically turned over the handling of this pandemic to the scientific experts.

Copernicus would find this all very familiar, I think.

Just me, or does anyone think there may be a link between between all the college football players testing positive and the protests? I have not read of any these folks attending or not attending protests, so pure speculation on my part.  Just they are in the age group that participated heavily the last 4 weeks.Having said that, I have not read of any of the positives being very sick, but that certainly could be the case. The only piece that mentioned symptoms that I  have read said almost all asymptomatic.

My sense is if they were not athletes prolly not tested, and i think it would be useful information to know this information.

Edited by plenzmd1

FDA issues warning over certain hand sanitizers due to potentially toxic chemicals

The Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers not to purchase hand sanitizer manufactured from Eskbiochem SA de CV due to the potential presence of toxic chemicals.

Nine products manufactured by the Mexico-based company, which are still on the market, may contain methanol, which can be poisonous if absorbed through the skin or ingested, the FDA said in a letter.

The FDA said methanol should not be used in hand sanitizers due to its toxic effects and consumers who have been exposed should seek immediate medical treatment. Significant exposure to the chemical can cause nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death, the FDA's warning reads.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/fda-warning-hand-sanitizers-methanol

On 6/22/2020 at 7:53 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Just me, or does anyone think there may be a link between between all the college football players testing positive and the protests? I have not read of any these folks attending or not attending protests, so pure speculation on my part.  Just they are in the age group that participated heavily the last 4 weeks.Having said that, I have not read of any of the positives being very sick, but that certainly could be the case. The only piece that mentioned symptoms that I  have read said almost all asymptomatic.

My sense is if they were not athletes prolly not tested, and i think it would be useful information to know this information.

I don’t know about the protests, but I just heard on Dan Patrick that the rash of Clemson players getting it didn’t come from workouts, etc, but from bar hopping together and hitting some of the same parties. They are, after all, college kids! 

I find it hard to believe that the protests did NOT play a significant factor in spreading this. The article you posted elsewhere seems to validate that. Big crowds, close contact, lots of chanting and shouting. Sounds ideal. Just like a crowded bar. 

• Like (+1) 1

First time I have seen Covid and the protest linked. Very surprising to see it reported in the LA Times

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-22/for-third-day-in-a-week-l-a-county-reports-more-than-2-000-new-coronavirus-cases

@plenzmd1 this is your post from the facts thread (I don’t know how to quote a post in a different thread).

It’s not surprising to see that they suspect the protests are causing covid spikes. 

With so many people packed close together, chanting/singing/yelling, the potential was always there. 

I wonder why their contact tracing program doesn’t track cases that stem from public settings? That seems like a pretty big hole in the tracing program. Is it just too hard, or what? 

But because contact tracers do not track cases that stem from public settings, it’s often impossible to pinpoint the origin of spread at such events, particularly given that the protests occurred while the county was lifting many of its stay-at-home restrictions.

She also mentions restaurants and workplaces

Ferrer said restaurant settings and parties may also be linked to several clusters of infections in recent weeks, despite the county’s ongoing prohibition of gatherings beyond religious services and political protests. Newly reopened workplaces where people are in close contact may also be a factor.

I saw she said this as well:

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/06/16/1000-la-county-restaurants-not-complying-with-health-orders/

About half of the restaurants visited by Los Angeles County health inspectors over the weekend were not complying with coronavirus protocols, officials disclosed Monday.

L.A. County Public Health Director Dr. Barbara Ferrer reported that approximately 50% of the 2,000 restaurants visited by inspectors were not complying with health guidelines.

However, Ferrer said the numbers were an improvement on last week, where the rate of restaurants in compliance was under 25%. She said some of the issues appeared to stem from a lack of understanding of the protocols.

Thats another likely source for the spikes for sure (IMO). It’s an indoor setting, where we know covid can spread easier than it can outdoors. And People can’t eat with a mask on. They’re also more likely to have hand to mouth contact of some type (either touching/wiping their mouth, or touching their food with their hands and then putting it in their mouth). 

Many people seem to be done worrying about this virus. But as Dr. Ferrer said:

“The virus is not done with us,” she said.

Nothing has changed as we open up. The virus is still here. It still spreads the same way. There’s still potential for new outbreaks. People can’t let their guards down. We still have to follow all the health+safety guidelines. It’s even more important now.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I don’t know about the protests, but I just heard on Dan Patrick that the rash of Clemson players getting it didn’t come from workouts, etc, but from bar hopping together and hitting some of the same parties. They are, after all, college kids! 

I find it hard to believe that the protests did NOT play a significant factor in spreading this. The article you posted elsewhere seems to validate that. Big crowds, close contact, lots of chanting and shouting. Sounds ideal. Just like a crowded bar. 

I agree, but will say this. In a bar, you cannot wear a mask and drink, for the most part. In bars and restaurants the customers are mostly unmasked, by necessity. In many places the staff is unmasked, too. I guess they think masks will make the clientele nervous--- or something. 

At least in a protest you see many people wearing their masks. Not perfect to be sure. But hopefully those who wear the masks have a measure of protection.

Edited by The Dean

59 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Many people seem to be done worrying about this virus. But as Dr. Ferrer said:

Nothing has changed as we open up. The virus is still here. It still spreads the same way. There’s still potential for new outbreaks. People can’t let their guards down. We still have to follow all the health+safety guidelines. It’s even more important now.

Complacency has set in.

We are, BY FAR, the most immature generation in our country’s history. Previous generations were asked to make the ultimate sacrifice in service of a greater good. We were asked to stay home on the couch or wear a mask and it’s just too much for our delicate, spoiled sensibilities. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't understand why they couldn't do what restaurants are doing here. No indoor seating just patios are allowed to open. Keeping people apart outside is much better then being indoors as it's been shown that the virus can spread much easier indoors. 

17 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I agree, but will say this. In a bar, you cannot wear a mask and drink, for the most part. In bars and restaurants the customers are mostly unmasked, by necessity. In many places the staff is unmasked, too. I guess they think masks will make the clientele nervous--- or something. 

At least in a protest you see many people wearing their masks. Not perfect to be sure. But hopefully those who wear the masks have a measure of protection.

The guy in the second tweet below seems to have it figured out.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, The Dean said:

https://www.etsy.com/market/straw_mask

On 6/20/2020 at 1:40 PM, The Dean said:

Yes, no surprise there. But unfortunately science has been politicized since, well, the beginning of time perhaps? 

On the one hand you have politicians who don't really understand the science and are simply focused on keeping their base of supporters happy. Some who think they know more than what the consensus of experts suggest. Then a few others (like the PM of New Zealand) who have basically turned over the handling of this pandemic to the scientific experts.

Copernicus would find this all very familiar, I think.

Yes. Many politicians are like the Inquisition and other political organizations (despite being based on religion the Holy Inquisition was a political one as well) and anything which does not match up with their bible (little b) is heresy.  

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

Certainly more people wearing masks at protests, from what I’ve seen. (Still not ideal, but....)  As you say, how do you eat and drink with a mask on? Not happening. Also, bars get crowded, people lose some inhibitions and common sense.

I’ve been going to restaurants with outdoor dining or extremely low density. I also go to the places where the staff is good about wearing masks. It limits my options, but what a tiny little issue that is in the big picture!

My Barber shop lost half their staff because they didn’t want to wear masks all day. The owner said too bad, you adapt or you go find a new gig, which I appreciate! Optional for customers to wear masks, but I did as did most others.

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

The guy in the second tweet below seems to have it figured out.

The cigarette guy is a genius!

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Certainly more people wearing masks at protests, from what I’ve seen. (Still not ideal, but....)  As you say, how do you eat and drink with a mask on? Not happening. Also, bars get crowded, people lose some inhibitions and common sense.

I’ve been going to restaurants with outdoor dining or extremely low density. I also go to the places where the staff is good about wearing masks. It limits my options, but what a tiny little issue that is in the big picture!

My Barber shop lost half their staff because they didn’t want to wear masks all day. The owner said too bad, you adapt or you go find a new gig, which I appreciate! Optional for customers to wear masks, but I did as did most others.

My buddy went to the barber. My buddy wore a mask and the barber wore a mask and face shield.

OTOH, another friend went to get his haircut and was asked by the stylist to REMOVE her mask. I suppose maybe it got in the way of some of the cutting. But she said the stylist wore a mask. THAT should be required, IMO.

My hair is looking particularly mullet-y, but I'm going to live with it for awhile. Grew my full beard back, too.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Fun fact, the MD doesn’t actually stand for MadDog though! We did speed drinking challenges with it when I was pledging. Woof

MadDog was it's street nickname. 

It stands for Mogen David. It was 20% alcohol back in the day in Niagara Falls. I guess in some places it was lower in proof. 

On nights when one would drink Ripple, they went "Ripplin'". "I got Rippled last night"

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/23/2020 at 5:00 PM, The Dean said:

The cigarette guy is a genius!

My buddy went to the barber. My buddy wore a mask and the barber wore a mask and face shield.

OTOH, another friend went to get his haircut and was asked by the stylist to REMOVE her mask. I suppose maybe it got in the way of some of the cutting. But she said the stylist wore a mask. THAT should be required, IMO.

My hair is looking particularly mullet-y, but I'm going to live with it for awhile. Grew my full beard back, too.

I’ve been to my barber every week since this started. Neither of us have worn any type of face covering. 

My friends job is being hit pretty hard by covid. Half the employees have it and more are out sick. The longest their symptoms have lasted was a day and a half and the longest someone was out of work before being cleared by a dr was 5 days. None had any signs of anything in their lungs. They all thought they had a minor flu or food poisoning.

They all laugh at everyone panicking over this. Shoot I see a few Dr’s a week and they all say it’s complete bull#### to close stuff down. Same thing with all my family members in health care A few of them work on the “covid floor” at their respective hospitals. They can’t believe the world is shut down for this. 

I had the pleasure of watching three microbiologists argue about covid. The one that just graduated from UB is the only one taking it serious. The other two just kinda laughed and provided examples of why this is all an over reaction over pretty much nothing. The UB student was gung ho about this being the end of the world and the experienced ones didn’t care about it at all. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos