Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

An estimated additional 180 - 195 deaths per day occurring at home in New York City due to COVID-19 are not being counted in the official figures. "Early on in this crisis we were able to swab people who died at home, and thus got a coronavirus reading. But those days are long gone. We simply don't have the testing capacity for the large numbers dying at home. Now only those few who had a test confirmation *before* dying are marked as victims of coronavirus on their death certificate. This almost certainly means we are undercounting the total number of victims of this pandemic," said Mark Levine, Chair of New York City Council health committee

5 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

An estimated additional 180 - 195 deaths per day occurring at home in New York City due to COVID-19 are not being counted in the official figures. "Early on in this crisis we were able to swab people who died at home, and thus got a coronavirus reading. But those days are long gone. We simply don't have the testing capacity for the large numbers dying at home. Now only those few who had a test confirmation *before* dying are marked as victims of coronavirus on their death certificate. This almost certainly means we are undercounting the total number of victims of this pandemic," said Mark Levine, Chair of New York City Council health committee

A lot of old people dying. I'm dreading getting the call from a family member.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Funny, i approach the market now just like a Bills game...it  has a good day and I put on the post game show  and listen to why and just nice to see people be happy..bad days i peek at the score and too much red i just dont listen at all.

This is how I treat the Bills and now the market.

The weird thing to me is that I've heard that the ratings are higher when the Bills lose.  Who would want to listen to postgame more when they lose than when they win?!?

• Like (+1) 1

This is from the NHL Winnipeg Jet’s head coach Paul Maurice. Felt like it was worth sharing in this thread.

https://theathletic.com/1726826/2020/04/06/a-deep-dive-into-paul-maurices-first-press-conference-since-the-nhl-shut-down/

(Athletic Sub. req.)

What has he learned about himself as a father since he’s had the opportunity to be a full-time dad once again?

“I can get grinding on things pretty good that are bothering me,” he began. “But the positive thing here for me and my family is I’ve got three university kids at home together and it’s a window I’m never getting again. I’ll never get to have dinner every night with them as a group or sit around and watch bad movies with them that they think are funny and they just clearly are not. There’s a lot of interactions that I’m going to get with my family that there’s no set of circumstances that will ever present themselves again that will allow this to happen. I am absolutely making the most of that.”

Well said. 

He stressed that the world is connected in its response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The situation transcends well beyond hockey, well beyond sports. He touched on concern for his own aging parents and for his brother, Michael, a doctor, but stressed that the situation is bigger than his own experience.

“Everybody is touched on this, whether it’s first responders – we all know police officers, fire department and EMT people – people in hospitals, people in grocery stores, people that are keeping us fed. Everybody knows somebody that’s dealing with this differently. So this is not one of these kind of cocoon situations where your own little world is touched by it. This is touching everybody that’s got a different story, a different way that they’re dealing with it.”

Finally, Maurice was asked what his message to the world would be at a time like this.

“This is a really unusual time, isn’t it,” Maurice said. “You get into your fifties and you think you’ve got a lot of experience on how to handle things — and then something like this comes up and you have no experience on how to handle it. But there’s lots of really, really good examples out there of people that are banding together. That’s what I like to focus on. If I’m going to read the news, I want to read the story about the firemen that are doing extra, the police officers, the nurses that are going in, the doctors that are caring for people.”

“What we’re trying to do — and I’m knocking on wood here — we’re healthy and we’re very, very fortunate and we don’t have some of the concerns that a lot of people are dealing with. But we’re trying to find something good. In my house, I’m trying to enjoy every minute of being around a bunch of 20-year-old kids. I’m never getting this chance again. Try to find one thing that’s good and hang onto that thing as hard as you possibly can. Maybe once you find that one thing, you’ll find another. It’s been working so far here. My kids haven’t thrown me out of the house yet. Check in in about a week and we’ll see where we’re at.”

Paul Maurice is one of my favorite head coaches to listen to. You can see why him and Ralph Krueger are such good buddies.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Rest assured kiddies... The Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy have been classified as "Essential Workers". At least down here in New Zealand.

(So glad we can still have a little fun over some things.)

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-52189013/jacinda-ardern-tooth-fairy-and-easter-bunny-are-essential-workers

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Gov Wolf deserves a lot of credit for shutting down early (I think only WA shut down sooner). Plus Philadelphia is not as densely populated as many other places. It's #95 on the most densely populated cities--with more row home housing than high rises. (NYC Metro is all 8 of the top 8.)

The deaths tally for all of PA has been over 20 a single day, and it's been at 10-15 most days. I think you can look at California and PA and do a long look to figure out why they got this so right thus far. I don't have all the answers but it's real, especially in PA given that it's an urban center and so close to NYC. No need to crow yet but something is working there so far. 

The other stat to look at in PA is new hospitalizations. Here is that number in the last bunch of days:

image.png.4b4ba12e9b7c11eb3a97d3942baa9bb8.png

That is really amazing. Source

wolf has just been following what DeWine does in Ohio, except doing it 3-4 days later.  I think DeWine is the guy who deserves a lot of credit for being in the lead with state responses. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, bbb said:

This is how I treat the Bills and now the market.

The weird thing to me is that I've heard that the ratings are higher when the Bills lose.  Who would want to listen to postgame more when they lose than when they win?!?

Many [loud] posters on main board.  Sometimes they are quiet as mice (mice nibbling on your electronics wires) when they have a big win.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/23/2020 at 6:11 PM, BillsFan4 said:

@Hapless Bills Fan re:our conversation before.

from the Associated Press. reliable source IMO.

Edited to insert link to actual story:
https://apnews.com/5dd6b30e03542b435e2716e3e3a483e4

[Edit: From discussion with AP sportswriter John Wawrow, AP's standard is that something must be verified by two primary sources before publication (primary meaning "I heard it said", not "I heard a guy who knows a guy who heard it"]

#Fact.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Seems that there’s light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully by mid May we can get back to some semblance of normal. And maybe after all is said and done the “modelers” at IHME will get pink slips.

To date, I still haven’t seen/heard of a single case in all of the USA where someone needed a ventilator, but wasn’t able to get one. Yet every day on my TV, I continue to be told that the sky is falling.

Edited by John in Jax

The problem is, everyone cant go back to normal because then we are either right back here again.... or we just try to ignore it and the worst case scenario is realized.  Without a vaccine, or some sort of hammer treatment for the symptoms, we are pretty screwed.

They need to be finalizing a plan for testing, tracking, and containment

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The problem is, everyone cant go back to normal because then we are either right back here again.... or we just try to ignore it and the worst case scenario is realized.  Without a vaccine, or some sort of hammer treatment for the symptoms, we are pretty screwed.

They need to be finalizing a plan for testing, tracking, and containment

Yes, agreed. That’s why I said “some semblance “ of normal, vs the complete shutdown we have now, which is ruining many, many lives. And the longer the shutdown goes on, the more lives will be ruined (economically, emotionally, & physically).

32 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Seems that there’s light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully by mid May we can get back to some semblance of normal. And maybe after all is said and done the “modelers” at IMHE will get pink slips.

Not easy to model something that has never happened, with data from one dubious source. 

I hope the modelers can get the part where we lessen distancing right and also predict second wave right and make good recommendations. 

55 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Yes, agreed. That’s why I said “some semblance “ of normal, vs the complete shutdown we have now, which is ruining many, many lives. And the longer the shutdown goes on, the more lives will be ruined (economically, emotionally, & physically).

thats the $22 trillion dollar balancing act.  

It is such a dubious double-edged sword.  I am hoping that behind the odd bluster of Trump, behind the scenes smart people are coming up with a master plan to contain this thing and introduce people back into the workforce.  By Trump's  previous stated timeline, it sounded as if we are looking at April deaths and peaking, May getting a handle on the thing with tracking and containment, and June 1st we would begin to release people back into the wild, and I would think it would be based on kinds of work, proximity to others, and regional.  I'm not a Trump guy, but definitely rooting for the administration.  Shoving it on 50 individual governors will not work.  Need a centrally-based plan from the Federal government.  

We will see.  Italy, Spain, and to an extent, France are a bit of a canary in the coal mine for us.  Let's see how they try to open up their countries and what works and what doesnt.  I do wonder how the heck a city like NYC could possibly open back up.  So populated, people living on top of one another.  A city built on public transit.  

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

thats the $22 trillion dollar balancing act.  

It is such a dubious double-edged sword.  I am hoping that behind the odd bluster of Trump, behind the scenes smart people are coming up with a master plan to contain this thing and introduce people back into the workforce.  By Trump's  previous stated timeline, it sounded as if we are looking at April deaths and peaking, May getting a handle on the thing with tracking and containment, and June 1st we would begin to release people back into the wild, and I would think it would be based on kinds of work, proximity to others, and regional.  I'm not a Trump guy, but definitely rooting for the administration.  Shoving it on 50 individual governors will not work.  Need a centrally-based plan from the Federal government.  

We will see.  Italy, Spain, and to an extent, France are a bit of a canary in the coal mine for us.  Let's see how they try to open up their countries and what works and what doesnt.  I do wonder how the heck a city like NYC could possibly open back up.  So populated, people living on top of one another.  A city built on public transit.  

Unless you count the daily exhibit of that laminated  “presidential guidelines” poster, there has been no semblance of a centrally based plan since day one so it’s hard to imagine that coming now. It’s been on the individual states from the beginning. That said, I’ve been impressed with the work of several governors; governors of both political stripes who’ve been able to put aside petty partisan politics and focus on the work at hand. Governors like DeWine, Newsom, Inslee, Hogan, Wolf, Pritzker, Cuomo, and others made tough calls to shut down their states and enact strict social distancing measures to try and get ahead of this thing. I applaud that courage. 

• Like (+1) 1

Regarding the lack of a “centrally based plan”, maybe check out the Tenth Amendment to the US Constitution. I’m quite certain that is what the Federal government is trying to abide by (in allowing the states to exercise their own specified rights).

ETA: Just seeing that MLB is going to strive to start their season in May. Maybe in front of no fans. More to come, obviously. Good for them!

ETA #2: Not sure why people are giving me the “Ha ha” emoji here, because what I posted above is exactly the reason why there’s no central plan, as President Trump has been directly queried about this.....more than once over the past month I might add.....and he has directly cited the Constitution as his reason to not mandate states take a certain action.

Edited by John in Jax
  • Haha (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Regarding the lack of a “centrally based plan”, maybe check out the Tenth Amendment to the US Constitution. I’m quite certain that is what the Federal government is trying to abide by (in allowing the states to exercise their own specified rights).

The Commerce Clause thinks the Tenth Amendment is cute. 

• Haha (+1) 1