Updated: Yannick tweets again

35 minutes ago, MJS said:

I wouldn't want the Bills to let a good player go for nothing. If a player wants out, get everything you can for them. But ideally you wouldn't let it go as far as the Jags have. Tagging and trading rarely works, I feel.

Last year seemed to turn the tide though. Worked for KC with Ford and for Houston with Clowney to a lesser extent. 

12 minutes ago, Virgil said:

How many players have demanded to get out of Jacksonville in recent years?  Is this the Marrone effect?

He’s the perfect role model for someone Opting out of a contract...

18 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

i would absolutely take on foles contract for a 2nd rounder.

especially a Jax second rounder. They look on track for the 2021 33rd overall pick at this rate. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

I wonder what this REALLY means? The Jags are like, "Hey, we are gonna **** you over so we can get back more than a 3rd Round Comp pick. You can see where we're coming from, right?"

That sounds exactly like Marrone actually.

45 minutes ago, hjnick said:

They still got that crap over there!  That is crazy.  Do the Duke/Lord/Royal just pocket the money or does it go to the gov't???

These are the questions we really need @GunnerBill to chime in on.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, hjnick said:

They still got that crap over there!  That is crazy.  Do the Duke/Lord/Royal just pocket the money or does it go to the gov't???

No they pocket the money. 

19 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

No they pocket the money. 

This is nuts. So people build a house on land they don’t own? Theoretically, couldn’t the land holder just exponentially increase the rent every year? What is someone going to do, move their house?

50 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Well, of course you would. I would expect any of us  fans to do the same. It isn’t our money. The real question is, would the business of the Buffalo Bills make that financial decision. 

6 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

This is nuts. So people build a house on land they don’t own? Theoretically, couldn’t the land holder just exponentially increase the rent every year? What is someone going to do, move their house?

They also build residential and commercial properties in the US on land acquired via land lease. Very long leases, often 50-100 years. With commercial properties they figure the improvements are fully depreciated by the time the land lease expires. I noticed they do entire subdivisions a lot in Mississippi and Alabama on public lands. Strange, I know!  

If you have 45 years left on the lease, people don’t worry about it as much, but the value generally declines as the expiration of the lease gets closer. 

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Since Hapless shutdown the other thread - new news

As much as I would love to see a guy like Ngakoue in Buffalo I'm never in favor of trading for a top tier guy like this...You have to give up too much...Picks and $$$...One or the other is fine...Both is too much...It's different if that's all the Bills are away from competing with KC...But we all know that is not the case...

It would be a pass for me unless you can steal the guy...And that's not going to happen...?

Edited by KOKBILLS

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

The main reason Jacksonville cant afford Ngakoue is the money tied up in Bortles and Foles. I have also been thinking the past week about possibly taking on Foles' contract and being able to sign Ngakoue long term at  20 mill per year. To take on Foles' contract, Jacksonville might even give us an extra 4th rounder in addition to trading the rights to Ngakoue. We have a healthy cap situation and need to spend money. So why not take on Foles and offload him to someone else for draft comp when their starting QB is hurt? Foles has been a backup before (To Minshew of all people) and is not really a locker room threat to Josh Allen who is the unquestioned starter. So I dont anticipate locker room issues. This way we preserve our draft picks and still get Ngakoue.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Here's the problem with the proposed scenario:

-Foles current cap hit whilst on the Jags roster is $21.8M, which is $15.125M fully guaranteed salary and $6.25M amortized signing bonus

-If the Jags trade him, they pass off the $15.125M salary - but the next two years of his signing bonus accelerate and the Jags cap hit becomes $18.75M

So this maneuver only saves them $3.6M cap, then they have to back-fill backup QB.

I don't see what the Jags motivation would be to give up a 2nd round draft pick and their backup QB, for $3.6M cap

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

This is an interesting situation because it could, potentially, really shine a light on the misuse of the franchise tag. I don’t remember many situations where guys have straight up said “I don’t want to be here, and I’m not signing” only to have the team slap the tag on them anyways. The tag was meant to be a bridge to a long term deal, but that’s clearly not the case here. 

I seem to remember reading that the new CBA includes changes to the tagging system to make it more player friendly. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

-Foles current cap hit whilst on the Jags roster is $21.8M, which is $15.125M fully guaranteed salary and $6.25M amortized signing bonus

-If the Jags trade him, they pass off the $15.125M salary - but the next two years of his signing bonus accelerate and the Jags cap hit becomes $18.75M

So this maneuver only saves them $3.6M cap, then they have to back-fill backup QB.

I don't see what the Jags motivation would be to give up a 2nd round draft pick and their backup QB, for $3.6M cap

well that would mean we essentially buy the second round pick taking on the 15 million salary. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

this year...next year they are free of it all, which makes it much more palatable 

28 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

well that would mean we essentially buy the second round pick taking on the 15 million salary. 

time to dig another well...

52 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

As much as I would love to see a guy like Ngakoue in Buffalo I'm never in favor of trading for a top tier guy like this...You have to give up too much...Picks and $$$...One or the other is fine...Both is too much...It's different if that's all the Bills are away from competing with KC...But we all know that is not the case...

It would be a pass for me unless you can steal the guy...And that's not going to happen...?

I agree.

It's one thing to pay a guy or ro trade for a good contract.

To give up a high pick and pay top money is what bad organizations do.

• Like (+1) 1

They're just trying to move Nick Foles. I don't see a team biting. The Bills could possibly do it. Here's a question, would you take on Nick Foles $22 million next year if Jacksonville traded us Yannick and a 2nd round pick? The Bills could handle the cap hit. Foles contract has an out next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

These are the questions we really need @GunnerBill to chime in on.

So we do have a thing called "leasehold" and a lot of flats in London - including my own - are owned on that basis. I have a mortgage but technically it is only mine for another 74 years and once it gets below 70 it is harder to sell. But you don't pay the royals you pay whoever owns the land. Normally a property development company.  

But it is a minority of properties overall. The majority are freehold and you own the land. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That analysis is not complete, no? The main problem is the 15+ million salary for this year. If they do not trade him, they are on the hook for 22.125 mill cap hit this year AND the deadcap for next year - which will be 12.5 mill (total of 34.625 mill). If they trade him, they have a total cap hit of 18.75 mill - so cap savings over 2 years is nearly 16 mill (not to mention the associated cash savings), no?

Maybe you think that their cap situation will be easy enough in 2021 to not worry about the cap hit at that time -in which case you do have a point.

2 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Well, of course you would. I would expect any of us  fans to do the same. It isn’t our money. The real question is, would the business of the Buffalo Bills make that financial decision. 

I believe it is a fixed amount, it is an odd system, comes from the old days of who owned the land many hundreds of years ago some Dukes  family was gifted a huge chunk of land by whoever the king was at the time of the current Royal house hold, ( the Queen of England’s family ) and it stays in that family’s ownership forever it would appear. I don’t know all the specifics obviously, but unlike Here, the land has been owned by the upper classes since forever...

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They're just trying to move Nick Foles. I don't see a team biting. The Bills could possibly do it. Here's a question, would you take on Nick Foles $22 million next year if Jacksonville traded us Yannick and a 2nd round pick? The Bills could handle the cap hit. Foles contract has an out next year. 

So you are getting a competent backup QB that has proven he can win big games if needed, Yannick AND a 2nd in exchange for what? Nothing? And I can get out from under the rest of Foles deal with no penalty after this season? Why exactly would someone not do that?