Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The problem is that it isn't clear it's not going to hurt people.  Chloroquine has a known number of side effects, some serious.  You don't want to give it to people on ventilators, unless you know it helps. 

It also is not in infinite supply right now.

I know it won't happen but Trump should say "I'm not a doctor" and stop there.

It is painfully irresponsible.

When Gov. Cuomo speaks .. he has experts around him and asks them if what he's saying is accurate.  He's not above being corrected, or having experts elaborate or clarify, because he understands the importance of clear and accurate communication.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It is painfully irresponsible.

When Gov. Cuomo speaks .. he has experts around him and asks them if what he's saying is accurate.  He's not above being corrected, or having experts elaborate or clarify, because he understands the importance of clear and accurate communication.

This is what every other country is doing too (at least in every press conference I’ve watched).

We are the only country with a leader constantly contradicting the experts and also giving completely unqualified and unproven advise. It’s crazy. I’ve never seen anything like it before in my life.

• Like (+1) 2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2020/04/05/researchers-warn-that-covid-19-treatment-touted-by-trump-may-be-toxic-when-combined-with-diabetes-drug/#671ae1b655f8

hydroxychloroquine isn’t like Tylenol or something, where anyone can take it at home. It Has To be taken under a doctors supervision, and if combined with certain other drugs it can cause death or other life threatening side effects. Even all on its own it can cause life threatening side effects.

It has a very narrow therapeutic window - the difference between an effective dose and a toxic dose is much smaller than other drugs. And it can have many very strange side effects.

and it is an immuno-suppressive drug. It shuts down your immune system. That’s why they use it for diseases that attack your immune system like Rheumatoid arthritis (and also why they say people on immune-suppressive drugs are at higher risk of getting COVID19). So for people to take it that are not sick, it could actually cause a lot more harm than good by suppressing their immune system and making them more vulnerable to getting sick. 

Just look at the list of medications it interacts with- (there’s about 100. A huge number). Look at all the medical problems you have to be cautious of when taking this drug.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/hydroxychloroquine-oral-route/precautions/drg-20064216?p=1

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.sciencealert.com/small-trial-found-antimalarial-is-not-effective-for-treating-coronavirus

However, a study just published in a French medical journal provides new evidence that hydroxychloroquine does not appear to help the immune system clear the coronavirus from the body.

The study comes on the heels of two others - one in France and one in China - that reported some benefits in the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin for COVID-19 patients who didn't have severe symptoms of the virus.

I am a medicinal chemist who has specialized in discovery and development of antiviral drugs for the past 30 years, and I have been actively working on coronaviruses for the past seven.

I am among a number of researchers who are concerned that this drug has been given too much of a high priority before there is enough evidence to show it is indeed effective.

I pray that this drug does end up being effective for COVID19, but it’s just too soon to tell (and definitely way too soon to be telling anyone/everyone that it won’t hurt to take it...).

another issue is that patients who are on this drug and truly Need it now can’t find it -

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/01/825056946/why-lupus-patients-find-hydroxychloroquine-in-short-supply

Edited by BillsFan4

I had massive racing heart when I took it. Like I was playing the 40th Minute in a full court game of basketball. And also sweating and headache like a vice. It was the only drug I was on and when I stopped it went away right away. That’s just me but for sure, it’s not like popping a Tylenol. 

My wife and daughter took it with no side effects except some stomach upset. 

This was a few years ago when I traveled to India a lot. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/irelands-prime-minister-will-practice-medicine-again-during-pandemic/ar-BB12cbeX?li=BBnbcA1

Ireland's Prime Minister Will Practice Medicine Again During Pandemic

‘Ireland's Prime Minister (or Taoiseach) Leo Varadkar has rejoined his nation's medical register and will work directly to assist in the medical effort to combat the coronavirus pandemic.’

???? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would think autopsies would stop for the duration?  I'm surprised this doesn't happen.

They can't.  There are a lot of laws about when autopsies need to be done plus the implications in legal cases and wills.  Those in hospitals do not need to be investigated in many cases.

3 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Locally, funeral homes are now forbidden from embalming bodies, I assume, because of fear of transmission. You're either getting frozen for later or cremated if you die right now. 

Never read that and surprised too for as what some have called "just another Asian flu".

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Never read that and surprised too for as what some have called "just another Asian flu".

Why the cynicism? 

Good news today from NYS. Still more possible flattening numbers:

Deaths in New York State: 4,758, up by 599 from 4,159 on Sunday morning. This is a slight increase from Saturday, when 594 people were reported dead, and a drop from Friday, when the state’s daily death toll peaked at 630.

Confirmed cases: 130,689, up from 122,031. In New York City, 72,181, up from 67,551.

Hospitalized in New York State: 16,837, up by 2 percent from 16,479 on Sunday. This was the third straight day of single-digit percentage growth, after a long period when hospitalizations were growing by 20 or 30 percent per day.

In intensive care: 4,504, up by 2 percent from 4,376 on Sunday. The day-over-day increase was the smallest in at least two weeks.

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Just now, Sundancer said:

Why the cynicism? 

Not my cynicism. I think it is a very dangerous virus BUT I also think it is possible for a lot more people to go back to work with proper safety equipment.

PA's confirmed cases seems to be leveling off for the 1st time and the death rate is unusually low in comparison to other states and worldwide.

11,510 confirmed cases

150 deaths

A higher than normal death rate can be explained by the lack of adequate testing. Lower then normal death rate cannot be explained as easily.

Younger age groups on average? Better management?

A potential coronavirus vaccine funded by Bill Gates is set to begin testing in people, with the first patient expected to get it today

https://www.businessinsider.com/inovio-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-starts-in-philadelphia-kansas-city-2020-4

Still has a ways to go but the people that sign up to test these things have some serious balls of steel.

Edit: note that this is the SECOND clinical trial to start in the United states, as the linked article explains.

Here's the first:
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-vaccine-first-dose-administered-in-clinical-trial-2020-3

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Figster said:

PA's confirmed cases seems to be leveling off for the 1st time and the death rate is unusually low in comparison to other states and worldwide.

11,510 confirmed cases

150 deaths

A higher than normal death rate can be explained by the lack of adequate testing. Lower then normal death rate cannot be explained as easily.

Younger age groups on average? Better management?

Gov Wolf deserves a lot of credit for shutting down early (I think only WA shut down sooner). Plus Philadelphia is not as densely populated as many other places. It's #95 on the most densely populated cities--with more row home housing than high rises. (NYC Metro is all 8 of the top 8.)

The deaths tally for all of PA has been over 20 a single day, and it's been at 10-15 most days. I think you can look at California and PA and do a long look to figure out why they got this so right thus far. I don't have all the answers but it's real, especially in PA given that it's an urban center and so close to NYC. No need to crow yet but something is working there so far. 

The other stat to look at in PA is new hospitalizations. Here is that number in the last bunch of days:

image.png.4b4ba12e9b7c11eb3a97d3942baa9bb8.png

That is really amazing. Source

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Gov Wolf deserves a lot of credit for shutting down early (I think only WA shut down sooner). Plus Philadelphia is not as densely populated as many other places. It's #95 on the most densely populated cities--with more row home housing than high rises. (NYC Metro is all 8 of the top 8.)

The deaths tally for all of PA has been over 20 a single day, and it's been at 10-15 most days. I think you can look at California and PA and do a long look to figure out why they got this so right thus far. I don't have all the answers but it's real, especially in PA given that it's an urban center and so close to NYC. No need to crow yet but something is working there so far. 

Good point, and Wolf does deserve credit.

Row housing  allows familes the ability to control their own environment for the most part. High rise living, not so much. Senior citizens living in high rises become sitting ducks. 

It helps explain the difference in death rates IMO... 

Edited by Figster

15 minutes ago, Figster said:

Good point, and Wolf does deserve credit.

Row housing  allows familes the ability to control their own environment for the most part. High rise living, not so much. Senior citizens living in high rises become sitting ducks. 

It helps explain the difference in death rates IMO... 

Look at the most dense cities. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population_density

NYC Manhatten is 2.5 as dense as Philly with 3.5X the number of people and in NYC, EVERYONE takes mass transit. In Philly, it's not the same culture. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

A potential coronavirus vaccine funded by Bill Gates is set to begin testing in people, with the first patient expected to get it today

https://www.businessinsider.com/inovio-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-starts-in-philadelphia-kansas-city-2020-4

Still has a ways to go but the people that sign up to test these things have some serious balls of steel.

Edit: note that this is the SECOND clinical trial to start in the United states, as the linked article explains.

Here's the first:
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-vaccine-first-dose-administered-in-clinical-trial-2020-3

Bill Gates is the man. Doing the good work, instead of trying to sell some experimental drug he has stock in.

• Like (+1) 1

Funny, i approach the market now just like a Bills game...it  has a good day and I put on the post game show  and listen to why and just nice to see people be happy..bad days i peek at the score and too much red i just dont listen at all.

• Like (+1) 1