Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

Just now, Halloween Land said:

It's hard not to worry or panic about this virus. But we must keep our faith strong and trust the Lord. Praying is important! 

FB_IMG_1584368589291.jpg

i really think this is the last idea anyone should be putting into people's head's at this point.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Halloween Land said:

It's not. It's the best idea. Don't underestimate the power of prayer. Only God can save us. 

i appreciate spirituality, but only common sense and the understanding of what this thing is going to fix this.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, row_33 said:

trying to be realistic here...

i expect we've all been exposed, you can't run and hide from it, it is hitting people with $$$$ so that won't save you

if you feel sick stay home, try to get out there though...

Actually, row_33, math suggests we have NOT all been exposed at this point.

Epidemiologist best guess (not just making up numbers, they have some data from Wuhan before testing became widespread and from Washington State backed up by genome sequencing - see upthread for references) is that we're currently running about 10x more cases than are currently diagnosed. 

There are currently 3,774 diagnosed cases in US so that would argue 37,740 actual cases as of this am.  Let's multiply by 2 as an error factor - 74,000 cases. 

Most of those are clustered in Washington State, SF, LA, and the NE corridor - Boston, NYC, Philly. 

Let's suppose that all infected were clustered in the greater Boston area with 8.2 million people (which they are not), that would still be less than 1% of the population infected at this point.  Greater NYC area even lower.

So your personal chance of exposure at this point is actually quite low, and the chance at this point that social isolation will slow the disease spread are high - if people take it seriously, NOW.

Also emerging evidence suggests people are infectious 1-2 days before symptoms appear, so don't rationalize "Imma good to get out there 'cuz I feel fine"

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

oh yea she's doing the full safety stuff.  yea, i facetimed this morning and had her strip down so i can check for the virus to see if i could see it on her! lol.  they do have a patient with the virus at her hospital. which is in the middle of nowhere. 

I feel you should repeat this vital safety inspection the moment she walks through the door

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Halloween Land said:

It's not. It's the best idea. Don't underestimate the power of prayer. Only God can save us. 

I respect the Power of Prayer, but one post on the topic was enough to convey your view.  

In case that wasn't clear enough, my mod powers shall smite thee if thou continueth.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I took a weeks vacation this week and now have a week of nothing to do. So I ordered new furniture and will wait for it to be shipped... Hopefully. 

Was supposed to go to NJ to see my parents but that isn't happening. My buddies cruise next week is cancelled he is wondering if he should just keep working instead... If we will even be working next week. A big part of our food company is shipping part so we are waiting to see. Right now we have a spike in shipments b.c people are staying home and ordering ready made meals.

2 hours ago, teef said:

still think this is an over reaction?

Yes. South Korea tested 100,000 people and 96% were negative. 

ETA:  We know who the high risk people are, so obviously the high risk people should be taking extreme measures to avoid it. But everybody else should be able to live their lives. Completely shutting down bars and restaurants is asinine. I can see limiting their capacities though....

Edited by John in Jax

18 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Boy I’d sure love it if the U.S. tested that many people, you know, so we actually knew how many infected we had.

South Korea began ramping up testing procedures within weeks of the outbreak in Wuhan and were testing 10,000 people a day with drive-up testing sites all over the country. 

They listened to the experts and immediately took action to contain the spread.

Edited by BillsFan4

15 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

ETA:  We know who the high risk people are, so obviously the high risk people should be taking extreme measures to avoid it. But everybody else should be able to live their lives. Completely shutting down bars and restaurants is asinine. I can see limiting their capacities though....

yup.  you don't understand.  got it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Boy I’d sure love it if the U.S. tested that many people, so we actually knew how many infected we had.

South Korea began ramping up testing procedures within weeks of the outbreak in Wuhan and were testing 10,000 people a day with drive-up testing sites all over the country. 

They listened to the experts and immediately took action to contain the spread.

It probably would have happened sooner here in Canada and the U.S.  but the issue is that people seem to panic a lot easier here. In Europe when any of their government imposes closures, people seem to accept it. Even the suggestion of self-isolate after returning from out of country, most seem to ignore and just go back to work. 

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

My dentist office just cancelled my cleaning appointment 

for tomorrow 

we're not doing that yet, but my schedule is showing the effects.  right now were having people stay in their cars, and call us when they arrive.  we will come out and get them.  if anyone is sick, or has traveled, they have to stay away.  constantly washing handles, surfaces, etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, teef said:

i appreciate spirituality, but only common sense and the understanding of what this thing is going to fix this.  

the most common sense practical people in my life are spiritual, put most of us to shame

they aren't watching MSM for boiling of their emotions

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, row_33 said:

the most common sense practical people in my life are spiritual, put most of us to shame

they aren't watching MSM for boiling of their emotions

i hope no one thinks i meant being spiritual leads to not having common sense.  i just hope no one exchanges the power of prayer for doing the basic things we've all be instructed to do.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

i hope no one thinks i meant being spiritual leads to not having common sense.  i just hope no one exchanges the power of prayer for doing the basic things we've all be instructed to do.  

they do both, and then go out to help others

they put almost all of us to shame....