Redskins and Tua at pick 2 - Smokescreen or real?

21 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Medical came back fine i believe.  Not sure on the odds of recurrence - i remember reading Pitta dislocated his hip a few times and it basically ended a promising career. He also has missed time with high ankle sprains that he had surgically repaired so... There's definitely a checkered injury history there. 

He’s had two tightrope procedures - one on each ankle. It is worth noting that those aren’t required surgeries, they were done to get him back on the field more quickly, I look at them as elective 

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Unless they are in position to draft Lawrence or Fields next year and they also go on to be elite? And then they have elite rusher and elite QB in consecutive drafts...

And also an emergency QB I mean ...

l

• Like (+1) 1

If I was running the team, I would absolutely draft Tua.

Quarterback is THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN FOOTBALL.

Does anyone here really mean to tell me that they'd rather have Dwayne Haskins than Tua?!

Furthermore, this is likely Ron Rivera's LAST head coaching opportunity in the NFL. Why not draft a near sure thing at QB to ensure that the tenure is a success?

Besides, while Chase Young is an elite pass rusher, it isn't like their cupboard at defensive line is barren. They have Montez Sweat, Johnathan Allen, and Daron Payne. They can also take another high quality edge rusher with the 34th pick if they so choose.

All of that being said....it wouldn't surprise me one bit of defensive minded Ron Rivera took Chase Young or traded down for more picks to speed up the rebuilding process. I don't think it's wise, though. If you don't already have a franchise QB and someone you believe to be one is there at your pick, you take him. Haskins has done nothing in college or the pros to make anyone think that he's good enough to justify passing on a talent like Tua.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

If I was running the team, I would absolutely draft Tua.

Quarterback is THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN FOOTBALL.

Does anyone here really mean to tell me that they'd rather have Dwayne Haskins than Tua?!

Furthermore, this is likely Ron Rivera's LAST head coaching opportunity in the NFL. Why not draft a near sure thing at QB to ensure that the tenure is a success?

Besides, while Chase Young is an elite pass rusher, it isn't like their cupboard at defensive line is barren. They have Montez Sweat, Johnathan Allen, and Daron Payne. They can also take another high quality edge rusher with the 34th pick if they so choose.

All of that being said....it wouldn't surprise me one bit of defensive minded Ron Rivera took Chase Young or traded down for more picks to speed up the rebuilding process. I don't think it's wise, though. If you don't already have a franchise QB and someone you believe to be one is there at your pick, you take him. Haskins has done nothing in college or the pros to make anyone think that he's good enough to justify passing on a talent like Tua.

No but if Haskins is Haskins of 2019 in 2020 they can pick Young and still get a shot at Lawrence or possibly Fields. That might be playing in to the thinking. I would not be stunned if they took Tua. If they don't and Haskins stinks they have to stick with his stinking and not be tempted to bench him for a vet. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No but if Haskins is Haskins of 2019 in 2020 they can pick Young and still get a shot at Lawrence or possibly Fields. That might be playing in to the thinking. I would not be stunned if they took Tua. If they don't and Haskins stinks they have to stick with his stinking and not be tempted to bench him for a vet. 

You are spot on but coaches can't help themselves.  Flores should not played Fitz but felt he would lose the locker room if he played the worse player. 

I don't see any chance that the Redskins will draft Tua, they already have Haskins and they should take the time to develop him, i think that he has potential.

If they don't draft Chase, it would be so much stupid imo... they have the chance to build a scary dline !

On 3/3/2020 at 4:55 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Good point H2o.

My post did omit the fact that imo, Tua will be a far better QB than Dwayne. Again, imo he could make Snyder millions upon millions of dollars.

You’re using logic and reason, but forget this is Dan Snyder we are talking about. 

This is Dan Synder, I sincerely doubt he admits he was wrong one year removed from drafting Haskins.

Moreover, this is very different than the Cards, who brought in a specific coach, knowing full well Rosen wasnt going to fit his offense. The wheels were in motion once they hired Kingsbury to find a QB more suited for his offense. Insert Murray.

I know Norv Turner's son Scott is now the OC in Wash, I dont really see him having the type of offense that absolutely has to have one type of passer over the other.

Washington would honestly be best suited getting a kings ransom for the pick from the Dolphins and only drop back a couple of spots. They are likely to still get one of Simmons, Brown, or one of the top OTs.

Both.  I think for the right price they trade down.  I also think discussions about Haskins are real.  Tua is a better Qb than Haskins.  Rivera would want a leader on offense and that is Tua not Haskins.

I have to doubt that Ron Rivera would have committed to Haskins in agreeing to take the Redskins job.  My guess is that he told Danny that he'll give Haskins a chance to compete for the job, but he will not commit to Haskins.  Therefore, I believe the Redskins will take a QB with their first pick and I doubt there is much Miami will be able to do about it since Cincy will not trade down as they also need a QB.