Trai Turner reportedly on the block

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yes. Extremely limited. Only 9 picks. They are far more valuable than you are suggesting, and I think every GM would agree. They are so valuable that you can receive a quality player for just one of them, or trade one of them for a high quality player. But when trading you can't only consider the contract, you have to consider the draft capital you are sacrificing.

Nine picks is not limited when you only start with 7.

I’m open to hearing why they’re more valuable than I’ve said (despite the fact that statistically it’s very unlikely for any team to hit on more than 40% of their picks in a given year). You have a much better chance to use, say, a 4th round pick effectively if you trade it for a known commodity.

And no, you don’t have to consider anything other than 1 pick = 1 player whether you trade it or use it to draft a guy.

37 minutes ago, Logic said:

I understand that line of thinking, but I wouldn't call it worthless.

Trai Turner is a 5x Pro Bowler, so inserting him at RG would definitely upgrade the line. Feliciano played fairly well there, sure, but he's not as good as Trai Turner.

Having Turner at RG and Feliciano/Long/Boettger competing at LG allows Ford to stay at tackle for the time being. Hopefully, they'd also draft or sign competition for him at that position. If and when they decide to move Ford to guard, he can compete at left guard, which was his college position. If he's as talented as everyone seems to think, he wins that job and relegates Feliciano to depth at G/C. Feliciano's contract is not untenable, even if he is relegated to backup.

They need to get another tackle to compete with Ford regardless, in my opinion, but I don't see why that should preclude them from adding a top 5 guard.

I understand your thought process as well, Ford is simply not an RT. From a win perspective, how much better is a Dawkins, Turner, Morse, Feliciano/Ford than Dawkins, Feliciano, Morse, Ford? I'm not sure how many more wins that translates to. I feel like this move allows you to move on from Long and you keep Felciciano as depth, but meh. 

It won't screw with the cap that much either. If you want to prioritize needs, RT >>> than any other OL position

It's an upgrade, but meh

Thoughts on scheme fit?  He seems like he’d be best suited a power scheme.  I’d question his ability to pull in our gap scheme and I’d rather not take the chance at his current salary.  Anyone have a more informed opinion?

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Trades are like buying a certified pre owned vehicle fresh off a lease from a no-haggle dealership. Someone else has taken the depreciation from the massive initial investment, and you get the highest value years for only a modest price.

I suppose turner does make some sense.  2 years left at around 10 mill per and he’s played well, but he gave up 6 sacks.  His qb was a bum, so we’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.  I like the fact that he’s a beast run blocker, sign me up for a 5th or 6th hopefully!  

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

turner is so good. wow i cant believe they're trading him

The last two years he has dropped off a bit. I think go back 3 years he was in the top 5 guard conversation. Think the injuries have had an affect. He isn't the same player. He is still a starting level guard but he isn't the borderline elite guy he was. 

Turner has been average at best the last few years, since he got paid. He put on weight and seemed to lose his desire. At that salary and cap hit he's not worth it for the Bills. He could go to the Jets who need veterans to go with their soon to be drafted OL. Makes sense there.

CMC is actually a candidate for a shock trade. The reason is this; the Panthers are in the middle of a purge. They aren't in win now mode and CMC is about to be the highest paid RB on the market.  It makes no sense to do that at a time when the team will be rebuilding. Now if they get a huge pile of trade assets for him that actually makes a ton of sense. He isn't just an RB either as Yolo said. He's an outstanding route runner. 

20 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Turner has been average at best the last few years, since he got paid. He put on weight and seemed to lose his desire. 

If only Ike Turner was still alive to whip this guy back in line...

4 hours ago, DJB said:

Clemson is the closest school for the Panthers. I guess "local" was slightly exaggerated 

It's not the Charlotte Panthers. The motto here is two states one team. Clemson is in South Carolina, a half hour drive from Spartanburg where the Panthers hold their annual training camp. If you want to measure distance to the city where they play well Clemson is marginally closer to Atlanta than Charlotte so I will give you that.

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Wonder what they would want back in compensation. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/trai-turner-14503/

Maybe a couple 3rd will get it done. (don’t want to move 1st or 2nd) 

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Picks for a team that Ruhle is going to do a full rebuild on. 

Poe not having option picked up

Bradburry not getting Tag. 

they are going full rebuild 

Meh, might as well keep that pick to send in our package for McCaffrey

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Nine picks is not limited when you only start with 7.

I’m open to hearing why they’re more valuable than I’ve said (despite the fact that statistically it’s very unlikely for any team to hit on more than 40% of their picks in a given year). You have a much better chance to use, say, a 4th round pick effectively if you trade it for a known commodity.

And no, you don’t have to consider anything other than 1 pick = 1 player whether you trade it or use it to draft a guy.

You cantt trade a 4th round pick for a quality player, only a backup. You'd have to use a much higher pick to get a quality player.

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

You cantt trade a 4th round pick for a quality player, only a backup. You'd have to use a much higher pick to get a quality player.

What? No.

The Cardinals got Kenyan Drake for a 6th

The 49ers got Emmanuel Sanders and a 6th for a 3 and a 4

The Ravens got Marcus Peters for a backup LB and a 6th

The Seahawks got Jadeveon Clowney for 2 backup LBs

The Texans got Carlos Hyde for a backup guard 

The above are just the examples of starters traded for day 3 picks in the 2019 season.

• Like (+1) 1