Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

40 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Yeah it hasn't peaked yet in a lot of places, and beyond that this virus's stabilization rate is pretty terrifying. It doesn't seem to really go away. Just look at Iran. It's been 1000+ new cases, 100+ dead, every day since early March. Like clockwork. Maybe they've given up on providing accurate data but it's the same for Switzerland, Netherlands and some other countries that seem alright but are nowhere near over the hump with this. So imagine if we as a country stabilize at say 1500-2000 deaths. Every single day, without end. May never really blow up and be the apocalypse, but holy hell.

To add, this info is from countries that have fiercely locked down, more so than us in all cases, so rates are likely depressed just due to social isolation. This thing is a sticky little monster. I'm definitely not hitting the mall on May 1st even if some folks say we're open.

Switzerland is interesting because while they eventually banned gatherings > 5 people and closed some businesses like bars and shops, they have not (yet) imposed a lockdown.  Their hospital system has remained well within its capacity.  This although they  are right next door to northern Italy which was slammed slammed slammed.

They have been stable at a pretty constant level of deaths (about 50/day) and new cases for almost 2 weeks.  They are about to start opening back up, in a phased plan.  Their goal seems to be not to crush the epidemic a la New Zealand, but to make sure the caseload stays well within the capacity of the hospitals.

They have an official policy of not testing people with only mild symptoms.  I don't know what they have in place for contact tracing or isolation, but if you've ever traveled in Switzerland they have organization down to a science.  Drivers will honk at you if you DON'T assert your priority as a pedestrian and cross at a crosswalk.  So I would expect them to have a pretty orderly and methodical plan in place, and expect people to pretty much follow it.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Switzerland is interesting because while they eventually banned gatherings > 5 people and closed some businesses like bars and shops, they have not (yet) imposed a lockdown.  Their hospital system has remained well within its capacity.  This although they  are right next door to northern Italy which was slammed slammed slammed.

They have been stable at a pretty constant level of deaths (about 50/day) and new cases for almost 2 weeks.  They are about to start opening back up, in a phased plan.  Their goal seems to be not to crush the epidemic a la New Zealand, but to make sure the caseload stays well within the capacity of the hospitals.

They have an official policy of not testing people with only mild symptoms.  I don't know what they have in place for contact tracing or isolation, but if you've ever traveled in Switzerland they have organization down to a science.  Drivers will honk at you if you DON'T assert your priority as a pedestrian and cross at a crosswalk.  So I would expect them to have a pretty orderly and methodical plan in place, and expect people to pretty much follow it.

Dang Hap, appreciate the info!

Any insight on Mexico? I've been watching their numbers spike. Quick Google search doesn't provide much other than a story about their doctor's getting assaulted...with bleach.

About a week ago, wife and I morbidly discussed which country would be the next to hit 1,000 deaths. Indonesia, Ireland, and Mexico were the front runners at that time, in that order. We both chose Mexico which was the dark horse at the time, and won? I don't know, we've been inside for 5 weeks. But they hit it first and it definitely seems to be taking off there.

hahahaa

94133326_3121939954537516_80371889182332

LMAO

Image may contain: one or more people and closeup
Sparky Molter

A suspected Covid-19 male patient is lying in bed in the hospital, wearing an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. A young student female nurse appears and gives him a partial sponge bath.
"Nurse,"' he mumbles from behind the mask, "are my testicles black?"
Embarrassed, the young nurse replies, "I don't know, Sir. I'm only here to wash your upper body and feet."
He struggles to ask again, "Nurse, please check for me. Are my testicles black?"
Concerned that he might elevate his blood pressure and heart rate from worrying about his testicles, she overcomes her embarrassment and
pulls back the covers.
She raises his gown, holds his manhood in one hand and his testicles gently in the other.
She looks very closely and says, "There's nothing wrong with them, Sir. They look fine."
The man slowly pulls off his oxygen mask, smiles at her, and says very slowly,
"Thank you very much. That was wonderful. Now listen very,
very, closely:
"Are - my - test - results - back?"

• Haha (+1) 3

Today at Cuomo's press conference he said that businesses need to submit a plan for reopening. So does this mean the mom and pop shoe store is going to have to give the governor and actual list before they can reopen just like a large chain restaurant would? This seems really confusing.

I liked how Cuomo has handled this for the most part. Maybe it’s the fact I haven’t been able to do anything for a week outside because of the ***** weather getting to me. But his press conferences have had less answers every day. I’m not saying open everything tomorrow. But you’ve had two months to come up with some semblance of a plan (after having no plan to close) and we still have few answers outside of construction and manufacturing can open somewhat on the 15.

I think it’s becoming clear that Cuomo is trying to 1. Kick this as far down the curb as allowable (reopening) and 2. Make himself come off blameless if things go bad. I’m pretty sure tomorrow new cases could go from 1000 to 1 and he would still say it’s bad. I mean yesterday was the one nice day we've had in a week and people were out left and right hanging out in driveways, and it is going to get harder to tell people no when the weather actually turns nice.

37 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Today at Cuomo's press conference he said that businesses need to submit a plan for reopening. So does this mean the mom and pop shoe store is going to have to give the governor and actual list before they can reopen just like a large chain restaurant would? This seems really confusing.

I liked how Cuomo has handled this for the most part. Maybe it’s the fact I haven’t been able to do anything for a week outside because of the ***** weather getting to me. But his press conferences have had less answers every day. I’m not saying open everything tomorrow. But you’ve had two months to come up with some semblance of a plan (after having no plan to close) and we still have few answers outside of construction and manufacturing can open somewhat on the 15.

I think it’s becoming clear that Cuomo is trying to 1. Kick this as far down the curb as allowable (reopening) and 2. Make himself come off blameless if things go bad. I’m pretty sure tomorrow new cases could go from 1000 to 1 and he would still say it’s bad. I mean yesterday was the one nice day we've had in a week and people were out left and right hanging out in driveways, and it is going to get harder to tell people no when the weather actually turns nice.

Thankfully mom and pop shoe stores dont exist anymore.

20 hours ago, Justin C said:

I could be mistaken but how I interpreted it is he is asking for business input on what they feel would work for them to reopen, instead of trying to impose a set of top-down rules.

That has both a downside (asking mom and pop to come up with a plan) and an upside (not forcing businesses into one-size-fits-all that may not work for them).

Perhaps there will be clarification.

I'm sure you're right that Cuomo wants to be very very cautious on reopening.

1 hour ago, Process said:

Don't know where to post this because there are five covid threads on pg 1 but anyways.

Life is going to suck for the next few years. 

I disagree. I am loving the new way of life. It will be nice to go out to eat and not be overwhelmed with people. 

In Race for a Coronavirus Vaccine, an Oxford Group Leaps Ahead

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/world/europe/coronavirus-vaccine-update-oxford.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

As scientists at the Jenner Institute prepare for mass clinical trials, new tests show their vaccine to be effective in monkeys.

In the worldwide race for a vaccine to stop the coronavirus, the laboratory sprinting fastest is at Oxford University.

Most other teams have had to start with small clinical trials of a few hundred participants to demonstrate safety. But scientists at the university’s Jenner Institute had a head start on a vaccine, having proved in previous trials that similar inoculations — including one last year against an earlier coronavirus — were harmless to humans.

That has enabled them to leap ahead and schedule tests of their new coronavirus vaccine involving more than 6,000 people by the end of next month, hoping to show not only that it is safe, but also that it works.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-finds-coronavirus-could-more-184528558.html

Scientist in Italy have detected Covid 19 attached to small particles of air pollution suggesting area's of higher smog/ air pollution may expand the distance Covid 19 can spread through the air. 

It also may suggest at least IMO the development of something that can be dispersed through the air to weigh Covid 19 particulates down. Something breathable and safe for the environment. Is something we may want to take a real hard look at in my humble opinion.    

Any thoughts on this Hapless?

On a side note the partial shutdown and stay at home order has without a doubt decreased smog/ air pollution across the US.

Edited by Figster

35 minutes ago, Figster said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-finds-coronavirus-could-more-184528558.html

Scientist in Italy have detected Covid 19 attached to small particles of air pollution suggesting area's of higher smog/ air pollution may expand the distance Covid 19 can spread through the air. 

It also may suggest at least IMO the development of something that can be dispersed through the air to weigh Covid 19 particulates down. Something breathable and safe for the environment. Is something we may want to take a real hard look at in my humble opinion.    

Any thoughts on this Hapless?

On a side note the partial shutdown and stay at home order has without a doubt decreased smog/ air pollution across the US.

Across the world! The before and after satellite images are startling. 

• Like (+1) 2