Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....I'm probably wrong, but isn't the premise of a mask to protect others from you versus protecting you from others?.......

Unfortunately, it is the premise.

By way of example what If someone with Covid 19 sneezes or coughs and small droplets land on your lips. Or in your eyes?

The mask, almost any mask, protects you. It also helps keep your hands out of your nose and mouth which is a habit often hard to overcome for many.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Better?

So the most vulnerable in our society are wearing a mask that still leaves them vulnerable? when we have something safer? These same senior citizens are the one's going on ventilators in big numbers, many not surviving.

I respectfully disagree.

It is better because it is something they can wear without issue.  Saw a senior when we went shopping and she was frequently pulling mask to side I assume because she was not getting enough oxygen.  If entire air area is filled with virus yes but the major dangers are someone breathing on you who has it and touching stuff then having it progress to respiration system.  Equipment not worn properly reduces protection and gives false sense of security.

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....I'm probably wrong, but isn't the premise of a mask to protect others from you versus protecting you from others?.......

Some masks yet. Some like n95 are to make you safer to work in more dangerous environments like hospital workers in COVID-19 ward.

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It is better because it is something they can wear without issue.  Saw a senior when we went shopping and she was frequently pulling mask to side I assume because she was not getting enough oxygen.  If entire air area is filled with virus yes but the major dangers are someone breathing on you who has it and touching stuff then having it progress to respiration system.  Equipment not worn properly reduces protection and gives false sense of security.

Some masks yet. Some like n95 are to make you safer to work in more dangerous environments like hospital workers in COVID-19 ward.

They are virtually impossible to get. As an ESSENTIAL BUSINESS in NYS, we have 200+ construction workers in the field.....our annual Safety Equipment Budget (pre Covid-19) is $125,000 and I have added $75,000 to that budget......yet our major supplier cannot get us N95 masks.......we order them along with paper masks only to have the N95's deleted.....signs in Home Depot say N95's are going to first responders and med staffs first as a priority, so I think that is what happens to our orders....

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Good argument Limeaid, 

Myself personally, our country, Worldwide for that matter.  People, young or old, we can all learn, get better at handling a crisis in my humble opinion.

So perhaps the next time around, and that day will come.

Mankind can meet the challenges with a better outcome. 

Edited by Figster

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Good argument Limeaid, 

Myself personally, our country, its people, young or old can learn, get better in my humble opinion.

...as expected, your words are prophetic.......we have NEVER faced a challenge like this at least in my lifetime......this pandemic was the classic "baptism by fire" reactive mode call to arms.....advance warning was virtually non-existent and downplayed......we are calling a nation of 330+ million people to arms, hardly a short order IMO....in our construction business, we routinely have "post project reviews" to learn what we did right on a successful project as well as why a project went "bad"......we use the "goods" and "bads" to learn going forward....ideally (COUGH), a "Post Pandemic Review" could elicit numerous goods and bads going forward, yet hoping something similar NEVER happens again...problem is politicization will take precedent.....very sad.....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Senior citzens in general are not good candidates for n95 masks.  They need to be work correctly and when you wear it correctly it lightly damages face which seniors have lower heal rates.  Have it with workers taking care of them and they will be safe.

Agreed.  My mother takes literally months to heal from every scrape and bruise.  Plus she can't remember stuff.  How to put on and take off an N95 mask, she would not remember.  She also has congestive heart failure and is borderline on her oxygen consumption at the best of times.

I was hoping I could mail one and be tested.

That's not a bad notion, especially with your wife's chops as a professional seamstress it's possible you have a better design - especially if you have the means to shoot them a bit of a donation for their mask-making work.

I guess my point was that if they are seeing those kind of test numbers from a pocket mask and your wife made you a custom fitted pocket mask, it seems probable its performance is comparable.  You could test it yourself with a saccharine solution if you like (and aren't allergic to saccharine).

53 minutes ago, Figster said:

Good argument Limeaid, 

Myself personally, our country, Worldwide for that matter.  People, young or old, we can all learn, get better at handling a crisis in my humble opinion.

It's a very valid point that the countries I am looking at with some degree of envy for how they handled this - are the countries that were affected by SARS and learned from that experience.

So we will need to learn and do better.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

How do I test with a saccharine solution?

Formally, it requires a special hood, a nebulizer, and a calibrated test solution.

Informally, it requires a 1% sodium saccharine solution in a spray bottle and an enclosed area - small bathroom, hat draped in plastic, something like that.  You stick out your tongue and spray the solution 5x, 10x, 15x, 20x into the area but not directly on your face and tongue until you can taste it. (if you can't taste it, the test doesn't work.  there's a second solution that's used in that case, bitrex)

Then you clean your face, let the stuff settle out of the enclosed area, take a drink, make sure you can't taste anything after licking your lips and swallowing.  Put the mask on and repeat (if you normally wear glasses, wear them). Do something - read a paragraph of a book, turn your head side to side like you normally would to look at something, make sure you don't taste anything as you do.

Here's a thing I found that shows the test gizmo, albeit with a half-face respirator and a description of the process

https://pksafety.com/blog/how-to-administer-a-respirator-fit-test

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Similar publication, broke it down here.  I personally think this would be very useful public health survey for many areas with limited health resources but municiple waste water treatment as they open back up: monitor the waste water, if you see a surge in covid-19 RNA, you KNOW you have an outbreak and you need to find it/contain it or lock back down.

Now.... Thanks.

That @plenzmd1 he's a humble guy. I need to be more like him.

I also need help trying to find my stuff in the basement too... LoL... ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's a very valid point that the countries I am looking at with some degree of envy for how they handled this - are the countries that were affected by SARS and learned from that experience.

... and the countries whose populations and effective leaders believe in science and the common good. 

(At least that's how I saw it happening down here, in New Zealand.)

• Like (+1) 2

My extreme predictions:

Coronavirus returns with a vengeance in October or November.  Baseball had returned but there’s no World Series.  NHL hockey returned and had an abbreviated season and playoffs but doesn’t start a 2020/2021 season.  NBA returns briefly but new Coronavirus cases for players ends their season abruptly and they don’t start a 2020/21 season.  NFL season starts as scheduled but is ended about halfway thru the season.

College football starts on time and continues despite virus return until a large amount of cases arise among players and staff.  SEC wants to continue without fans in stands but they are shot down.

I was so bored I called Jake from State Farm just to talk to someone. He asked me what I was wearing.

2019: Stay away from negative people. 2020: Stay away from positive people.

The world has turned upside down. Old folks are sneaking out of the house, and their kids are yelling at them to stay indoors!

You think it's bad now? In 20 years our country will be run by people home-schooled by day drinkers...

This virus has done what no woman had been able to do...cancel all sports, shut down all bars, and keep men at home!!!

Do not call the police on suspicious people in your neighborhood! Those are your neighbors without makeup and hair extensions!

Since we can't eat out, now's the perfect time to eat better, get fit, and stay healthy. We're quarantined! Who are we trying to impress? We have snacks, we have sweatpants – I say we use them!

Day 7 at home and the dog is looking at me like, "See? This is why I chew the furniture!"

Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep washing our hands???

I never thought the comment "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6 foot pole" would become a national policy, but here we are!

Me: Alexa what's the weather this weekend? Alexa: It doesn't matter – you're not going anywhere.

Can everyone please just follow the government instructions so we can knock out this corona virus and be done?! I feel like a kindergartner who keeps losing more recess time because one or two kids can't follow directions.

I swear my fridge just said "what the hell do you want now?"

When this is over...what meeting do I attend first...Weight Watchers or AA?

Quarantine has turned us into dogs. We roam the house all day looking for food. We are told "no" if we get too close to strangers. And we get really excited about car rides.

Tomorrow is the National Home-school Tornado Drill. Lock your kids in the basement until you give the all clear. You're welcome!

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Press release from RB (the makers of Lysol) today:

https://www.rb.com/media/news/2020/april/improper-use-of-disinfectants/

Improper use of Disinfectants

Due to recent speculation and social media activity, RB (the makers of Lysol and Dettol) has been asked whether internal administration of disinfectants may be appropriate for investigation or use as a treatment for coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2).

As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route).  As with all products, our disinfectant and hygiene products should only be used as intended and in line with usage guidelines. Please read the label and safety information.

We have a responsibility in providing consumers with access to accurate, up-to-date information as advised by leading public health experts. For this and other myth-busting facts, please visit Covid-19facts.com.

For more information on our response to COVID-19, visit this link:  .......

?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Press release from RB (the makers of Lysol) today:

https://www.rb.com/media/news/2020/april/improper-use-of-disinfectants/

?‍♂️

As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route).  As with all products, our disinfectant and hygiene products should only be used as intended and in line with usage guidelines. Please read the label and safety information.

Or any other route? Ouch!