What would you think of Stefon Diggs and Xavier Rhodes for Cole Beasley, Taron Johnson and a 4th rounder

6 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Dion Dawkins played more snaps than Duke Williams so guess would make more sense to have him take Beasley's place.  The fact that Beasley and Williams play different positions, didn't stop you from proposing this, so lets go with Dawkins instead!  On top of that I believe his catch completion percentage is better than either Beasley or Williams (1 for 1)

Actually, it's higher than that.  Two TD receptions even!  100% TD on each catch!  Winner!

18 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

We need a #1 WR guy to stretch the field in the worst way possible.

FA Market / Draft

This is a WR rich draft with potential Day 1 starters available all the way into the third round.  However, the FA market is thin with only Amari Cooper and maybe Green (if not franchise tagged) likely available.

That brings me to trade possibilities

Stefon Diggs is unhappy in Minny - has removed all Vikings mentions from twitter and was complaining about targets all year. He also apparently cannot get along with Adam Thielen. He has been mentioned on the internet as a trade candidate forever. However most of the discussion has focused on the Pats as trade partners.

Thielen is a true #1 with great outside skills - but has been forced to go inside a lot to defer to Diggs (especially after the latter complained). While he (Thielen) has done admirably in the slot - his true position is outside.

Why Beasley & Taron Johnson?

Minny is in a horrible horrible cap situation. They will save 5.5 million by trading Diggs. Trading Rhodes saves them an additional 8.1 mill. They will also likely be extending Cousins (to reduce the cap hit), and releasing Livnal Joseph to create some cap space. They want to be competitive and do not want to get rid of all their assets in a firesale. Based on above discussion, Thielen and Minny can benefit a lot from having a guy like Beasley operating underneath. Cole and Taron are signed to very reasonable contracts - together will count less than 6.5 mill for 2020.  Cole has done a great deal for our team.  And Taron has clearly outplayed his contract. Minny also has Holton HIll ready to step into Rodes' shoes. Having Taron and Cole keeps Minny competitive but at about 7.1 million less. 

Why the trade for us? 

As we saw in the Houston playoff game, to take the next step, we need a guy to stretch the field and Diggs is among the best out there. Also, we have Dukle Williams ready to step into Beasley's shoes - already in the Hou playoff game, I think Duke was in for more snaps than Beasley. With a WR rich draft (we are taking at least one WR in the first 3 rounds), we dont really have roster space for both Beasley and Diggs. we can easily absorb the extra salary with our cap situation. We acutely felt Levi Wallace's absence late last season and need depth at CB. And if Rhodes does not work out, we can always cut him.

I am yet to see anyone here or on the net propose a trade for Diggs involving Beasley. So any comments will be much appreciated. Thanks.

The part in bold sounds like a great argument for keeping these 2 guy vs. trading them. I'd rather go after a FA like Demarcus Robinson or Breshad Perriman and draft one. We want to build on last year and trading Cole and Taron would be counter to that. Plus I really don't want a guy who whines when he's not getting enough touches. We don't need Josh feeling compelled to publicly apologize to Diggs like Cousins did last year for not throwing to him enough. Has the appearance that Diggs is a "me" person.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Vikings have a year left on Cousins big contract.  Why would they want to trade away either or both of his best weapons?

Doubt they want to, but as we saw last year, both Thielen and Diggs made a big stink early in the year and suggested they wanted to be traded when they seemed disgruntled with Cousins

5 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Doubt they want to, but as we saw last year, both Thielen and Diggs made a big stink early in the year and suggested they wanted to be traded when they seemed disgruntled with Cousins

Stefanski imo. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

So get rid of 2 team oriented players that fit the "Process" that McD is trying to make that have cap friendly contracts going forward not to mention Beasley being a very productive part of the offense to a diva type in Diggs that is very talented but has a huge ego (Look at me c what i can do) that doesn't get along with some of his team mates which could be a possibility here & will have a contract to match his ego ??

When we could keep what Beane has brought in & get in a year where the draft is filled with very talented, young, cap friendly contract rookies that fit & want to come to B/Lo for more than a huge contract through the draft to build on what is here ? ??

No offense, I'll pass,  I think i'll follow Beane's lead just makes more sense IMHO ... 

• Like (+1) 1

ok, this thread is ridiculous.  And not the OP's post, but the reactions to it.  We all know we need to improve the WR position.  The OP suggests a unique way to improve the position.  The responses have largely been overly derogatory.  Some have made good points (Beasley is a safety blanket for JA, loves it here, and would be a culture killer to trade him); others act like we could never replace Beasley and/or have no need for a bigger WR who can stretch the field because we have Brown.  

Would I make this trade, no, but people, quit piling on the OP as if he suggested trading away JA for Peterman.  

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

ok, this thread is ridiculous.  And not the OP's post, but the reactions to it.  We all know we need to improve the WR position.  The OP suggests a unique way to improve the position.  The responses have largely been overly derogatory.  Some have made good points (Beasley is a safety blanket for JA, loves it here, and would be a culture killer to trade him); others act like we could never replace Beasley and/or have no need for a bigger WR who can stretch the field because we have Brown.  

Would I make this trade, no, but people, quit piling on the OP as if he suggested trading away JA for Peterman.  

Look, the OP suggested the Vikes might trade a top-20 WR and a pro-bowl CB for a very good slot receiver, a nickel corner, and a late pick. 

That's Just Silly.  Too much time playing Madden; not enough time thinking about it from the point of view of the trade partner's GM.

No, it's not quite trading Allen for Peterman, but it's closer to that level of ridiculousness than you seem to believe.   We have a pretty savvy bunch here; if they pile on something, there's generally a reason.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Look, the OP suggested the Vikes might trade a top-20 WR and a FORMER pro-bowl CB for a very good slot receiver, a nickel corner, and a late pick. 

That's Just Silly.  Too much time playing Madden; not enough time thinking about it from the point of view of the trade partner's GM.

No, it's not quite trading Allen for Peterman, but it's closer to that level of ridiculousness than you seem to believe.   We have a pretty savvy bunch here; if they pile on something, there's generally a reason.

Fixed.  He was pretty bad last year and was benched at times last year due to his poor play.

• 2 weeks later...