Armstead instead of Epenesa

He's not talked about allot in free agency for the bills, but isn't he an NFL seasoned player that everyone has a hardon for that is Epenesa. Sure he isn't the cost controlled player that Epenesa would be but you also don't have to wait four him to mature into the player you hope he'll be. 

1 hour ago, ScorpionZero said:

He's not talked about allot in free agency for the bills, but isn't he an NFL seasoned player that everyone has a hardon for that is Epenesa. Sure he isn't the cost controlled player that Epenesa would be but you also don't have to wait four him to mature into the player you hope he'll be. 

I would love us to make a push to sign Arik Armstead, but the word is the 49ers want him back and are working to re-sign him.

Course, that doesn't mean other teams can't offer him more....

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure about Armstrong, but I don't think Epenesa is in the discussion for the Bills at #22 any longer...He does not fit the athletic profile for a 1st Round DE...And the Bills usually stick pretty close to those thresholds...Ed Oliver's size being the outlier...But Oliver is an incredible athlete who dominated out-of position in College...

I'd be fine with Epenesa at #54...But not much before...?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Not sure about Armstrong, but I don't think Epenesa is in the discussion for the Bills at #22 any longer...He does not fit the athletic profile for a 1st Round DE...And the Bills usually stick pretty close to those thresholds...Ed Oliver's size being the outlier...But Oliver is an incredible athlete who dominated out-of position in College...

We signed Trent Murphy.  

• Like (+1) 2

Stop me if you've heard this before...

Two men walk into a bar. The first one says, "Have you heard about the difference between Armistead and Espenesa?"

The bartender says, " Get out of here with this obvious speculatory nonsense. We serve Bourban AND Whiskey here."

This is what these OP's do to me?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

I'm also.... just not sold on this guy or YGM .... I feel like they're highly rated because of how weak the draft class is at this position. I don't want us to draft the best of a bad bunch, if that makes sense.

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I'm also.... just not sold on this guy or YGM .... I feel like they're highly rated because of how weak the draft class is at this position. I don't want us to draft the best of a bad bunch, if that makes sense.

I watch a decent amount of big 10 football... but i cant say i watch the DE on Iowa.  I have no idea if he's good.  

3 hours ago, warrior9 said:

This is my worry also.  I have heard a lot of good things about Epenesa and YGM, but I think it may be just what you’re saying.  Epenesa scares the living daylights out of me.

I’m not yoked to metrics but at 22 we damn well better be taking a player that’s athletic.  His SPARQ score is in the 15th percentile for Edge players.  That’s not a typo.  There is zero chance I am interested in him for the Bills on days 1 or 2.  I think he’d be best served as a 3-4 DE.  I think a team that plays that gets him on day 2.

Gross-Matos is probably going to be a solid 4-3 DE and he’ll get over drafted due to the league wide need and scarcity of Edge players.  I don’t want the Bills to be the team that does it.  Taking him at 22 just seems like a reach unless the difference makers are all gone and we were unable to trade up to acquire one or get value in a trade back.  He’s my safety school at 22. 

Edited by BarleyNY

5 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Agree completely. These guys are so slow. And I'm not just talking the 40.

They look slow during the game.

Epenesa is crazy strong which helps him against college kids. But he moves like Godzilla and pro linemen will control him with technique and strength. 

Just my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

This is my worry also.  I have heard a lot of good things about Epenesa and YGM, but I think it may be just what you’re saying.  Epenesa scares the living daylights out of me.

I’m not yoked to metrics but at 22 we damn well better be taking a player that’s athletic.  His SPARQ score is in the 15th percentile for Edge players.  That’s not a typo.  There is zero chance I am interested in him for the Bills on days 1 or 2.  I think he’d be best served as a 3-4 DE.  I think a team that plays that gets him on day 2.

Gross-Matos is probably going to be a solid 4-3 DE and he’ll get over drafted due to the league wide need and scarcity of Edge players.  I don’t want the Bills to be the team that does it.  Taking him at 22 just seems like a reach unless the difference makers are all gone and we were unable to trade up to acquire one or get value in a trade back.  He’s my safety school at 22. 

Agree. Wouldn't take either at #22. I'd prefer Bradlee Anae to both and he might be available on the 2nd. 

Armstead is the one guy I don't want

- 2 out of the 5 seasons he's played, he has sat out half the season with injury.

- He never had more than 3 sacks in a season before this year.

- He plays on a loaded defense and faces solo coverage all the time due to Bosa and Bruckner getting attention.

- He never did anything until the two guys (above) came in and dominated, which created opportunities for him.

- He will be incredibly expensive.

NO.

20 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Arik Armstead is a 3-4 DE, not an edge rusher.

If we signed him, it would probably be as a replacement for Jordan Phillips.

Ehhh i see Armstead as a tweener. To small for a 3 tech and to big for a 4-3 DE. If he lost 5-10 pounds i could him signing here as a DE