Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

13 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

America used to have the foremost expertise in how to fight an epidemic.  We literally wrote the book the rest of the world now uses.

Many of those people, that expertise, are still in the CDC

They are demoralized as all get out.  They are literally working super-hard to do what they know how to do - only to see their work pushed aside or thrown in the trash while inexperienced tyros fumble around reinventing the wheel (or trying to replace the wheel with a triangle)

I'm not saying the CDC didn't have its missteps.  It did.  But Fauci, although a good scientist and a good man, is NOT an epidemiologist and it shows sometimes in what he says. 

We really need to put epidemiologists in charge and empower them to get us out of this.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

We sure are.  That's why Sweden is so critical to me.  Being in Ohio, population ~11 mil, Michigan pop ~ 10 mil and Sweden pop ~10 mil.  Sweden's worse off then Ohio but better than Michigan (in terms of deaths) so will they mitigate or escalate?  If the former than USA should do ok.  If the latter look out.

Part of what makes this country great is that independent spirit and not wanting to be told what to do by our government.  Sadly, it works against us now.  If people were exploding blood in the streets maybe more people would wake up and realize the importance of lockdown and preventative measures.  But, given Sweden's results thus far I'm hopeful reopening doesn't create a bigger mess.

You look at how S. Korea, China took symptomatic people and isolated them in gyms, dorms, etc.  There'd be a civil war here if we tried to do that!

So, here we go...

Look how many BAD things government told people and contributed to issue including those by in health employed by government.

The government has silenced whistle blowers. I have gotten campaign material which was stressing these decisions!

Look at some of the previous decisions by our government including Japanese lockdowns during WWII with absolutely no evidence of any Japanese doing any sort of espionage with plenty of evidence of those with German and Italian heritage.

If our government told me I needed to go into a dorm I'd question them yes and for good reasons.

I'll listen to medical personal but NOT those connected to government at any level.

50 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

At this stage, I'd say a haircut is worth about 6-8 lives.  Maybe 10-12 if they are all people like her.

I never thought I'd google "black market barber shops" before.

8 hours ago, Figster said:

If you are willing to wear a mask (properly) and practice social distancing you are not being selfish for wanting our way of life to get back to normal IMO.

We have hard working Americans in food lines to feed their children. People need to work, collect a paycheck.

The ones who will not wear a mask and practice social distancing are the real problem. 

Seems to me the people unwilling to wear a mask seem to be the one's most bullish on reopening everything asap.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I noticed on a map posted by @Hapless Bills Fan a couple posts up that there is a hot spot in the middle of New York State.  This is the reason...

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/05/green-empire-farms-outbreak-madison-county-tests-150-more-farmworkers-for-coronavirus.html

A huge greenhouse in the middle of nowhere halfway between Utica and Syracuse has hundreds of workers with crowded living and working conditions.  It’s somewhat similar to the meat packing plant problems in the middle of the country.   Once it gets started, it gets to almost everybody. 

Thanks for the info!  It sounds, in fact, very analogous to the meat packing plants of the midwest.

It seems to me that starting with Washington state, there's a pattern:

1) Patient A infected with covid-19.  Attempts to trace contacts and test focus on people Patient A remembers or has had most/closest contact with

2) Meanwhile covid-19 from Patient A has spread outside that most/closest circle, quite possibly asymptomatically

3) covid-19 spends 2-3 reproduction cycles spreading silently in non-susceptible population

4) Several of those cases propegate into a super-spreader situation (church choir etc) or into a susceptible environment (care home, nursing home) and blow up

It'll be interesting to see what happens in Buchanan County and Kansas City, MO from the Triumph meat packing plant.  The key there is about 60 of the infected Triumph workers live in Kansas City, which has not been heavily stricken for whatever reason.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Warcodered said:

What I don't get is the idea that opening back up quickly is going to magically fix the economy. I mean when this thing ramps up and more and more people are getting sick and dying who the hell is going to want to be out shopping.

Well some businesses seems to think so.  One was advertising on radio to come down to their dealerships (Toyota / Honda brands) while there were great sales when there were few customers.  That radio ad did not last very long before someone at station told them to change it or remove it.  Even seen some small clothing only stores open with half price sales.

We have only been out to buy food and every store we have been in but one has had restricted entries and almost everyone wore masks.

We went to office supply store for something I needed to continue to work at home and it was only customer but that was partially done due to work on parking lot preventing access to store except if you knew back way from another shopping plaza and behind all of the buildings in shopping plaza.

Note: We have seen multiple work zones both on roads and in parking lots and in not one was anyone wearing a mask.  Evidently in Virginia this type of work is considered "essential" while other small businesses go under. 

Edited by Limeaid
typo

22 hours ago, Warcodered said:

What I don't get is the idea that opening back up quickly is going to magically fix the economy. I mean when this thing ramps up and more and more people are getting sick and dying who the hell is going to want to be out shopping.

The economy is screwed no matter what. Even if everything opened up 100% tomorrow. Most people don't realize how ****ed they/we are and are in for a big wake up call. 

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Seems to me the people unwilling to wear a mask seem to be the one's most bullish on reopening everything asap.  

Such a good point to make, thanks Doc Brown,

Here in Erie County Pa we entered into the yellow phase after seeing the biggest spike our county has seen yesterday. Our numbers are still very low, but it goes to show the need for unity.

Its imparative everyone works together on this Doc...

40 minutes ago, Figster said:

Such a good point to make, thanks Doc Brown,

Here in Erie County Pa we entered into the yellow phase after seeing the biggest spike our county has seen yesterday. Our numbers are still very low, but it goes to show the need for unity.

Its imparative everyone works together on this Doc...

Spike in new cases or deaths as increased testing capabilities could be responsible.

I'm pretty bullish when it comes to working as quickly as possible to open things up, but we have to wear masks and social distance or we'll be back to square one.  The "no masks" crowd drives me nuts.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Spike in new cases or deaths as increased testing capabilities could be responsible.

I'm pretty bullish when it comes to working as quickly as possible to open things up, but we have to wear masks and social distance or we'll be back to square one.  The "no masks" crowd drives me nuts.

Myself personally, from my own observations I've watched a decrease in the use of masks and other protective measures taken in my community since the announcement of our county going into the yellow phase. Mostly house/yard gatherings albeit and probably with close friends or other family members. Just watched a group across the street pulling up, younger couple with their son carrying a hanging basket of flowers. In all likelihood a mothers day gift. Nobody wearing a mask visting senior citizens.

If you visit mom on mothers Day, for those of us who are fortunate enough to do so, pls wear a mask for moms sake.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Confused here: What do increased deaths have to do with increased testing capabilities?

I think two ways in my mind about increased testing showing increased cases.

On the one hand.....sure, if you start testing more, and see more cases, it doesn't mean the scope of the disease problem is getting worse, it just means you're seeing the scope of the problem better.

On the other hand, if you test more and start seeing more cases, it means you haven't been testing enough to really understand the scope of the problem you have and make good decisions about it.  When you look at places like (say) Tompkins County, as they started testing more they didn't really see more cases, the % of positives just dropped (good thing, 'cuz the Drs and Nurses were off in NYC as relief staff.

I personally feel that if our leaders had really pushed a consistent message from the start to mask up and required businesses to space people out, we could probably have left a lot more stuff open.  But after NYC started ballooning out of control, they were understandably nervous of seeing NYC all over the country and wanted to shut down hard.

More and more, I think the teachings of EIS (epidemic school at CDC) are right: a public health crisis is a communications problem as much or more as it is a health problem.

2 hours ago, Figster said:

Myself personally, from my own observations I've watched a decrease in the use of masks and other protective measures taken in my community since the announcement of our county going into the yellow phase. Mostly house/yard gatherings albeit and probably with close friends or other family members. Just watched a group across the street pulling up, younger couple with their son carrying a hanging basket of flowers. In all likelihood a mothers day gift. Nobody wearing a mask visting senior citizens.

If you visit mom on mothers Day, for those of us who are fortunate enough to do so, pls wear a mask for moms sake.

At least around here, there are very mixed messages.  We have our Missouri governor calling mask wearing "a personal choice, and I choose not to" at the same time as we have businesses increasingly saying "no mask, no admittance".  I think people are confused. 

I, too, see fewer people on the street wearing masks in the last few days.  And it's a shame, because I think if we all do wear masks, we could open up and stay open.

• Like (+1) 1

'What are we doing this for?': Doctors are fed up with conspiracies ravaging ERs
"I left work and I felt so deflated," one doctor said about an effort to counter misinformation he saw on Facebook. "I let it get to me."

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/what-are-we-doing-doctors-are-fed-conspiracies-ravaging-ers-n1201446?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Dr. Duncan Maru, a physician and epidemiologist in Queens, New York, said he had heard from colleagues that a young patient had come into the emergency room last week with damage to his intestinal tract after having ingested bleach. The incident occurred just days after President Donald Trump suggested that "injection" of disinfectants should be researched as a potential coronavirus treatment.

Edited by Limeaid
added title
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Confused here: What do increased deaths have to do with increased testing capabilities?

I assume more testing = more deaths refers to documenting the cause of death.  

Cuomo got skewered in social media when they added “probable” covid deaths to the death count.

Many places in the world (Mexico, for example) have low stats for covid deaths, but the dead bodies are stacking up at a much higher rate than is being reported. 

It may take years to get an accurate death count, and some people will dispute it no matter what.

36 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...with the flood of data and no apparent consistency in sample sizes, release before peer review et al (perhaps rushed to publication for a whole host of never ending reasons), how do you and your scientific colleagues ferret it all out  to hopefully arrive at a reliable database albeit 50% or optimistically 75% to begin to draw viable conclusions going forward to be beneficial?....seems like an unenviable yeoman's task to a layperson...

I'm not sure about the question here?

On 5/8/2020 at 1:39 AM, BillsFan4 said:

This.

I hate to say it, but this is what is being projected to the rest of the world.

While almost every other country has bonded together to collectively fight this virus for their own common good, America just seems to be awash in mixed messages and in-fighting.

It certainly does not project the image of a strong, resilient country.

Again, please don't get me wrong, I'm only wanting to see a positive outcome for you/us all.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

This.

I hate to say it, but this is what is being projected to the rest of the world.

While almost every other country has bonded together to collectively fight this virus for their own common good, America just seems to be awash in mixed messages and in-fighting.

It certainly does not project the image of a strong, resilient country.

Again, please don't get me wrong, I'm only wanting to see a positive outcome for you/us all.

In another life, I had the good fortune of traveling the world and meeting folks on nearly every continent. Everywhere I went, people expressed admiration for my country and the idea it represented to the world. In speaking to some people from overseas lately, it’s the exact opposite; they are embarrassed for me. And I have to agree. We’ve lost our leadership role and our response to this pandemic has driven that home.

Like @Hapless Bills Fan has said several times, we literally wrote the book for the rest of the world when it comes to managing pandemics. Now, we don’t even know how to read it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1