Trai Turner reportedly on the block

2 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Born in Tennessee, and moved to Georgia, where he played High school ball. Clemson is in South Carolina. How is he a local boy?

TN and SC are both pretty close to Charlotte. Probably a stretch, but understandable I suppose. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Trades are like buying a certified pre owned vehicle fresh off a lease from a no-haggle dealership. Someone else has taken the depreciation from the massive initial investment, and you get the highest value years for only a modest price.

Not when you consider the draft capital expended. You have to pay for their contract AND spend your extremely limited draft resources.

Now I can’t buy that they will trade CMC. That would be crazy. 

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Who are we replacing as a starting G - Feliciano or Ford?

I guess we are looking at replacing Spain 

ok I guess we would move Feleciano to LG 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Not when you consider the draft capital expended. You have to pay for their contract AND spend your extremely limited draft resources.

Extremely limited? Buffalo has 9 picks! And in any given draft, you’re hoping that 40% of your picks end up as bona fide NFL players, so what’s the big deal in trading one of those picks?

And the salary is almost always less than what paying the player would be on the open market, and that’s without considering that the majority of guaranteed money has already been paid by the team trading the player away.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Is he better than Spain? 

yes.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Born in Tennessee, and moved to Georgia, where he played High school ball. Clemson is in South Carolina. How is he a local boy?

Clemson is the closest school for the Panthers. I guess "local" was slightly exaggerated 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Trades are like buying a certified pre owned vehicle fresh off a lease from a no-haggle dealership. Someone else has taken the depreciation from the massive initial investment, and you get the highest value years for only a modest price.

Except that you don't know the previous vehicle owner's teenage son was pulling high RPM hole shots with that used vehicle every Saturday night.  You buy a high priced used player and you are buying the wear and tear incurred and the shorter end of the career life cycle.  I'm not enthusiastic about either Glenn or Turner.

37 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Extremely limited? Buffalo has 9 picks! And in any given draft, you’re hoping that 40% of your picks end up as bona fide NFL players, so what’s the big deal in trading one of those picks?

And the salary is almost always less than what paying the player would be on the open market, and that’s without considering that the majority of guaranteed money has already been paid by the team trading the player away.

yes.

Yes. Extremely limited. Only 9 picks. They are far more valuable than you are suggesting, and I think every GM would agree. They are so valuable that you can receive a quality player for just one of them, or trade one of them for a high quality player. But when trading you can't only consider the contract, you have to consider the draft capital you are sacrificing.

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I guess we are looking at replacing Spain 

ok I guess we would move Feleciano to LG 

I would rather have Ford as our G and pay a RT - this seems like a worthless signing/trade

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I would rather have Ford as our G and pay a RT - this seems like a worthless signing/trade

I understand that line of thinking, but I wouldn't call it worthless.

Trai Turner is a 5x Pro Bowler, so inserting him at RG would definitely upgrade the line. Feliciano played fairly well there, sure, but he's not as good as Trai Turner.

Having Turner at RG and Feliciano/Long/Boettger competing at LG allows Ford to stay at tackle for the time being. Hopefully, they'd also draft or sign competition for him at that position. If and when they decide to move Ford to guard, he can compete at left guard, which was his college position. If he's as talented as everyone seems to think, he wins that job and relegates Feliciano to depth at G/C. Feliciano's contract is not untenable, even if he is relegated to backup.

They need to get another tackle to compete with Ford regardless, in my opinion, but I don't see why that should preclude them from adding a top 5 guard.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

Given the Panther connection & the fact that he has been to 5 pro bowls & the Bills need a good guard it might be a really good move for Beane to pick this guy up, not sure what they would have to give for him but at 26 he should have a lot left in the tank !!

57 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It would be crazy, but does it make some sense? If you're going full rebuild and think at least this coming year is a loss, and maybe the next two, would it not be better to get the value out of him now as opposed to having to pay him/not have him when you're finally ready to get there? They rode him like a horse last year. If they do that for two more years and then have to pay him you got a gurley situation right when your window opens. 

Would he get a first round pick right now? 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

It would be crazy, but does it make some sense? If you're going full rebuild and think at least this coming year is a loss, and maybe the next two, would it not be better to get the value out of him now as opposed to having to pay him/not have him when you're finally ready to get there? They rode him like a horse last year. If they do that for two more years and then have to pay him you got a gurley situation right when your window opens. 

Would he get a first round pick right now? 

I think he would because he really plays two positions