Say bye to Shaq?

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I had the same thought. I didn’t really include him in that “keep your own” group lined up for extensions (White, Dawkins, Milano). He’s a guy, like Jordan Phillips, who I think they would like to keep at the right price but won’t bend over backwards and feel they can replace if needed . 

See I kind of feel the opposite. He feels like the exact type of guy that they’d seek out even though they didn’t select him. He’s a smart player. He’s versatile. He’s pretty healthy. Shaq plays with an edge. He’s also improved every year under them. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 4

I'm hoping we ultimately go big fish hunting here, but I think that ultimately will require a trade. If that's unpalatable to Beane, I think there will still be potential upgrades on the market (probably short-term upgrades), but you could make a decent case he might end up being our best option.

15 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'm hoping we ultimately go big fish hunting here, but I think that ultimately will require a trade. If that's unpalatable to Beane, I think there will still be potential upgrades on the market (probably short-term upgrades), but you could make a decent case he might end up being our best option.

Clowney is my top option. I like Addison as well but he’s more of a short-term option. I’m not as much on Ngakoue as much as some. It feels like the price tag doesn’t match the player but that may just be me. I’m not big on the 2 edge options in round 1 either. I’d rather Anae later. Now if a trade for Von Miller or someone like that were an option...

• Like (+1) 1

I like Shaq and would like to keep him.  As someone mentioned above, if you pay him, you know what you're getting.  If you pay the same kind of money to a FA from another team, it may or may not work out.  Lawson was drafted by the franchise (yes, I know it was a prior regime), worked through the difficulties of an injury (and playing for Rex), has improved every year and is a solid contributor to a good defense.  Obviously, you don't pay him $15 M per year and you let him walk if that's what the market commands for his services, but he likely gets, by today's NFL standards, a multi-year deal in the $7-12 M per year range.  Some creative accounting and cap management could allocate that type of money any number of ways to make it mutually beneficial to the player and the team.

35 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Clowney is my top option. I like Addison as well but he’s more of a short-term option. I’m not as much on Ngakoue as much as some. It feels like the price tag doesn’t match the player but that may just be me. I’m not big on the 2 edge options in round 1 either. I’d rather Anae later. Now if a trade for Von Miller or someone like that were an option...

Yep. All of this. If Anae got to us in round two I'd do a jig for joy. 

I'm sure Beane would like to keep him, but that's not going to make it happen.  Beane has a price in mind, that is lower than what Shaq and his agent have in mind.  He'll let Shaq talk with other teams, and somebody will probably be willing to pay him in the range that he's asking.  If by chance he doesn't get an offer in that ball park, he knows he can come back to Beane, and still get a deal that pays him a lot more than he made on his rookie deal.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

See I kind of feel the opposite. He feels like the exact type of guy that they’d seek out even though they didn’t select him. He’s a smart player. He’s versatile. He’s pretty healthy. Shaq plays with an edge. He’s also improved every year under them. 

I think they really want to keep Shaq, but they're not prepared to back up the Brinks truck for him.

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think they really want to keep Shaq, but they're not prepared to back up the Brinks truck for him.

100% agree

I think as these guys come off the board, Ngakoue, Judon, etc.. it makes Shaq more expensive. I think that the Bills definitely add an edge guy in FA. It may be Shaq, Addison, a trade, but they won’t punt on that until the draft.

21 hours ago, Putin said:

Let's not forget that he/Shaq was drafted by the previous regime so I don't think they view him as ( keep your own guys ) 

But I like Shaq a lot and Iwould  love for him to remain a Bill , Phillips on the other hand I could care less let him go get overpaid somewhere else 

GO BILLS !!!

I agree with this.  I'd love Shaq back, but if he's gone, I hope Yannik threatens to hold out in Jax (if he is actually tagged) and we get him.  

On 3/2/2020 at 7:39 PM, BillsMafi$ said:

1840AD26-2B2E-43D7-9E4B-A3D392E0E7CE.jpeg

Well that about says it all from what that says it doesn't look as if he is or would even consider a contract offer from Beane & company until he can see who the highest bidder will be !!

It's all about the MONEY !!               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyzDpX4r5ZQ

2 hours ago, T master said:

Well that about says it all from what that says it doesn't look as if he is or would even consider a contract offer from Beane & company until he can see who the highest bidder will be !!

It's all about the MONEY !!               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyzDpX4r5ZQ

That's reading into his comment a little too much, I think.

2 hours ago, T master said:

I usually use an Art Vandalay style “T Square” to draw those kind of conclusions...