Versatility- McBeane loves it. Short mock based on it

NewEra

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Beane is VERY unlikely to trade down...if anything he is more likely to trade up to get his guy. 

Or.........do both.

Trade down, then back up when his guy is still on the board. That wouldn’t surprise me at all. If we know anything, it’s that he’s not afraid to move a move. 

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Tweener type players are very risky esp early on since they can often get lost at positions. Although a guy being versatile isn't a bad thing. Deboo from the Niners is a good example of a player who is a quality receiver who can do other things that improves his overall contribution. That type of versatility is a good thing. 

Love taking a shot on tweener type in the 6th round (Vosean Joseph). Still believe he's gonna be a player.

Just not sure about investing high picks in these guys. It's an interesting thought and football is shifting both offensively and defensively in that ballcarriers/passcatchers have become much more versatile and safeties/LB's have become intertwined. 

I just feel like you can wait a bit for these guys because teams around the league are not necessarily willing to give up premium picks for tweeners just yet. 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I hope epenesa isn’t there so we don’t take him.  Reminds me of shaq.  Solid, yet unspectacular.  I’d prefer drafting someone other than him.  

I think he’s lucky the draft is weak in top end edge pass rushers minus young. Not much else beside Chaisson and he’s not really even regarded that high.

As I remember it Shaq looked explosive at times while at Clemson. Can’t say as much for Epenesa. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Edge is not happening in RD 1

It's WR, CB maybe OT if someone slides (never gonna happen). Spending a RD1 pick on a S McD's scheme is very unlikely, both of our starters were picked up off the scrap heap - can find productive players cheaper in FA or in the mid RDs of the draft IMO

He’s a safety and much more.  He can do so much and allows the defensive play caller a lot of options.  Might not be the best player but he could be the best fit if he doesn’t come off the field 

Just now, CommonCents said:

As I remember it Shaq looked explosive at times while at Clemson. Can’t say as much for Epenesa. 

He did?  I view them as similar players when they’re productive 

I've seen speculation that Antonio Gibson could switch to running back in the NFL.  I think I could buy into that.  He measured 6' and weighed 228 at the combine while running 4.39 in the 40.  You know the guy can catch a football, but he did play running back in high school and had reps there in college as well.  Lance Zierlein says he has an intriguing combination of size, burst, vision and power.  The Draft Network says he deserves consideration on the back end of day two in the draft (round 3).  There are things he needs to work on.  I think I might try to go edge rusher in the first (Gross-Mattos if I can get him) Denzel Mims or Claypool in round 2 and Antonio Gibson as a running back in round 3.  I'd maybe look for a linebacker in round 4.  Of course, that all depends on how the draft unfolds.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah me too.  Even gaines.  Someone.  I like the lil guy but I feel that his size (and small catch radius) really limits his effectiveness with our QB.  He’s good for certain things and not others. Would be nice to add someone that can do it all.

Are you talking about Bowden? IMO he’s surprisingly good at elevating, boxing out DBs, and catching passes in traffic. Kid just makes plays and has a bit of that Steve Smith edge. I’ll take that any day. Plus, he’s a former QB which - I think - adds value in Daboll’s scheme due to complexity. 

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

I hope epenesa isn’t there so we don’t take him.  Reminds me of shaq.  Solid, yet unspectacular.  I’d prefer drafting someone other than him.  

I think he’s lucky the draft is weak in top end edge pass rushers minus young. Not much else beside Chaisson and he’s not really even regarded that high.

Not sure I agree but then again, if he is there at 22 then the league consensus is that he is nothing to get excited about.

Seems like Gibson is generally considered a 3rd-4th round prospect. It would be pretty shocking to see him get taken in the 1st as you mentioned in the OP.

Dugger I think is a realistic option. He could end up being available to us in the 2nd round but his all-around skillset is something I'm sure McDermott would love to have. There will be higher rated safety prospects on the board when we pick, though again, I think Dugger's all-around skillset might place him higher on our board than others like Delpit for example.

On 3/4/2020 at 1:20 PM, WMDman said:

Yeah I can’t see dugger in the first round, I think they’d target someone more like Chasson who can play off the ball or edge rusher

Claypool in the 1st Dugger in the second .