[Edited Title] CB AJ Bouye from Jags to Denver for 4th Round Pick

50 minutes ago, Logic said:

25% of the cap on just the secondary?

Seems like a bad idea.

I'm glad we have Brandon Beane, who seems to be a salary cap savant, instead of John Elway.

I’m still thankful that Elway passed on Josh Allen. I thought for sure when they didn’t trade with Buffalo, that Elway was taking him. Allen reminded me of Elway pre draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I’m still thankful that Elway passed on Josh Allen. I thought for sure when they didn’t trade with Buffalo, that Elway was taking him. Allen reminded me of Elway pre draft. 

He really liked Allen in the draft. I remember how much they showed him at Wyoming games.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Wow. What a great trade for Denver.

@MJS, this is the kind of fleecing that you can do to a team with cap issues; a bona fide starting CB for a day 4 pick.

Hope Beane is looking to do similar things.

Jags were willing to cut him. Should tell you that he isn't as good as some think. He struggled last year and there's no telling if he will bounce back.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If we can get Campbell for a later pick, that would be worth it. He's getting old, but he has another year or two left in him. Would give us time to find a good replacement.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Beane doesn’t have to play the Chiefs and Gruden 2x/year.

Gruden? The Bills play the Pats twice a year. Not sure your point...

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Would be quite happy with Campbell for cheap. Norwell is interesting to me. He was an all-pro in Carolina and then disappeared in Jacksonville. I wouldn’t hate to try and redeem him, but I imagine his contract would be too $ for the risk. 

3 hours ago, Billl said:

Any time you get the opportunity to trade a fourth round pick for the right to pay $14,000,000 a year to a guy who gave up 9.8 yards per attempt, you've got to do it.  I mean only 171 players gave up fewer.

The entire defense underperformed this year.  Maybe you haven't paid much attention to the dumpster fire that Jacksonville has become recently. 

Bouye grades out as a top 15 DB by PFF.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yup. 

The Bills are in a PERFECT position to take on Foles contract to offset the capital they'd have to give up to acquire Yannick.

PERFECT position.

JA doesn't strike me as the kind of kid who'd be worried about Foles contract.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Wow. What a great trade for Denver.

@MJS, this is the kind of fleecing that you can do to a team with cap issues; a bona fide starting CB for a day 4 pick.

Hope Beane is looking to do similar things.

Thats an expensive #2 CB. I’d rather draft one in the #2nd round and save roughly $12.5 million and deploy that money elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, wppete said:

Thats an expensive #2 CB. I’d rather draft one in the #2nd round and save roughly $12.5 million and deploy that money elsewhere.

Ah, but can you be confident that the one you draft in the 2nd round will be as good?

Or, in more pertinent terms: can you be confident that any player you draft in round 4 will contribute what Bouye is likely to in 2020 (or beyond)?

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Ah, but can you be confident that the one you draft in the 2nd round will be as good?

Or, in more pertinent terms: can you be confident that any player you draft in round 4 will contribute what Bouye is likely to in 2020 (or beyond)?

Beane and Co. have proven the know how to scout and draft. Its all about where to deploy the money. Having 2 CBs getting payed top money is not they way to build. Tre White will prob be the highest paid CB in football next year. The smart thing to do is draft a young stud in the second and pay under $1million. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 947 said:

Bouye is not worth $15.4M/year anymore.  He was pretty bad last year, compared to where he was 2 years ago. Getting a starting CB for a low pick sounds like robbery, but not if you have to grossly overpay him.

Its 2 year 27m and no guaranteed- pricy but compared to open market... at least you can cut and run if he doesn’t bounce back. That’s the value of the pick vs a big signing bonus 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, wppete said:

Beane and Co. have proven the know how to scout and draft. Its all about where to deploy the money. Having 2 CBs getting payed top money is not they way to build. Tre White will prob be the highest paid CB in football next year. The smart thing to do is draft a young stud in the second and pay under $1million. 

I would say that they’ve done well with their first round picks; aside from that the jury is very much out. Can’t count on nailing a 2nd round pick as a given.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, wppete said:

a move like this is perfect for where we are in the build. You are talking like we are a vet team. We are in a window where we can have 3-4 of these guys and then josh/tres contracts slowly replace their hits as they come off the roster 

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

a move like this is perfect for where we are in the build. You are talking like we are a vet team. We are in a window where we can have 3-4 of these guys and then josh/tres contracts slowly replace their hits as they come off the roster 

Good point. I prefer to draft the highest payed position with the top 3 picks and spend our money on the lines and depth. But I do trust Beane. 

Bouye's last very good season was 2017, his last two seasons were not so good. Denver is banking on him regaining his 2017 form which seems like a risky proposition to me.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

The entire defense underperformed this year.  Maybe you haven't paid much attention to the dumpster fire that Jacksonville has become recently. 

Bouye grades out as a top 15 DB by PFF.

If I'm a GM, I'm perfectly willing to trade away draft picks for players at times.  I'm also willing to pay top of the market for players at times.  What I'm never willing to do is trade away picks for the right to pay top of the market.  If I decide to make an exception, it's not for a guy who made a name for himself with a great season two years ago and two mediocre seasons since then.

56 minutes ago, wppete said:

Especially expensive if he doesn't play a lot better than he has the last two seasons.

• Like (+1) 1