Leslie Frazier Promoted

9 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Makes it harder for a team to sign him away from us by giving him asst HC title while still keeping him as a DC

Now he could only leave for a HC job

Nah.  Not true.  It's just a promotion (and pay raise) for a guy who deserves it.  He was never going to leave for another DC job somewhere else.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Does this even change anything? 

Probably more money, more responsibility and a way to keep him here for a couple more seasons. Our window is open right now, leave nothing to chance.

Frazier is here for the long haul I believe. If he was 5 or 6 years younger he'd have had Head Coach interviews this hiring season. But quiet, laid back, non-flashy, 60 year old re-treads are not the order of the day for the NFL of 2020.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Hopefully this may mean that an extension is coming soon for McDermott (& perhaps for the GM too.). 

Unsure how this is related.  Also trying to understand what urgency there would be to extend McDermott and/or Beane with 2 years left on their contracts

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

His paycheck 

Does this also help protect from a team hiring him away as a DC/Assistant HC? I know a team can't take him laterally unless approved by the Bills, but if they were to offer a DC/Assistant HC job would that no longer of been a lateral move if he was still only officially a DC?

Also lets the Bills say “We already have one!” when Wrecks comes looking for an Ass’t. Head Coach job.  (Wrecks might try for teams looking for an ‘Ass. Head Coach’ job.)

EDIT:  Also blocks Brandon from claiming the AHC place in the company phone directory.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Obligatory Russ Brandon slam.

2 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Not to BV the place up, but didn't McD take away play calling duties from him for a while in year one?  I'd be interested to know the full story on that...

Possibly needed time for them to work together to develop a good system and rapport?  Only speculation on my part.

4 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Not to BV the place up, but didn't McD take away play calling duties from him for a while in year one?  I'd be interested to know the full story on that...

The Charger game in 2017.  McD started to blitz Rivers, which stopped the bleeding; too little, too late since LA piled on a 40 point lead by then.

I can let that go, but not the playoff game against Houston.  They blew a 16 point lead and allowed the Texans to convert on a 3rd and 18 by lining the LBs and DBs 20+ yards off the ball.  McD's or Frazier's idea?  Probably both were in agreement with the call, very similar conservative coaching styles.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

The Charger game in 2017.  McD started to blitz Rivers, which stopped the bleeding; too little, too late since LA piled on a 40 point lead by then.

I can let that go, but not the playoff game against Houston.  They blew a 16 point lead and allowed the Texans to convert on a 3rd and 18 by lining the LBs and DBs 20+ yards off the ball.  McD's or Frazier's idea?  Probably both were in agreement with the call, very similar conservative coaching styles.

Woof, I had actually blocked that Chargers game out for a while there.  It certainly  shut up the "it can't get any worse that Tyrod" posters, lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

For everyone applauding the promotion, let me ask: why?

Certainly the D has played well under McD & Frazier.  But how much of that can we attribute to McD and how much to Frazier?  As far as that goes, how much do we attribute to Beane for getting the right players?

I'm not knocking Frazier.  I actually tend to think highly of the guy.  I just don't honestly know how much he contributes when the HC is a defensive guy.