Washington Post article on the future of The Athletic

10 minutes ago, jletha said:

Im a paid subscriber and I hope it lasts. I dont read it every day in the off season but during the season it has the best content for Bills stuff and thats true of every city.

Joined about a month ago, hope I get my years worth. Good stories on the Sabres, Nets and now Orioles with some Bills stuff

45 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Good story, thanks!

"With its growing subscriber base, the Athletic has already been more successful than early skeptics predicted, taking advantage of a fractured media environment and effectively serving the passions of local sports fans. But it has also spent millions on salaries.

Eric Jackson, founder of EMJ Capital, a tech and media venture capital fund, worried about the company’s cash flow and valuation. “Usually people disclose revenues when it’s good news,” he said. “Another thing is: Why did they need to raise more capital? Because they’ve spent the rest of it and they need to keep paying people? At a $500 million valuation, they’re hoping this is going to be like a unicorn and then some. But it’s a media business, and I don’t see that.” "

and

Last year, the Athletic expanded overseas, hiring a team of soccer writers to cover the English Premier League. It has more than 100 podcasts and plans to add more. And it’s landing bigger stories every year: Rosenthal, along with Evan Drellich, broke the Houston Astros sign-stealing story. The scoop netted several thousand new subscriptions, Hansmann, the Athletic’s co-founder, said in an interview.

“Our fundamental perspective is whenever there are layoffs somewhere else that it’s depressing,” Hansmann said. “But our business perspective is that interest in sports remains at close to an all-time high. So even as you have everything falling apart, the decline in the industry isn’t about the demand for content.”

Hansmann said he appreciated what the Athletic means to the industry right now. “I think as far as the pressure of that, we don’t think about how things might go wrong,” he said. “Obviously, we’ve built a large company and raised outside funding, plenty of it. We’re stretched as founders, sure, but we feel like we control our destiny.”

Surprised Washington Post did not make it a pay article but I have noticed many websites news is free but sports is not.  

I guess this is why The Atlantic's model is working.

The Athletic has raised $140 million, is approaching 1 million subscribers and is valued at about $500 million, according to the company. But it’s not yet profitable. It hasn’t released any revenue figures. And it has continued to raise money, including a recent buy-in from actor Matthew McConaughey. In other words, it could represent the idyllic future of sports journalism, a venture capital-backed mirage or something in between.

This sounds very much like Amazon model who was unprofitable for a very long time.

Hmm... they started out at $8 a month for a subscription and I don't think that lasted very long before they bumped it up to $11. The content is pretty good. Sometimes there's some filler, but guys like Joe B and Fairburn are on there, and Timmy Graham who I think is a solid writer that likes to troll sometimes. I dunno if I'd pay more than $11 a month though, so if they're looking for more revenue, hopefully it doesn't come in the form of charging subscribers more.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Surprised Washington Post did not make it a pay article but I have noticed many websites news is free but sports is not.  

This sounds very much like Amazon model who was unprofitable for a very long time.

Maybe Bezos wants to own the athletic as well as the Washington post. 

I think it is so funny to see the thread a few inches down on Sullivan writing for the Niagara Gazette and now having some freelance gigs at channel 4, and Bucky being completely out of this biz...all the while the Athletic is thriving and some many young guys are now prominent  writers like JoeB and Fairburn.

And Sullivan and Gleason blame it all their editors!!!!

34 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Hmm... they started out at $8 a month for a subscription and I don't think that lasted very long before they bumped it up to $11. The content is pretty good. Sometimes there's some filler, but guys like Joe B and Fairburn are on there, and Timmy Graham who I think is a solid writer that likes to troll sometimes. I dunno if I'd pay more than $11 a month though, so if they're looking for more revenue, hopefully it doesn't come in the form of charging subscribers more.

Well their annual subscription is $60, which is substantially lower than $11/month. I split it with my brother and a buddy so its $20 for the year and we get everything we want.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm a definite fan of the Athletic and not just for Bills and Sabres coverage (which I think is very good). There are lots of great articles on all kinds of things in there and i get my moneys worth from it.

The Internet was bound to disrupt journalism particularly sports journalism which for example TBD crowd sources with free contributors. 

hobbyists will do for it for free and have access to most all the same video clips, tweets and stats. 

to get paid, one needs to do a much better job (be it entertaining, analytical or other) than the hacks of yore! 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

I signed up in October when they started hoovering up a lot of the good soccer writers over here. As a former sports journalist myself I have to say it is a breath of fresh air. It is "proper" journalism. It isn't sensationalised garbage regurgitated for clicks. It isn't columnists trying to create personas. It is just quality content day after day. It cover my two biggest passions - soccer and the NFL - extremely well and I for one have basically given up reading the trash that sports pages of the mainstream newspapers churn out. I just read The Athletic articles on my morning commute.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think it is so funny to see the thread a few inches down on Sullivan writing for the Niagara Gazette and now having some freelance gigs at channel 4, and Bucky being completely out of this biz...all the while the Athletic is thriving and some many young guys are now prominent  writers like JoeB and Fairburn.

And Sullivan and Gleason blame it all their editors!!!!

Plenty of blame to go around when disruptive change happens and shakes things up. 

I think one particular additional point is opinion pieces are passé. I think the average sports news consumer is more educated than ever and is looking for knowledge and analysis more than more opinions. 

the internet has given a voice to billions of opinions from the most draconian to the most positive. The entertainment value has been replaced with free content alll over the place. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

The Athletic is a very good source for informative articles on the Bills and Sabres. If you are curious about league business , other leagues, other teams, it's a great source. If you're just looking to kill some time and read about sports, it's great. Always something of interest for a sports fan. Worth the $60/year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I hit a paywall couldn't read the wp article

It's pretty fascinating that I haven't heard much negative about The Athletic since it started. I'm not a subscriber so I don't know, but I find that interesting.