Bills create a “Nickel Coach” position

This is from October:

How Jim Salgado has made Bills' rotation at nickel cornerback work

https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/25/buffalo-bills-nickel-cornerback-sean-mcdermott-nfl-jim-salgado-taron-johnson-siran-neal-skurski-dean-marlowe/

Salgado’s role as a defensive assistant is one that doesn’t draw much attention, so it was noteworthy this week when Salgado was singled out by McDermott during his Monday news conference. Specifically, McDermott praised the work Salgado has done with the Bills’ nickel cornerbacks. Because of an injury to Taron Johnson, the group has included three more players: Kevin Johnson, Siran Neal and Dean Marlowe.

Salgado’s long path to the NFL is one that has resonated with his players.

“That's something he spoke to me earlier this year about when I first moved to nickel. No matter how hard the job is, just keeping work at it and you'll eventually get there,” Neal said. “With him telling me that he went through that many internships just to get to this point, it's like, ‘Dang, if you keep at something, you'll eventually get it.’ Now he's doing a great job with the guys. It shows where hard work will get you, and now that he's got the job, he's working even harder to get something bigger.”

The results this season for the Bills’ defense will certainly look good on Salgado’s resume. Even after Taron Johnson got hurt in the season opener and missed the next four games, the Bills haven’t missed a beat.

“How he's got the whole group working as one, no matter who they put in the game, they go in and do a good job,” Neal said. “That's on Jimmy and his style of coaching. He gets everybody ready to go, no matter who it is.”

Collectively, Taron Johnson, Kevin Johnson and Neal have been targeted 26 times in slot coverage. They have allowed 18 catches for 159 yards, but no touchdowns.

“We always talk about overlap teaching,” Salgado said. “A lot of the techniques carry over whether you're a corner, a nickel or a safety, which is a great thing about our defensive system. Then you've got a bunch of guys that love the game and love to work. They come in extra. Not only the allotted times that are on our schedule, but they know that we're here, whether it be early in the morning, before the day starts, or at night, after practice when they're done. They're coming in wanting to meet more.“.

I love Siran Neal

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Sounds like a title change to give a label to what he was already doing.

Yeah, but I don’t see the title disappearing. Nickel is a real thing in football today. The only reason we sometimes have 3 LBs on the field is because Milano & Edmunds can cover while LoAl/the 3rd LB rush.

49 minutes ago, bills_fan said:

Im cool with a 1st round CB.  Make that pass defense extra nasty.

You might be unique here.  Well, you're probably not unique here, but you should be.

Drafting perceived BPA is all very well, but at some point ya gotta build a team

17 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I wish I had a nickel for every pundit expressing an opinion on this...?

I see what you did there!