[Edited Title] CB AJ Bouye from Jags to Denver for 4th Round Pick

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

The entire defense underperformed this year.  Maybe you haven't paid much attention to the dumpster fire that Jacksonville has become recently. 

Bouye grades out as a top 15 DB by PFF.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/aj-bouye/8110

What are you talking about? Bouye was not highly rated on pff or anywhere else this past season, he was not good at all. Over 65% completion rate when targeted and over 9.5 yards per target is terrible.

6 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Really interesting trade. Bouye struggled a lot this year and wasn't anything special the year before either. Denver banking on him bouncing back obviously.

Bouye is very good when there's a bona fide #1 CB on the other side (Ramsey in Jax and Joseph in Houston). He would have been very good here with Tre and an instant upgrade. Not a surprise his play regressed once Ramsey jumped ship.

Edited by billsbackto81

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Bouye's last very good season was 2017, his last two seasons were not so good. Denver is banking on him regaining his 2017 form which seems like a risky proposition to me.

This.

Traded in conference for a 4th round pick?  Yea I'm sure the Jags are a dumpster fire but I'll bet they know this guy is a major reason why. 

8 hours ago, Logic said:

25% of the cap on just the secondary?

Seems like a bad idea.

I'm glad we have Brandon Beane, who seems to be a salary cap savant, instead of John Elway.

LOL.  It's easy to cut players and throw away an entire season to give yourself cap space.  And Beane has a track record of overspending on free agents - Star, Murphy, Morse, and Long are all overpaid. Morse was an improvement at center but he is far from the best center in the league which is the contract Beane gave him.  I do think he has done a good job in how he has structured some of the contracts giving himself some outs.  Let's see how he spends this year.  

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Bouye is very good when there's a bona fide #1 CB on the other side (Ramsey in Jax and Joseph in Houston). He would have been very good here with Tre and an instant upgrade. Not a surprise his play regressed once Ramsey jumped ship.

Can you explain this?  It doesn't make any sense.  Having a #1 opposite him, means he will get more targets thrown his way.  Even if Ramsey shadowed their best WR (which no DB does for entire games - Tre only did sparingly) he would still see more passes thrown his way and really doesn't mean anything in terms of his ability to cover.  

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

“Mr. Caldwell, Brandon Beane on line 1”
*jumps, surprised someone knew he was in charge*
Dave: ”Oh heyyy Brandon sup how bout the combine, schedules sucked huh?”

Beane: Yeahhh hey who is available and what do you want for each?

Dave: Um you need to talk to Coughlin, one sec...

Beane: Coughlin is ... gone, bro. They put me through to you. 
Dave: Man, that’s wild. Well hold on let me get Chris Polian he handles all the player personnel stuff, I’m too ***** busy with the draft stuff 

Beane: Polian isn’t there anymore. Weren’t you involved? 
Dave: I wasn’t privy. *****. Not sure who to throw under the bus now. 

Beane: Yannick hates you. You will get fired for that foles contract. I’ll take them both off your hands if you give me a 2nd and Leonard fournette

Dave: man, you are the best. The City of Good Neighbors indeed.  I owe you one. 

So hope this happens, just for the sake of this lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Turk71 said:

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/aj-bouye/8110

What are you talking about? Bouye was not highly rated on pff or anywhere else this past season, he was not good at all. Over 65% completion rate when targeted and over 9.5 yards per target is terrible.

Just checked.  That was 2017.  Oops.

I still wouldn't fault him entirely.  Jacksonville is a mess.

The Jags went from from 10-6 and the AFC Championship to 5-11 and 6-10 in subsequent years.  A once stellar defense has since fallen on its face and the stars of that defense are either gone, on their way out or have voiced that they want out.

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

LOL.  It's easy to cut players and throw away an entire season to give yourself cap space.  And Beane has a track record of overspending on free agents - Star, Murphy, Morse, and Long are all overpaid. Morse was an improvement at center but he is far from the best center in the league which is the contract Beane gave him.  I do think he has done a good job in how he has structured some of the contracts giving himself some outs.  Let's see how he spends this year.  

LOL.

I'm sorry, but getting the Bills from where they were, salary cap wise, to where they are now, in just two years...absolutely illustrates why I'm happy the Bills have Brandon Beane. 

As far as his "track record of overspending on free agents", I have news for you: When you're a rebuilding team that hasn't touched the playoffs in 17 years and play in a cold and undesirable city, you're going to have to overpay a bit to get certain guys to come here. You can get bottom barrel, replacement level players for their "correct value", sure, but in order to get the Mitch Morses of the world via free agency, you're going to have to overpay. I would also argue that Morse is not overpaid. He is also no longer the highest paid center in the league. And if you want to argue that Star is overpaid, that's fine, but I'll take the top three defense the Bills have now -- of which Star is a crucial part -- and you can keep the lackluster unit that preceded his arrival. Deal?

Besides all of the above, my original post referred to overall salary cap management and position group allocation. If you were to go through the different position groups on the Bills roster, you wouldn't find any one position group that takes up a disproportionate amount of the salary cap. Why? Because Beane is good at managing the salary cap. Allocating 25% of the cap to one position group? Not smart cap management.

2 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Bouye was not good last year.  Denver obviously feels that was an aberration and he will be able to return to a higher level of play.  Given Elway's recent track record as a GM, I wouldn't bet the ranch on this turning out well.

He actually has a good record of pro-personnel decisions. It is his drafting that has been poor.

15 hours ago, MJS said:

Jags were willing to cut him. Should tell you that he isn't as good as some think. He struggled last year and there's no telling if he will bounce back.

So good players never get cut? Good players never have a down year?

Cmon...

45 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

So good players never get cut? Good players never have a down year?

Cmon...

Players who get cut and who have down years are not as valued as those who are consistently good and who teams are not willing to cut. Players like that are traded for higher picks. But, there are some crappy organizations in the NFL who do make head scratching decisions. Beane has fleeced a number of organizations by trading players who he would have cut otherwise.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

LOL.

I'm sorry, but getting the Bills from where they were, salary cap wise, to where they are now, in just two years...absolutely illustrates why I'm happy the Bills have Brandon Beane. 

As far as his "track record of overspending on free agents", I have news for you: When you're a rebuilding team that hasn't touched the playoffs in 17 years and play in a cold and undesirable city, you're going to have to overpay a bit to get certain guys to come here. You can get bottom barrel, replacement level players for their "correct value", sure, but in order to get the Mitch Morses of the world via free agency, you're going to have to overpay. I would also argue that Morse is not overpaid. He is also no longer the highest paid center in the league. And if you want to argue that Star is overpaid, that's fine, but I'll take the top three defense the Bills have now -- of which Star is a crucial part -- and you can keep the lackluster unit that preceded his arrival. Deal?

Besides all of the above, my original post referred to overall salary cap management and position group allocation. If you were to go through the different position groups on the Bills roster, you wouldn't find any one position group that takes up a disproportionate amount of the salary cap. Why? Because Beane is good at managing the salary cap. Allocating 25% of the cap to one position group? Not smart cap management.

Agree on not allocating 25% of the cap to one position group.

Just to be clear, Beane created the salary cap mess you are giving him credit for solving. He traded Watkins and Dareus accelerating their cap hits.  It is perfectly reasonable to make those moves, but you can't then forgive the impact on the salary cap. 

I'm a fan of Star, much more so than many on this board. But he, Murphy, and Morse are overpaid for their level of production. You may be correct that Beane needs to overpay to attract talent to Buffalo. 

As for the disproportionate positon groups, that could change in a heart beat. If they sign a high dollar free agent DL or WR there will be significant dollars assigned to those groups. Not saying that is wrong, but if you add AJ Green or Amari Cooper to John Brown and Cole Beasley.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He actually has a good record of pro-personnel decisions. It is his drafting that has been poor.

I look at it as all part of the job.  The episodes with Keenum and Flacco give me pause about Elway.  I do agree that drafting has been the poorest part of his performance.  If he wasn't a legend in Denver, he would have gotten the boot by now.  I hope they keep him forever.

11 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I look at it as all part of the job.  The episodes with Keenum and Flacco give me pause about Elway.  I do agree that drafting has been the poorest part of his performance.  If he wasn't a legend in Denver, he would have gotten the boot by now.  I hope they keep him forever.

Agree he should be on the hotseat. He did win a Superbowl though - and he did a good job of loading up around Manning to make it happen. He has just pretty much sucked rebuilding the roster. Though I think there are bright sparks. If Drew Lock is the real deal I think they will be competitive in 2020. 

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to [Edited Title] CB AJ Bouye from Jags to Denver for 4th Round Pick