Eric Wood podcast with guest Brandon Beane

Really good interview  if you are looking for a podcast! 
Interesting insight on the types of players who get paid, his approach to the 2018 season, the 2017 trades. Apparently McDermott walked into the room and said “I promise you we aren’t tanking” before announcing the trades to the team 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Thanks for posting this.  As soon as I read this post, I immediately spent the last hour listening to it and it was well worth the listen.  It's really refreshing to hear how much Beane cares about the players.  The culture that he and McDermott has built is just incredible.  It was also nice hearing how the Pegula's came in and showed how much they care as well.  The Bills organization has definitely made it a family style environment and has made it a point that Buffalo is where you wanna be.  They have made the right steps on building the future of this team

2 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

This was fantastic!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Can we just give Beane and Sean an extension now??

I concur!

2 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Thanks for posting this.  As soon as I read this post, I immediately spent the last hour listening to it and it was well worth the listen.  It's really refreshing to hear how much Beane cares about the players.  The culture that he and McDermott has built is just incredible.  It was also nice hearing how the Pegula's came in and showed how much they care as well.  The Bills organization has definitely made it a family style environment and has made it a point that Buffalo is where you wanna be.  They have made the right steps on building the future of this team

I concur!

I get nervous about the Pegula's and how messed up the Sabres are.. just thank God they keep them separate , at least mindset and operationally .. 

Great stuff thanks for sharing.  Interesting to hear Eric's comments about how terrible the facilities were before the Pegula's came in.  I am sure it has been talked about before but this was the first place I had hear it described the way he did.  Great insights into Beane and the way he thinks.  Really glad to have him here.  

• Like (+1) 1

Great listen, I agree with One Buffalo hear the comments about how run down our facilities were pre-pegula.  Heard something similar recently about the Bengals how dumpy their faiclities were and guess what, they are the ONLY NFL team without an indorr practice facility.  Guess you are going to practice in the lements be it 80 degrees or 5.  That alone is enough for a lot of players, esp warm weather guys, to not go to Cinci.

I’m listening now. Thanks for sharing Yolo! 

Edit - it’s really good so far, but someone needs to take that damn tea kettle off the burner! lol  (I think it’s an issue with Beane’s mic)

Edited by BillsFan4

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting insight on the types of players who get paid, his approach to the 2018 season, the 2017 trades. Apparently McDermott walked into the room and said “I promise you we aren’t tanking” before announcing the trades to the team 

Wow!  I had always thought that McDermott came to Buffalo with a handshake deal to hire Beane as the GM

Beane says they had never discussed it, and in fact that McDermott wasn't even in on his interview - it was Terry and Kim.

Interesting.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wow!  I had always thought that McDermott came to Buffalo with a handshake deal to hire Beane as the GM

Beane says they had never discussed it, and in fact that McDermott wasn't even in on his interview - it was Terry and Kim.

Interesting.

I agree it's interesting.

Terry Pegula alluded to this when asked about the hiring process, i.e. that McDermott's reported influence was greatly exaggerated. John Kryk wrote about it, take it for what it's worth (I like him, I can get some additional Bills info in some of the local Canadian papers)

https://torontosun.com/2017/05/12/theres-not-a-czar-around-here-new-bills-gm-coach-duo-promise-collaboration/wcm/d396de9b-4e1d-456d-b713-11a95d494756

"What’s more, Terry Pegula insisted that in the GM interview process, “Sean’s involvement” amounted to nothing more than “writing a name on a piece of paper,” and that McDermott even “wrote seven or eight names.”

Maybe Terry was telling the truth all along, and the talking heads made up their own version of the story: McDermott is the overlord of the Buffalo Bills and Beane is his handpicked head scout. McDermott and Beane have both denied this, and have insisted it's a partnership and collaboration and they won't agree about everything, but they are definitely aligned. At the same time they haven't wasted their time continuously refuting a narrative that the media might or might not have made up.

I always thought it would make sense that McDermott would suggest people who he trusted, respected, and knew he could work with. And the Pegulas, having seen what happened with Whaley/Ryan, would obviously want the GM and HC to work together, with a unified vision.

And thanks, Yolo, for the link. Great conversation and insight.

Edited by technobot

Just now, technobot said:

Maybe Terry was telling the truth all along, and the talking heads made up their own version of the story: McDermott is the overlord of the Buffalo Bills and Beane is his handpicked head scout. McDermott and Beane have both denied this, and have insisted it's a partnership and collaboration and they won't agree about everything, but they are definitely aligned. At the same time they haven't wasted their time continuously refuting a narrative that the media might or might not have made up.

It's been clear for some time that Beane is in no way McDermott's lapdog, but a force in his own right - working closely with McDermott to build a team, but not in lockstep

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's been clear for some time that Beane is in no way McDermott's lapdog, but a force in his own right - working closely with McDermott to build a team, but not in lockstep

Agree. They even joked about it, that they've got their own ideas. When asked what happens when they disagree, McDermott mentioned settling it on the wrestling mat.

Edited by technobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

i wish Eric and Chris Brown did OBL show.

17 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

I get nervous about the Pegula's and how messed up the Sabres are.. just thank God they keep them separate , at least mindset and operationally .. 

Not sure why the Sabres can't get good. They might be close with Ralph Kruger, but JBotts is likely out the door in April.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The question is whether they'll stick together if they have success.  Beane might want another challenge.

The size of the checks the Pegulas are willing to write to each may have something to do with it.  

Ironically, in real life Wood isn't the aw shucks regular guy that the persona he cultivates on air would lead you to believe he is.   Two times since his retirement I've seen him before games at the stadium, have been within feet of him in fact, and when I said hello he didn't acknowledge me in the least.  That seems very rare for Buffalo sports personalities.