Could MNF Return to it's Glory on ABC ? Are You Ready For Some Football ?

1 hour ago, loyal2dagame said:

The problem is that ESPN sucks. Too much ball washing for large market teams and not enough balanced commentating. 

The ESPN broadcast does suck and they have gotten progressively worse every year with their production. The commentary is horrendous. The good ole days of Al, Frank, and Dan are loooooong gone. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

there were 5 channels and they dominated opinion, manipulated  print media, then produced self -serving documentaries on how great it all was

if you feel that a football game on TV is a great thing in life....

you are free to rethink this as time grows shorter...

Watching football with my father after the death of my mother in '71 was essentially the only time he spent with me when he didn't have me working or was yelling at me or killing a bottle of Johnny Walker Red, so yea, it was a pretty great effin' thing in life at that time.

But hey...thanks for the broad stroke. Try not to cover too many perceptions with it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Even when I was young and barely slept, drank too much, and smoked that weed stuff, it was another football game. That it was on other than 1:00pm on Sunday was mostly an inconvenience, still is. The additional hype is totally unwarranted imo, but hell, people like what they like, if that floats your boat, more power to ya, ?

My family used to go on vacation the last 2 weeks of every summer, to a cabin pretty far removed from radio and tv reception. 

I would pine for the 1 or 2 days a week my dad would drive into town to restock the groceries (booze, I now realize, lol) so I could ride with him and scan the USA Today on sale to see the results of Buffalo's previous preseason game. 

Literally waiting for days to get a boxscore of a meaningless exhibition game.

But I loved it. The anticipation was divine.

That specific feeling will never, ever be recreated--I can watch the game live, from my phone, from pretty much anywhere in the world now.

So in short--no, Monday Night Football will never be what it was, to you, in your youth, ever again. 

The world has moved on, and the accessibility of the sport has grown by leaps and bounds.

The more interesting piece of this is ESPN and by extension ABC if they move back there has been upset with the matchups they get on MNF. Part of the reason for wanting the ability to flex games on MNF is because the matchups have not been good. From what I have read the NFL is going to try to balance the matchups more evenly between SNF which took all of the top games and MNF. Should be interesting to see where this goes.

4 hours ago, T master said:

i still loved it when Hank Jr. would sing "Are you ready for some football" man it was just part of the NFL experience for so long it just fit !!

This was the original 3 minute version of Hank Williams Jr.'s song "Rowdy Friends" when it was first released for the NFL in 1989. In the video below, the Bills at Jets are shown from 0:54-0:57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbpaxjNlGNw

In a new version of William Jr.'s song from 1991, the Bills are featured more than any other team, at least 5 times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL42W2O6mXY

Edited by The Fiend

I remember one time in the early 80's when MNF was blacked out in Buffalo due to a non-sell out, but ABC (channel 7) accidentally showed like 5 seconds of the game just before kick off. Then, quickly realizing their mistake, they suddenly switched it to whatever was showing instead. My excitement level went up for a few seconds, then it crashed.

Edited by The Fiend

Little to know impact, the NFL is over exposed.  When MNF was a big thing, there were 2 games on Sunday.  No SNF, ESPN or sport channels.  Heck I remember when Howard's 4 minute highlights of Sunday's were a big event.  That said, ESPN announcers have been awful and unwatchable.  Better announcers will help, but the heyday is gone like All in the Family, MASH and Taxi.     

MNF was really big when the only alternative was the games on Sunday afternoon, usually the AFL/AFC on NBC and NFL/NFC on CBS.  MNF was a chance to see another game, in a party mode, and see some highlights which we could only read about otherwise.  And when the Bills were shown on the highlights, there would be cheering.

Now MNF comes at the end of a gauntlet of games -- TNF, college on Saturday, three games on Sunday afternoon, and SNF.  I have a few other things to do with my time, and that's too much football to watch.  Granted, I record all games and watch them later, except for the Bills which I usually watch in real time.  Still, there are other things in life.  (Sorry if I offend.)

Sunday Night football getting the A-slate of games and the flex schedule helping ensure the best games late in the season made Monday Night football lose its cache years ago. I think if they put in more effort to get better games on Monday's and improve the commentary/presentation it can be better respected but I just don't see it ever returning to the event it once was. Even in the 2000's Monday Night football as a kid/teenager was always the game everyone talked about whereas the Sunday night game was usually an after thought unless something extraordinary happened or one of the local teams were playing. Now Sunday Night football has that cache and buzz. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyGold said:

My family used to go on vacation the last 2 weeks of every summer, to a cabin pretty far removed from radio and tv reception. 

I would pine for the 1 or 2 days a week my dad would drive into town to restock the groceries (booze, I now realize, lol) so I could ride with him and scan the USA Today on sale to see the results of Buffalo's previous preseason game. 

Literally waiting for days to get a boxscore of a meaningless exhibition game.

But I loved it. The anticipation was divine.

That specific feeling will never, ever be recreated--I can watch the game live, from my phone, from pretty much anywhere in the world now.

So in short--no, Monday Night Football will never be what it was, to you, in your youth, ever again. 

The world has moved on, and the accessibility of the sport has grown by leaps and bounds.

Setting aside the general nihilistic nature of getting older and everything being better when you are younger. In terms of general relevance Monday Night football can be the top relevant game or at least something that has a special nature to it. If they improved the presentation and got better games you would see more buzz about it. But Sunday Night getting the A-Slate and great presentation by NBC (Al Michaels one of the best announcers ever and overall great presentation) and the flex schedule really just put Monday Night football in the dustbin. 

I also think Thursday Night games have also had an impact as Monday Night used to be the last chance for action until the weekend. Now 3 days later you get a Thursday game. 

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

there were 5 channels and they dominated opinion, manipulated  print media, then produced self -serving documentaries on how great it all was

if you feel that a football game on TV is a great thing in life....

you are free to rethink this as time grows shorter...

What are you doing wasting your time on a football forum? Get out there and stand on your soap box!

4 hours ago, shane nelson said:

Little to know impact, the NFL is over exposed.  When MNF was a big thing, there were 2 games on Sunday.  No SNF, ESPN or sport channels.  Heck I remember when Howard's 4 minute highlights of Sunday's were a big event.  That said, ESPN announcers have been awful and unwatchable.  Better announcers will help, but the heyday is gone like All in the Family, MASH and Taxi.     

Way back then there were 4 games on Sunday, NFC and AFC doubleheaders.