In looking at safety depth -- Karl Joseph is a FA

I was just browsing through free agents coming up here and I was surprised to see his name. I would love it if he Bills looked hard at Karl Joseph, especially with Poyer contract situation and how he seemingly wants to get paid.

Joseph was a first round pick a few years ago by an older regime, he's 5'10, 200 pounds and can play that hybrid in the box safety McD loves. Our tackling last year was not spectacular and I think Joseph can help upgrade here. I don't think he was put in the best situation in Oak and these are the type of guys McBeane feast on. 

Beyond Poyer and Hyde, we really only have Johnson and Marlowe so we can definitely upgrade there. According to Spotrac, his AAV is 6 mill per. 

I think our depth in the secondary will be a focal point in FA's / trades (I'd love if we finagled Josh Jackson from GB for a mid- late round pick). 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I was just browsing through free agents coming up here and I was surprised to see his name. I would love it if he Bills looked hard at Karl Joseph, especially with Poyer contract situation and how he seemingly wants to get paid.

Joseph was a first round pick a few years ago by an older regime, he's 5'10, 200 pounds and can play that hybrid in the box safety McD loves. Our tackling last year was not spectacular and I think Joseph can help upgrade here. I don't think he was put in the best situation in Oak and these are the type of guys McBeane feast on. 

Beyond Poyer and Hyde, we really only have Johnson and Marlowe so we can definitely upgrade there. According to Spotrac, his AAV is 6 mill per. 

I think our depth in the secondary will be a focal point in FA's / trades (I'd love if we finagled Josh Jackson from GB for a mid- late round pick). 

Poyer is not a free agent and signed a contract,  his wife needs to go read the contract and understand her husband is no star

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Poyer is not a free agent and signed a contract,  his wife needs to go read the contract and understand her husband is no star

According to his stats though, yeah, he is kinda a star at his position. Yes we’ve all seen the blooper reel of poyer missing a couple tackles spectacularly but overall he has been very, very good. If Poyer’s not a “star” who is responsible for the defensive turnaround since the rex days? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

According to his stats though, yeah, he is kinda a star at his position. Yes we’ve all seen the blooper reel of poyer missing a couple tackles spectacularly but overall he has been very, very good. If Poyer’s not a “star” who is responsible for the defensive turnaround since the rex days? 

Wait are you saying Poyer is responsible for the defensive turnaround? 

4 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

sean McDermott, Leslie Frazier. 

6 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

According to his stats though, yeah, he is kinda a star at his position. Yes we’ve all seen the blooper reel of poyer missing a couple tackles spectacularly but overall he has been very, very good. If Poyer’s not a “star” who is responsible for the defensive turnaround since the rex days

Many people

• Thank you (+1) 1

Poyer is under contract for 2020 at a $4.075M cap hit and will be a UFA after this season absent some extension or deal.   Signing him to a new deal at a market value and cap responsible level would be a good move but I wouldn't break the bank.  I think he's played at an above average level and helped provide stability and leadership to the defense while it was developing but I wouldn't call his overall performance great or elite here.  My guess is this might be a spot where management will be looking to find less expensive and more physical options through the draft. 

I hope Jordan gets paid what he's looking for but I wouldn't want my wife tweeting out messages about my contract and publicly making what sounds like ultimatums to my current employer.   I have absolutely no idea what she does or if she's some kind of celebrity or famous for something but maybe the smart play is to leave the negotiating to the professionals here.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I like Joseph. Would be willing to take a flier. $6m feels a little rich for a backup safety though. And you are definitely going to have a problem with Poyer if you bring in his backup on more money than he is. 

I don’t disagree. I think they’re going to fall in love with his versatility. 

he can play big in the box and can play man high(albeit not as good as Poyer). I’d love to see what Karl Joseph’s market value is. 

nickel and dime defenses are en vogue in the NFL.  3 quality safetys would be on the field same time very frequently.

I like Joseph, and feel Safety is a sneaky need.

Marv always said you can't have too many CBs.  Well you can't have too many quality safetys IMO

• Like (+1) 1

Not that the D remaining strong is not important, because it is, we all know that it was a huge part of the success the team had this past season. 

None the less, we lost seven games last season, WC included, because the Offense in its current make up can’t score enough points, (imo, mostly because of untimely dropped passes)

It is my considered opinion ? that three TDs are needed every game as a minimum, offensive play makers are the real priority for the Bills, as good as they are,  I don’t think the D is going to score a TD every game for us, being that they kinda fell short on that this past season.?

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Pete said:

nickel and dime defenses are en vogue in the NFL.  3 quality safetys would be on the field same time very frequently.

I like Joseph, and feel Safety is a sneaky need.

Marv always said you can't have too many CBs.  Well you can't have too many quality safetys IMO

This especially with his size and tenacity.. He could play 1st and second down..... I think he'd be a HUGE upgrade over Marlowe/ Neal/ Johnson..... 

26 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Not that the D remaining strong is not important, because it is, we all know that it was a huge part of the success the team had this past season. 

None the less, we lost seven games last season, WC included, because the Offense in its current make up can’t score enough points, (imo, mostly because of untimely dropped passes)

It is my considered opinion ? that three TDs are needed every game as a minimum, offensive play makers are the real priority for the Bills, as good as they are,  I don’t think the D is going to score a TD every game for us, being that they kinda fell short on that this past season.?

Go Bills!!!

Must have missed Poyer being dragged 15 yards and Milano / Neal missing tackles on Watson. 

4 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

This especially with his size and tenacity.. He could play 1st and second down..... I think he'd be a HUGE upgrade over Marlowe/ Neal/ Johnson..... 

Must have missed Poyer being dragged 15 yards and Milano / Neal missing tackles on Watson. 

I think you got my point, it’s the Offenses job to score the points, and they don’t do it enough, maybe you missed that...

26 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I think you got my point, it’s the Offenses job to score the points, and they don’t do it enough, maybe you missed that...

Nah, I didn't miss that. The point of this thread is also not about offense.. maybe you also missed that.

It's clear the strength of this team is the defense. Why not keep it that way while the offense is developing? Making tackles in critical situations was definitely a weakness of the unit (on more than one occasion).... maybe.... you missed that my guy.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So, what's your opinion on Karl Joseph?  Should Beane go after him?

I think he could an option,  i don't believe he needs to give Poyer crazy money because he is an average to good safety who was a seventh round pick.    I like the job he has done but would not pay him more than 4-5 million a season.

I guess he is letting her to the talking  ,  for some reason that suit looks a little small on her.  LMAO

[I'm sorry, but stuff that might get flagged by Google Ads as adult content can't be allowed here ☹️ ]

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
racy pic removal

11 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Rex himself displayed star quality by just leaving.

2 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Nah, I didn't miss that. The point of this thread is also not about offense.. maybe you also missed that.

It's clear the strength of this team is the defense. Why not keep it that way while the offense is developing? Making tackles in critical situations was definitely a weakness of the unit (on more than one occasion).... maybe.... you missed that my guy.

As I blatantly said in my post, the D is very important, the intent was to point out the greater need, and that is an offensive that scores more points more often, while maintaining a quality D. I don’t see the team as D vs O merely where the team needs to be upgraded the most. I don’t go for one phase of the game being more or less important, except for STs which when  doing well are actually mediocre, and should never have priority over the D or the O ? ?