Could MNF Return to it's Glory on ABC ? Are You Ready For Some Football ?

When i first started watching the NFL one game stood out each week that was a must watch and that was MNF.  Frank, Dandy Don, & Howard came on TV and commentated the game as only they could, as a young fan i soaked it in every chance that dad would allow me to watch and every night herring Don sing turn out the lights the party's over even made me want to watch even more being a country music fan too !

All that being said the biggest mistake in my life that was ever made was taking MNF off of ABC & changing it to ESPN because we didn't have cable at that time so i could no longer watch so during football season my Monday's were much less exciting . Even Al Micheal's knew he must follow the golden goose to NBC which is now MNF on Sunday .

Sunday night football is now what MNF use to be for the fans, i really enjoy the commentators & the format of the show is very similar to what MNF was but i still loved it when Hank Jr. would sing "Are you ready for some football" man it was just part of the NFL experience for so long it just fit !!

While doing my daily NFL reading from website to website i saw a article that mentioned the slight possibility or as stated in the article "Rumblings" of bringing MNF back to ABC also those in power at ABC trying to woo Peyton Manning into the driver seat as the main commentator for the game which i don't think Peyton needs the money but it i guess could be a possibility and i think he would be very good at it .

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/02/report-espn-reaches-out-to-peyton-manning/amp/#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251$s?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE=

I was just wondering what the Bills fans here might think of a MNF come back, do you think it would work now that SNF has such a good grasp on ratings & would you bring back Hank to do the opening song like he did in the glory days ? 

I think if nothing else it might be a ratings booster even though the TV landscape has changed everyone now has cable or some kind of modem to watch or stream games. There aren't nearly as many people to cheap (such as myself) the won't pay for cable which was a big reason why when MNF changed to ESPN i believe the ratings went down because cable wasn't as wide spread as it is now .

What do you think ?  Are you ready for some football ? Could i get punctuation & spell check please ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Monday Night Football's lost the cachet it had as the de facto "game of the week" when there was much less NFL content to consume.

Now, it's just another game, with no real reason to watch--other than a lack of other things to do...  

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 2

The issue is ESPN is decline and a number of cable providers have moved ESPN to secondary tiers to try to get customers to pay more while adding multiple "reality" channels no one would pay extra for to standard tier.  This has made putting game on ESPN not very cost effective.  ABC should just do SNF and MNF.   They could counter program other sporting events on ESPN for the non-football fans.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Monday Night Football's lost the cache it had as the de facto "game of the week" when there was much less NFL content to consume.

Now, it's just another game, with no real reason to watch--other than a lack of other things to do...  

Remember when there was Monday Night Baseball (pre-ESPN era)?

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, T master said:

When i first started watching the NFL one game stood out each week that was a must watch and that was MNF.  Frank, Dandy Don, & Howard came on TV and commentated the game as only they could, as a young fan i soaked it in every chance that dad would allow me to watch and every night herring Don sing turn out the lights the party's over even made me want to watch even more being a country music fan too !

Howard's halftime highlights were the best. I was never allowed to stay up that late on a school night, but sometimes my father would let me stay for Howard's halftime. It mostly depended on whether his bet looked good at the half.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

For whatever monetary reasons, Monday night games seem to have been relegated from the premier game to the 4th ranked (Sunday Night - Thursday - Sunday 4PM - Monday - Sunday 1PM)

This is exactly right.  Whether ABC or ESPN does it matters a little, but making Monday night the premier matchup of the week (like Sunday night is now) would do much more to re-elevate Monday night football than merely switching what channel the game is on.  

And to the OP, yes, me and all my rowdy friends are ready to enjoy MNF again.  Bring back Hank!

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It was all hype, people swooning like MNF was the greatest thing ever

Growing up in the 70s, having the lone TV on for anything was a luxury in my house. My father turned it on for a very short list of things we could watch:.

• NFL
  • Harlem Globetrotters
  • NBC Wednesday Night Mysteries (which included McMillan and Wife, Columbo, Banacek and McCloud)
  • It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, West Side Story and Wizard of Oz, when they aired.

Make no mistake. At the time for 12-year-old me, MFN was certainly one of the greatest things ever.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

Growing up in the 70s, having the lone TV on for anything was a luxury in my house. My father turned it on for a very short list of things we could watch:.

• NFL
  • Harlem Globetrotters
  • NBC Wednesday Night Mysteries (which included McMillan and Wife, Columbo, Banacek and McCloud)
  • It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, West Side Story and Wizard of Oz, when they aired.

Make no mistake. At the time for 12-year-old me, MFN was certainly one of the greatest things ever.

Exactly the same for me, the old man wasn't much on MNF but All in the family was his primetime fave &  the Road runner on the Saturday morning cartoons use to make him laugh so hard i thought he would have a heart attack !! ?

3 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

• NFL
  • Harlem Globetrotters

there were 5 channels and they dominated opinion, manipulated  print media, then produced self -serving documentaries on how great it all was

if you feel that a football game on TV is a great thing in life....

you are free to rethink this as time grows shorter...