Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I’m not surprised at all. Wall Street is not and never has been Main Street. Wall Street isn’t the economy, after all. The demand side impacts of the high unemployment numbers will be reflected eventually, but right now, the getting is good on Wall Street; lots of great deals to be had. I know you know all that, I’m just offering an opinion. The market has always recovered, regardless. 

couple of my observations of whats happening now from a market perspective. While no expert, i have been invested in equities since 86. Most of what i will post below is my interpretation of  Cramer and other CNBC talking heads.

1) While the claims number was higher than expected, the Fed announcement of pumping 2.2 Trillion in signaled they will do whatever it takes to see the economy though. Massive confidence boost for the markets

2) Fed buying state and municipalities debt, backstopping high yield corporate debt..unprecedented actions to make sure liquidity is not an issue for either business or governments moving forward

3) Cramer interview with Mnuchin seemed to indicate both thought most of the country and people be back to work in May.

4) Powell talks later and essentially says this is what we did today, have mire ammo if we need to fire it later. Most surprising to me was he took a question on hpow printing all this money would affect inflation..he stated that was our worry in the 08 crisis, we did not see it, and as a matter of fact inflation has been below what we would like to see for several years now. I dont understand what called MMT(Modern Monetary Theory) but apparently that is the reason why. 

5) Everybody understands Q2  numbers mean absolutely nada, gunna suck across the board...liquidity and balance sheet will matter..and look to q3 to give ideas on what 21will look like..that is what will drive share prices up or down.

6) Lots of other technical discussion about will we test the lows again(18.5K on the Dow)..most seem to think not but most still believe this is a bear market rally and will be plenty of buying opportunity in the next 1-2 months. 

7) said some of the "quarantine " stocks..Netflix, Clorox..maybe overpriced here, so not everything a bargain.

? None of us, including those guys, have any freaking clue cause we have never  seen an economy shut close before, nor had a Fed that is taking the actions they are. 

Good luck to all !

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hardhatharry said:

Little scary everyone I work with is coughing.... No one wants to admit they are sick though b.c they don't want to end up unemployed.

Are they wearing masks?  Might be time to buy a couple packs of bandanas, some large elastic hair ties, and a box of shop towels and roll one for each co-worker if not.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, anything "MAY" be a problem and cuts generally pose a higher risk of infection...but we do have great local immune responses near our skin.    There are a few viruses that can cause infection in skin abrasions (smallpox is one) but those typically cause skin eruptions (eg smallpox; more relevant today hand, foot and mouth disease aka coxackie virus; herpes viruses including herpes simplex and zoster; adenovirus)

But all "Mays" are not equal.  ACE2 (the "doorknob" protein used to enter the cell) is expressed widely in the body on epithelia (that's skin cells), especially abundant in the lungs and intestines.  The symptoms we're seeing with SARS-COV2 (covid-19 disease) are respiratory and some GI (diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite).  With SARS-COV, binding was seen to another receptor, CD209L, leading to the hypothesis that they both participate in cellular entry.

When the dust settles, two receptors may be found to be needed for SARS-COV2 infection as well. 

Covering small cuts or abrasions is certainly a fine idea - they'll heal faster and you really don't want to visit Urgent Care or an ER to get treatment for cellulitis or felon right now - but it seems pretty clear the primary route of infections involve the lungs, secondary GI tract.  The GI symptoms are the symptoms that have me go "hmmmm" when experts assure me that take-out food including salads and sandwiches are perfectly safe.  I have yet to encounter any symptoms that make me think skin entry is a risk.

If you actually have any data of any kind to support this, kindly provide.

Depends on what kind of mask you're wearing.  If you're wearing an ordinary paper medical mask, or a cloth mask, these don't seal - wear your beard.

If you're trying to rock an N95 respirator or something else that makes a seal to the face, shave.

This article touched on the subject.

https://www.crew.scot/coronavirus-general-hygiene-tips/

Its one of them better safe then sorry points of interest.

Not enough is known right now about Covid 19.

Most viruses don't give you pink eye, but we are now finding out differently with Covid 19

12 minutes ago, Figster said:

This article touched on the subject.

https://www.crew.scot/coronavirus-general-hygiene-tips/

Its one of them better safe then sorry points of interest.

Not enough is known right now about Covid 19.

Most viruses don't give you pink eye, but we are now finding out differently with Covid 19

No offense, but I think I'd choose a different source of information. 

At least, the information I found there on "small cuts and tears can increase the risk of infection" was in the context of having sex.  If you're having sex with someone potentially carrying the virus, acquiring covid-19 infection from small cuts and tears in your genital area is probably the least of your concerns.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No offense, but I think I'd choose a different source of information. 

At least, the information I found there on "small cuts and tears can increase the risk of infection" was in the context of having sex.  If you're having sex with someone potentially carrying the virus, acquiring covid-19 infection from small cuts and tears in your genital area is probably the least of your concerns.

I just did a quick search trying to find something for you. Its also mentioned earlier in the article.

Agreed, not the greatest source

Edited by Figster

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

I just did a quick search trying to find something for you. Its also mentioned earlier in the article.

Agreed, not the greatest source

I'm not saying it couldn't happen - as the article I linked shows, there are ACE2 receptors in the basal layer of the epidermis.  But they're far more abundant in the lungs and airway, and in the small intestine, and those are also the areas where tested positive cases in a pretty large patient data base have reported symptoms, so I'd say it's likely warranted to focus more attention on protecting those areas. 

And yes, protecting the face should properly include include eye protection!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm surprised by the may talk in the U.S.  Here in Canada they figure this will last well into summer and then they will slowly open up things. Bars, restaurants and shops will open first with limited capacity. Any thing that involves large crowds will way down the line. Trudeau said today expect this to be the new normal til a vaccine is available. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

Little scary everyone I work with is coughing.... No one wants to admit they are sick though b.c they don't want to end up unemployed.

I don’t know if you saw that video Hapless posted in the other thread on airborne viruses indoors. But they say if you have windows that open you should open up 2 windows at least once every hour. They said it makes a big difference in clearing any airborne virus that may be in the air.

I’d also echo hapless’s suggestion to have everyone start wearing masks if possible. There’s an easy video where they use a towel or bandana + 2 layers of that blue “hydro knit” shop towel (has to be that hydro knit material. Autozone or advanced auto should have rolls of it - one brand is Scott’s Pro shop towels (has to be pro, not original), or Zep’s or toolbox’s shop towels (I think harbor freight carries this brand)).

A roll of 90 or so is $10-15 iirc.

They should really be staying home if they’re sick, but I know that’s not your call. I’d wear a mask if possible and encourage your co-workers to do so as well (or at the bare minimum make sure they cough into their elbows every time so it’s at least somewhat contained). 

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

I’m not surprised at all. Wall Street is not and never has been Main Street. Wall Street isn’t the economy, after all. The demand side impacts of the high unemployment numbers will be reflected eventually, but right now, the getting is good on Wall Street; lots of great deals to be had. I know you know all that, I’m just offering an opinion. The market has always recovered, regardless. 

IMO, this is a bear trap, plain and simple.     Short covering and momo traders only.   

Be careful of getting caught up in the FOMO mindset...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not saying it couldn't happen - as the article I linked shows, there are ACE2 receptors in the basal layer of the epidermis.  But they're far more abundant in the lungs and airway, and in the small intestine, and those are also the areas where tested positive cases in a pretty large patient data base have reported symptoms, so I'd say it's likely warranted to focus more attention on protecting those areas. 

And yes, protecting the face should properly include include eye protection!

This article also supports your response.

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/41990594/can-covid19-be-spread-through-a-cut-wound-or-a-sneezedon-salad

Thanks

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I'm surprised by the may talk in the U.S.  Here in Canada they figure this will last well into summer and then they will slowly open up things. Bars, restaurants and shops will open first with limited capacity. Any thing that involves large crowds will way down the line. Trudeau said today expect this to be the new normal til a vaccine is available. 

Canada is probably correct, unless the predictions of the virus tailing off with warm weather come to pass.  Canada, with its national health plan, would also be well equipped to execute a vigorous test/trace/quarantine containment strategy favorable for an earlier resumption of work.

The talk in US is "open up at beginning of May".  Church services are still allowed in a number of states and may be heavily attended this Easter Sunday.

The virus may not have peaked in some places by then; it will be just post-peak in many more per the favorable overall model that predicts ~60-80,000 deaths, and any "blooms" caused by folks attending Easter church services will be just getting going.  [That model explicitly assumes stay-at-home measures will remain in force through the end of May]

Here's the article describing one of the models (map pasted in above):
http://www.healthdata.org/sites/default/files/files/research_articles/2020/COVID-forecasting-03252020_4.pdf

States with peaks forcast to occur >29 April include Virginia, S. Carolina, Kentucky, Florida, Wisconsin, and Colorado

Much of the country is forecast to peak 21-28 April, including California and Oregon, most of the midwest, and most of the SE.

The peak is assymmetrical, so a forecast mid-April peak will take approximately 30 days to decline to the 10% level (per model)

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Are they wearing masks?  Might be time to buy a couple packs of bandanas, some large elastic hair ties, and a box of shop towels and roll one for each co-worker if not.

My boss did not prepared for this at all... He said he ordered bandanas for everyone... On Monday. Some people have their own masks. All I do now is go to work and go home.

6 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

My boss did not prepared for this at all... He said he ordered bandanas for everyone... On Monday. Some people have their own masks. All I do now is go to work and go home.

You might consider a trip to Autozone or a hardware store for a pack of shop towels and rummage your bureau for a bandana and some type of elastics, if you don't have a mask yourself.

• Thank you (+1) 1

@Hardhatharry  check out these videos for ideas. There are tons of videos on YouTube on how to make your own mask. It depends on what type you want to make. 

Heres a link to the simplest one ive found. It’s got step by step pictures. You can just lay a piece of that blue shop towel or other filter material inside the handkerchief.

http://blog.japanesecreations.com/no-sew-face-mask-with-handkerchief-and-hair-tie

And here’s a few videos for more ideas:

Here’s one (the video below) made from shop towels, paper clips and a stapler.

Just FYI, the video shows the wrong type of shop towels. Those are Scott’s originals. They are made from paper. Ideally you want the Pro version that is made from polyester/ hydro knit, not paper. 

Or you could go with one like this that has a filter pocket (where you could change out the shop towel filter each day). It only takes sewing in a couple quick spots if you’re up for it:

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/campbell-fighting-covid-19-is-a-surreal-lonely-experience

‘Campbell: Fighting COVID-19 is a surreal, lonely experience’

Former Bills tight end Mark Campbell joined Howard and Jeremy on Thursday to talk about his experience fighting the coronavirus

Campbell on his mentality on trying to initially fight the coronavirus:

"As ex-athletes, we're probably a little more prone to thinking, 'Just push through. Push through. Be tough.' We've been taught that our whole lives. Well that worked against me, for sure. Day 12 I went to the hospital, I got admitted almost immediately. Next thing you know, I've got tubes all over the place, oxygen, all these things going on, and I was there for five days."

You don't (want to) have to deal with this because it's just awful. It sucked. I don't know how else to describe it. I'm young, I'm healthy, I still work out, I'm in good shape. This thing doesn't care if you're young or you're old, if you're healthy or if you're not, it can affect you."

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Sad 1

I have a buddy who was a missionary to El Salvador and for some reason today, I sort of wondered how that very poor country would be handling COVID19.

interestingly enough, they’re doing “great.” The street gangs enforce the quarantine— pretty interesting. 

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-04-07/el-salvador-coronavirus-homicides-bukele

FoxNews quotes the Surgeon General talking about tracing contacts. As far as I know, this is the first mention of this from anyone in the Executive branch. 

"And, number two: we want to see cases start to come down for ideally two weeks. And, once that happens, we want to make sure we have a public health infrastructure in place so that we can follow up on positive tests and isolate case contacts," added Adams.

"Once we feel comfortable we can do that, we can start reopening in places that have flattened their curve and have a low-lying level of cases, because we have confidence that one case won't turn into 10, 100, a thousand," he concluded.

Really good to see this--it means they are discussing the importance of this behind closed doors. But if he's floating it publicly, there's more to come.

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1

I have been reading how it’s not the virus that killls people, but their immune system going nuts and causing the inflammation in the lungs etc. the so called “ cytokene” storm. 

Linked clip from a good friend who is good friends with this DR. Who was positive and his story on how anti inflammatory was like a miracle cure. Obviously anecdotal, but wonder if this might be how treatment evolves. 

l

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have been reading how it’s not the virus that kills people, but their immune system going nuts and causing the inflammation in the lungs etc. the so called “ cytokene” storm. 

Linked clip from a good friend who is good friends with this DR. Who was positive and his story on how anti inflammatory was like a miracle cure. Obviously anecdotal, but wonder if this might be how treatment evolves. 

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/223756-covid-19-facts-and-information-only-thread/?do=findComment&comment=6463111

You have probably seen the other thread on this board being 'moderated' by Hapless.  The above link is a posting in that thread that talks about cannabis compounds and this cytokine storm.  I linked to the PPP medical cannabis page with some of my personal experiences with a February respiratory flu - obviously anecdotal as well.

There have been conflicting studies about the wisdom of using cannabis compounds around viruses and I am not a medical or research scientist, but a cannabis based treatment seems like it may have some future.  See the links at the other post if you have not already.  Briefly, some cannabinoids are bronchodilators to help breathing, some seem to suppress this cytokine storm issue as described by the doctor in the video, and relatively, it has few side effects.  In addition, if found to be effective, concentrates are already available worldwide today and production of cannabis concentrates has already been scaled up for today's medical and adult use markets.

Doing searches on "cannabinoids, 'cytokine storm'" uncovers some studies done with other viruses on the nih.gov site too.  Other google searches uncover the typical wide range of sources and validity so look out for that.

• Thank you (+1) 1