Jerry Sullivan joins Channel 4

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Channel 4 has a website with a sports section?

LOL!    Sully's clicks might be even less than they were at the Niagara Gazette...

Seriously.  Who knew? 

Now, he's going to be even more of a troll, trying to drum up clicks for this thing.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

his role

”will pursue unmistakably original local stories and provide a unique perspective.“

it sounds like a Job that needs a little optimism....   this won’t work out well. 

I suspect he’s already got his stories in the can. Each tailored for any possible wind direction. 

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, boater said:

What will be used to force WIVB to part ways from Sully?

WIVB might be advised to have him fulfill the ‘Don Polec-Kevin O’Neill’ sort of role.  Bungee jumping off the Statler, shoveling llama dung at the Buffalo Zoo.  Then when it’s really nasty, wet, and windy, send him to do a live remote from Hoak’s out on Route 5 in Hamburg.  He’ll soon reconsider his career choice.

39 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If he stays away from the Bills and Sabres it could work.  I always liked some of his stuff on golf and other topics.  But his negative bias against the pro sports teams reaches the level of absurdity.

He can critique the media buffet in the pressbox.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boater said:

A printing contract was used as leverage to force the News to part with SullyA.

What will be used to force WIVB to part ways from Sully?

Even one of the guys who was claiming "FOUL!" when Sully left TBN (Fredonia Journalism Prof Elmer Ploetz) had to walk it back shortly thereafter:

In the previous column about the News, I brought up the possibility of outside pressure having an effect on the sports decisions. 

Sources from inside the paper have told me that isn’t the case; the News had the printing contract for Sabres programs and lost it (and the hundreds of thousands of dollars of income it brought each year) in the past few years. That isn’t expected to be coming back.

One source tells me the printing contract was lost in 2013-2014

Sully was told he was losing his column (and took a package) in Spring 2018

You do da math

But I think it might be time to put this apparently-wrong info to bed

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Even one of the guys who was claiming "FOUL!" when Sully left TBN (Fredonia Journalism Prof Elmer Ploetz) had to walk it back shortly thereafter:

In the previous column about the News, I brought up the possibility of outside pressure having an effect on the sports decisions. 

Sources from inside the paper have told me that isn’t the case; the News had the printing contract for Sabres programs and lost it (and the hundreds of thousands of dollars of income it brought each year) in the past few years. That isn’t expected to be coming back.

You do da math

Ok, but only after Jerry is put to bed.

WIVB are trying to boost their online presence.  It sounds like Sully will be working mostly for the website.  Instead of writing his column in the paper, he’ll write exclusive stories for WIVB.com

and maybe appear on the occasional program.  It also doesn’t sound Iike he’ll be covering the Bills as a beat reporter, so sadly, we won’t hear his questions during the press scrum most weeks!

I don’t mind Sully so I do think overall this is a good move.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My source tells me (and I'm willing to be corrected), The Buffalo News still prints the game day Bills programs.

As if... TBN fired Jerry to keep the printing contract.

You do da math.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You do da math

Elmer Ploetz - he wrote the music columns for the Bona Venture - the weekly newspaper, when I was a freshman.  You don't forget a name like that - it's almost like it was made for a music critic, like Lester Bangs.