Dawson Knox Rookie Season Highlights

TSNBDSC

I love me some Dawson Knox. And I agree with the commentator in that he is a Jeremy Shockey type - brute force aggression. 

and I never understood the “Cody sucks” comments. Do you remember the amount of shade thrown at Dawkins? And now we all have love for him. Ford will be much better this coming season. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, TSNBDSC said:

Damn he made some great plays, but way too many drops on easy catches in critical situations.  I really hope he ups his game next year and learns to catch the easy ones too.

The other thing I. noticed and really liked was some really nice ball placement on the throws from Allen. Not easy throws, but placed where only Knox could make a play.

Edited by BillsRdue

14 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Guy is the definition of raw

if he ever puts everything together tho watch out

Agree completely...I hope the drops are just a matter of concentration and maturity, because the kid has some serious skill.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

If Knox could catch, hed easily be in the discussion as one of the better young TEs. However, there is still a lot of room to grow, and I think its telling the Bills wanted to bring in someone like Olsen to help mentor/groom Knox. e.g. how Gore helped Singletary.

That being said, I'd still like to try and upgrade the position. Need a more surehanded target. Allen clearly liked utilizing the TE, just need more consistancy.

I'm no expert (obviously), but I noticed throughout the season that it looks like Knox's hands are too close together on his drops. Might just need to spread his hands apart an extra inch or 2. Would let the nose of the ball go through the middle and his big paws secure it. With hands too close together, the ball basically hits a "hand wall" and drops.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

You can see it in super slow motion, but in real time it was probably very hard to see.

I get that,  but when the defender is on the receivers arms and not specifically   “making a play on the ball” ... 

I  live in Pittsburgh,  my 7 year old son saw the Bengals game and has made me watch Knox highlights every week after that.  I had to explain that a TE does not always get "highlights" because they also block.  He doesn't care, he watches the blocking, etc.    He got a Knox jersey for Christmas (that he wears to school.  Interestingly, the kid down the street has an Allen jersey, so they coordinate days to wear them).  I also went to his school's open house last night.  They have an art folder.  On the front cover of it.....he colored a Knox jersey.  

Can't wait to show him this video! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He has great athleticism but if he drops 20% of his targets again that's a deal breaker. That is just wayyyy too many drops. At this point I don't think the Bills have a single tight end they can fully count on. Hopefully Knox can become that guy but he hasn't shown any consistency yet. This is one of the positions I hope they target in free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/4/2020 at 8:59 AM, BillsRdue said:

Damn he made some great plays, but way too many drops on easy catches in critical situations.  I really hope he ups his game next year and learns to catch the easy ones too.

The other thing I. noticed and really liked was some really nice ball placement on the throws from Allen. Not easy throws, but placed where only Knox could make a play.

Yes.  Allen highlight films tend to mix in a lot of his spectacular runs.  But when I look at a highlight film of Knox, or Brown, or Beasley, what I see is a number of accurate throws placed accurately where only the receiver had a play.

• Like (+1) 2

Gotta go back to the draft to think about the pick in context:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/26/buffalo-bills-nfl-draft-dawson-knox/

Don’t think I violated any copyright but apologize if I did:

After Singletary was selected with the 74th overall pick, Beane watched as two tight ends were chosen -- Texas A&M's Jace Sternberger and San Diego State's Kahale Warring.

"There was starting to be a run on tight ends and you're kind of holding your breath and you start looking," Beane said. "Our next pick was 112. He fit the value where we picked him, and we were going 'there's enough teams that still can use tight ends.' We just didn't see any way that he would fall, and the next one that we had ranked was starting to be significantly lower. We just felt this was the time to jump. That was still another position that we wanted to address in this draft."

The Bills entered the draft with 10 picks. After Beane's two moves Friday, he has used four of those and has four more to come on the final day of the draft.

"Picks to me, I always talk about them as currency and it's kind of where the state of your roster is and what you've done," Beane said. "We came in where we didn't have a lot of positions that we felt we needed to address. So we said, 'let's follow the board, set the board right, don't skew it, and then when the board tells you you need to move up in the Cody Ford sense and again in the Dawson Knox sense, take advantage of those extra picks that you have and try and get those players at either the value you have on the board.' "

The same people complaining about Knoxs drops are the same people who say Ford sucks

He was an extremely raw rookie who made highlight plays and had some rookie moments. He has good hands you saw his catches , he needs to work on concentration

Just like Ford needs to work on some things. I re watched the whole season and Ford definitely held his own .. sure there were negative plays but he also manhandled guys and showed great athleticism and Promise 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This is why the calls for signing Hooper are silly.

Knox had some terrible drops but he made some great catches. The issue is in his head not his hands. That's fixable.

Rarely do TEs make such an impact in their rookie year. Ertz, Kelce, and Kittle took years to become dominant.

Knox has elite talent. Looking forward to year 2.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/13/2020 at 11:26 AM, Buffalo716 said:

The same people complaining about Knoxs drops are the same people who say Ford sucks

That's a ridiculous blanket statement and I don't see the correlation. 

Any receiver who drops 10 catchable balls out of 50 targets has a problem with drops, period. I don't think anyone said he can't get better. I like Knox and think he has potential.

I like Ford, that doesn't mean he was a good rt last year but he was just a rookie. Hopefully he improves if that is where they insist on playing him. I happen to believe he is better suited to play guard at this stage but in any case I've never thought or said that he sucks.

They were both rookies, I don't know why anyone would expect them to just step in and play like established veterans. 

Who are these 'same people' you speak of anyway? I'm not one of them and that alone makes your blanket statement false.

4 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

That's a ridiculous blanket statement and I don't see the correlation. 

Any receiver who drops 10 catchable balls out of 50 targets has a problem with drops, period. I don't think anyone said he can't get better. I like Knox and think he has potential.

I like Ford, that doesn't mean he was a good rt last year but he was just a rookie. Hopefully he improves if that is where they insist on playing him. I happen to believe he is better suited to play guard at this stage but in any case I've never thought or said that he sucks.

They were both rookies, I don't know why anyone would expect them to just step in and play like established veterans. 

Who are these 'same people' you speak of anyway? I'm not one of them and that alone makes your blanket statement false.

Well I don't think I ever quoted you so I don't see how you can take it personally

Second there are tons here who have given up on Ford at RT which is ridiculous.. and my correlation was that it's also ridiculous to think Knox has a drops problem

He was a rookie who needed time and a good amount of it

If he is still dropping balls in a year or 2 I'd say it's a problem

Both him and Knox need to develop their skills more