Say bye to Shaq?

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Maybe?  I guess I never expected Buffalo to give him what he would get on the FA market.  He had a great season and has developed nicely, but I think some team will give him a silly deal.

He has developed very slowly....not nicely.   He isn't playing like a Rnd 1 until year 4......and still behaving like a kid on the field.  Let him walk!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It concerns me cause the money can dry up fast.

No matter how much the league is making, there is still a salary cap.

In the end I could be way over-paranoyed, but the big money is still a concern.

This is 100% correct. But nothing to be afraid of. 
Look at New Orleans. They pay Brees huge money and field a competitive team year in and year out. They work the cap to the max almost every season. They draft well (which is the biggest key) 

Dont stress the money, gm’s are paid big bucks to manage that cap and teams do not have to survive by adding big money free agents. Pay your own, draft well, make cuts when needed. Also need solid coaching to continue to get these young guys ready to contribute. 
New Orleans is a good model to use for managing and manipulating the salary cap yet competing every year 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s about what I think he’s going to get. He feels like about a $10M a year guy. 

After the Jags placed the franchise tag on Ngakoue, basic supply and demand economics for ascending free agent DEs means good news for Shaq. Some team will pay him WELL above 5/50 and that team will not be the Bills.

2 minutes ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

After the Jags placed the franchise tag on Ngakoue, basic supply and demand economics for ascending free agent DEs means good news for Shaq. Some team will pay him WELL above 5/50 and that team will not be the Bills.

Maybe you’re right and the lack of edge talent in the draft plays into that as well. My question then is “IF the market determines he’s a $13M a year guy, why shouldn’t the Bills be the team to pay that?” They have a need at the position. They have the 3rd most cap space in the league. They have an avenue to cap savings at the position by releasing Murphy if they want. They know Shaq. He’s played well in the system. I just don’t understand why anyone thinks he shouldn’t be in the mix? The Bills should absolutely be in on him. 

Just now, Putin said:

Should have signed him to the 5th year option when we had the chance 

That was an unpopular opinion on here at the time but some of us thought that was the play. It looks like a bargain now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That was an unpopular opinion on here at the time but some of us thought that was the play. It looks like a bargain now.

Meh.It is only 1 year and it's kicking the can down the road, could even be a costlier at that point. If you can upgrade, upgrade; if you can't, resign him - an extra $3M is going to kill us

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Meh.It is only 1 year and it's kicking the can down the road, could even be a costlier at that point. If you can upgrade, upgrade; if you can't, resign him - an extra $3M is going to kill us

No but you’d have raised your floor at a bargain price. You would have had less of a need at edge and you’d have had Shaq for less than he got. You could have still chased other options as well but wouldn’t have the hole that currently exists.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I’ve heard in the past that the agents talk around different teams at the combine, and by the end of it they have a a very good sense of what teams interest levels are and what those teams are willing to pay.

At the DE position, the catch is that so many of the pending FA are discussed as being re-signed or franchised - it’s hard to tell how many players will actually be available.

This thing by Shaq could mean that his agent has told him he has multiple suitors who will out-bid each other and offer him crazy money.  Who knows.

If that’s about what he’s offered, I really think we should try to keep him.

I think I agree... it is always so tenuous, especially if we have a lot of competition replacing him and or JP ?

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No but you’d have raised your floor at a bargain price. You would have had less of a need at edge and you’d have had Shaq for less than he got. You could have still chased other options as well but wouldn’t have the hole that currently exists.

I get that, but all I was saying is that you are getting the hole this year or next year and the decision on what to pay will still need to be made. IIRC his option was $10 million next season and is about what he should see on the open market. Even if he gets to $13M this year and has a equivalent or better year, he is in line for $13M with the annual bump anyways...Not sure that hurts us much at all...

1 hour ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Have the Jags "placed the franchise tag" on Ngakoue?  It's been said they intend to, but these things don't always come to fruition.

In any event, it's not just Ngakoue, it's Armstead, Judon, Clowney, Barrett....and sure, if half the guys who are regarded as "top 10 FA edge rushers" go off the market, it's Payday for Shaq Lawson.

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

You're right! Before last season after turning down his option we could have at least gotten a bags of kicking tees and a case of Gatorade for him.

What flavor/color of Gatorade?