Christian McCaffrey pondered as possibly being available?!?!?!

What would you do for Christian McCaffrey?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What would you give up for CMC?

• Nothing, I don't want the greatest player in the league on my team and to become a dynasty
    • Two 1st rounders
    • Two 1st rounders plus a 2nd
    • This years entire draft
    • Two 1sts and two 2nds
    • I would trade anything in the world to have CMC on my team and win multiole Super Bowls

"

23 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

My dream could finally become a reality!!! Add in coach Kuechles and we are cooking up some succulent Super Bowl dreams!

"coach Keuchles"?

multihole SB??

Sherlock is daydreaming.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

If the Panthers are doing a full scale rebuild then they have to strongly consider trading McCaffery. If the Panthers are doing a Dolphins/Browns style tear it down to the bone rebuild then you are not going to be competitive the next 2 years at least and by then McCaffery will be on his 5th year option and due for an extension. You would be wasting two years of McCaffery's prime and essentially the rest of the his rookie deal in a rebuilding wasteland. You also run the risk of destroying him as an asset since you will be running him behind a lackluster supporting cast thus risking injury and other issues a bit more than normal. 

I think if you can get 2 first round picks and other picks/assets for him you have to at least strongly consider if a haul of picks (a 1stand 3rdin 2020 and a 1stplus late round pick in 2021 at a minimum) is on the table. But unless you are getting a package centered around 2 first round picks and another 3rdrounder then you can’t trade him. You have a RB who even after a 2 year rebuild will still be 26 and presumably have another 3-4 high end elite years in his prime left for a team that is better suited to contend. He still can fit a timetable of a rebuild so there isn’t an onus to trade him. 

I am curious to see what team will put together that package for a RB even one as elite as CMC who is locked into a rookie deal with 2 more years left. Kansas City would be an interesting team as they could try and package picks 32 and 63 in 2020 and their 1stand 3rdin 2021 if they want to add another elite and affordable weapon to that already stacked offense. But given that KC’s picks won’t be as highly valued as other picks, and while I think KC would easily be willing to give up 32 and 63 along with their 1stin 2021 along with at least one other premium pick in 2021 or 2022 I don’t think they are willing to put in 3 first rounders and other picks to put a package over the top. 

I don’t see another team that makes sense. Las Vegas would have made sense had they not had a rookie RB with a 5thyear option ready to roll, Minnesota, NOLA and Green Bay have quality young RB’s. I could see Miami making a play if they were a bit closer as they could easily offer picks 18, 26, 110ish (their early 4thround pick) in 2020 and their 2021 3rdround pick. But I think they want to build for another year before making a move to help them take that next step. Maybe Seattle could put together a package of picks 26, 59, 64 and a 2ndand 4thin 2021. But I think Seattle would rather just spend those picks building their roster and roll with Carson. So I don’t see a trade coming together. 

I think Buffalo needs to jump all over this. If he landed on the Fish I think this board knows the meltdown they would be in for... If he is traded and we didn't execute I would just be devestated 

23 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Thinking about this, CMC is valuable and I believe Carolina will need some help on defense; I propose giving Carolina both Star Lotuleleii-e-i-e-i-o and Trent Murphy in exchange for obtaining CMC.

Maybe my sarcasm meter needs adjusting, but this thread is based on the premise that Carolina would trade him because they're in full rebuild mode. Why would they want 2 players that will be 30 and 31 by the end of next season?

42 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Maybe my sarcasm meter needs adjusting, but this thread is based on the premise that Carolina would trade him because they're in full rebuild mode. Why would they want 2 players that will be 30 and 31 by the end of next season?

It was complete sarcasm.  One would think Marty Hurney is going senile if he considers that trade.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I think Buffalo needs to jump all over this. If he landed on the Fish I think this board knows the meltdown they would be in for... If he is traded and we didn't execute I would just be devestated 

Would you give up two first round picks and other picks to get CMC? Is he 2 first round picks plus other draft capital better than Singletary? I don't think he fits the Bills as good as he is.

I think that even if the Panthers do a full-blown rebuild, the one guy that you keep and build around is CMC. Unless they field offers and do get something ridiculous from, say, Gruden in Vegas like 2 1sts and a 2nd. Anyone would listen to that I suppose. But they already have Jacobs. So no I love the OP’s crush and CMC is awesome. But if I were Ruhle go ahead and trade everyone away EXCEPT McCaffery. Build around that guy.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:52 PM, Rc2catch said:

Silly. People can dream all they want but the NFL is a business. Carolina needs to sell tickets. They lost kuechly and Olsen, two of the faces of the franchise for the last 5+ years. They are possibly bringing Cam back. You don’t trade away the best fantasy football running back in the league when he’s still on his rookie deal. They could entertain it when it comes time to pay him. But not now. 
He’s a great back, top 5 no doubt. But his popularity is more fantasy football than actual football. Carolina isn’t firesaling that team. They have their young core of guys they will add to. They’re cutting defense because they are switching back to a 4-3 and some guys don’t fit. Moore, CMC, Burns are all untouchable. It’s a fun hypothetical but there’s no reality. Carolina doesn’t have an extremely loyal fan base like some teams that will show up regardless, they need CMC to keep fans interested. They need to sell tickets in a down season.

I think ownership wants a tear down and future capital. No way Tepper cares about fantasy football.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Would you give up two first round picks and other picks to get CMC? Is he 2 first round picks plus other draft capital better than Singletary? I don't think he fits the Bills as good as he is.

Absolutely, I would even go as far as 2 1sts and 2 2nds. I think he is the missing piece on offense. I'm not trying to replace Singletary either, I'm talking about lots of 2 RB sets as well as Wildcat as well as Pistol and Wishbone sets.... Plenty of room for both to be on the field most of the time.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:08 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

Why do people start polls with such stupid lopsided choices? What’s the point of starting a thread if you don’t want to provide more realistic choices?  

Honestly might be one of the worst polls I’ve ever seen on here.  

I love CMC, but this poll is so utterly ridiculous to the point you can’t even take this thread seriously.

alpha, i almost always love your football takes, but you gotta have better message board fu than this.

haven't you noticed OPs schtick?

he's frankly outstanding.

• Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, colin said:

alpha, i almost always love your football takes, but you gotta have better message board fu than this.

haven't you noticed OPs schtick?

he's frankly outstanding.

As always there will be tons of hate and misunderstanding but to make a few people laugh, it is worth it!:worthy:

We get it - He's very good.  That said, there's no way you're paying (2) 1sts for a RB.  I get that he's a hybrid, but his usage has been unreal for two seasons straight and history tells us that doesn't last forever.  Capable RBs are a dime a dozen, and the difference between a capable RB (3rd-4th round) and McAffrey isn't worth two potential salary restricted cornerstones.

First off CMC is that good. Those who think Singleterry is on the same level are fooling themselves.  Keep in mind that CMC has stayed HEALTHY through THREE NFL seasons in spite of all his touches.

And while I like Singleterry my knock on him was that he didn't exactly make a lot happen as a pass catching RB.  Think about the 6 yrd gain off an Allen pass against Cleveland late.  Throw that same pass to CMC and you probably can add 10 yards to the total and we win the game.  It was very rare that CMC was tackled by one guy in open space.

Go and watch CMC's highlights and then get back to me about whether Singleterry is even close to his level.  CMC made catches that would impress the best WR's in the game.  

And while this is a classic off season discussion (to much time on our hands) at the Panthers Reddit there are at least THREE different threads talking about Carolina's new ownership maybe letting  CMC go. 

As for what he would be worth to the Bills? I think that bringing in a guy like CMC could put us over the top and into a conference championship and maybe even the SB.  CMC was deadly running the read option with Newton and he would be just as dangerous running it with Allen.  CMC also averaged 5 yards per carry with a lot of that coming between the tackles. 

And I think CMC & Singleterry could be complimentary to each other.  The guy is evidently a gym rat who is likely to stay in prime health for another 3 - 5 years. 

Now do I think Carolina would let him go and we would pick him up? No.  But it's fun speculating and over in Panther country they're terrified at the possibility of losing one of the most exciting players in the NFL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DasNootz said:

We get it - He's very good.  That said, there's no way you're paying (2) 1sts for a RB.  I get that he's a hybrid, but his usage has been unreal for two seasons straight and history tells us that doesn't last forever.  Capable RBs are a dime a dozen, and the difference between a capable RB (3rd-4th round) and McAffrey isn't worth two potential salary restricted cornerstones.

Maybe.  And for sure that's the conventional wisdom in the current NFL.  But what put TN in the conference championship game?  A RB. 

And back in the day RB's could take a game over and will their teams to championships.  The Bills do not go to 4 straight SB's without Thomas. And CMC is on Thurman's level.

And keep in mind that we pick #22 this year and with CMC we would likely be picking AFTER that next year.  So it's not like we're giving away lottery draft picks. 

Again I don't see McBean doing this but God help us if NE or Miami or KC or Pitt or Denver does it.  Because as sure as the sun rises in the east it will make our path to the SB harder.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Maybe.  And for sure that's the conventional wisdom in the current NFL.  But what put TN in the conference championship game?  A RB. 

And back in the day RB's could take a game over and will their teams to championships.  The Bills do not go to 4 straight SB's without Thomas. And CMC is on Thurman's level.

And keep in mind that we pick #22 this year and with CMC we would likely be picking AFTER that next year.  So it's not like we're giving away lottery draft picks. 

Again I don't see McBean doing this but God help us if NE or Miami or KC or Pitt or Denver does it.  Because as sure as the sun rises in the east it will make our path to the SB harder.

Not a receiving back. 

Derrick Henry is literally the polar opposite of CMC. 

I live in Charlotte and love CMC but isn't he proof that RB's don't win you games? He had a historic year and they won 5 games.

38 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Not a receiving back. 

Derrick Henry is literally the polar opposite of CMC. 

I live in Charlotte and love CMC but isn't he proof that RB's don't win you games? He had a historic year and they won 5 games.

But Henry is a RB and he carried his team.  And CMC has proven over the last 2 seasons that he can be an every play, between the tackles RB.  Sure he's not a DH in size but overall he's a better RB IMO. 

Detroit never won a lot of games with Sanders at RB but that doesn't change the fact that if the Lions had traded Sanders away to a playoff level team he would have probably been the reason that team won a SB or two.

I see McCaffrey as a Thurman Thomas type & caliber of RB.  If there was one RB in the NFL I would give up 2 first round picks for it's this guy.  He's a hard worker, "process" type of guy who brings great talent & versatility to the field.  Put him on a team with other offensive talent and like Thurman he can be a dominating player who takes a team to the next level.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

But Henry is a RB and he carried his team.  And CMC has proven over the last 2 seasons that he can be an every play, between the tackles RB.  Sure he's not a DH in size but overall he's a better RB IMO. 

Detroit never won a lot of games with Sanders at RB but that doesn't change the fact that if the Lions had traded Sanders away to a playoff level team he would have probably been the reason that team won a SB or two.

I see McCaffrey as a Thurman Thomas type & caliber of RB.  If there was one RB in the NFL I would give up 2 first round picks for it's this guy.  He's a hard worker, "process" type of guy who brings great talent & versatility to the field.  Put him on a team with other offensive talent and like Thurman he can be a dominating player who takes a team to the next level.

so you compared the ineffectiveness of a historic RB season by comparing it to another historically great RB that won nothing?