Tee Higgins was tired so he chose not to participate

5 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

You’re talking my language there. 
Not flashy but that’s an interesting fit into this defense. If we’re talking BPA at 22 that might be a huge homerun. 
They can work him into this defense for sure. Hyde has previous experience covering the slot so they can run the 3 safeties in packages. 

It’s a luxury pick but depending on our free agency if they sign some edge players and receivers I would love to snag Delpit 

i watched a bunch of LSU games and Delpit was a playmaker.

LSU draft

1. Delpit

2. Chaisson

3. Edwards Helaire ?? 

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

But how often does this happen where it’s not pre-announced?   I get that some players do their own private workouts instead of the the combine, but this comes off very different to me.  

Well it happened a lot this year. A lot of the LSU guys didn't run as well. 

I get it this board has decided they hate Higgins and this is an opportunity to pile on him. 

13 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

No thanks. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer safeties that aren't terrible tacklers.

Yea if people want to call Tee Higgins soft they cannot, in the same breath, tell me they love Grant Delpit. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

You would think the guy snatched an old lady's purse.

Answer me this.   If you were interviewing a kid about to graduate from the Harvard or Wharton MBA program for a management trainee job and he said, "sorry I'm late, I had to grab some lunch because I missed breakfast" or "I had to call another recruiter back about a text they just sent me," would you still consider hiring them?

Football temperament and squad personality are intangible, yet important things.  You hear McBeane talk about them all the time.

“We’ve got a tremendous culture and a tremendous locker room. It’s really about a transformational type of culture and locker room as opposed to transactional."

"McDermott has been preaching a team-first culture since he arrived in 2017. After three seasons, he now has a handful of players who have both embraced that message and produced in a big way on the field in helping the Bills earn two playoff berths in three years."

The combine is an interview process, both in terms of gauging the players' personalities AND their ability to perform in a competitive setting.   Kids who don't rise to the challenge -- when so many others do -- are a big red flag for me.   And I suspect a lot of other NFL personnel would think like this as well... 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

He only had 4-5 weeks to prepare......for a workout??   :blink:

Both sides of the argument have made valid points in these three pages.  However, the first thing that struck me was if 4 to 5 weeks wasn’t enough time to rest, how’s he going to feel on a Sunday night after trading shots with a DB – and there’s a 1:00 game next Sunday?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Both sides of the argument have made valid points in these three pages.  However, the first thing that struck me was if 4 to 5 weeks wasn’t enough time to rest, how’s he going to feel on a Sunday night after trading shots with a DB – and there’s a 1:00 game next Sunday?

This.

27 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Or next Thursday

The problem for Higgins is that his decision and how he worded it adds fuel to the fire that he is 'soft' when this was already being mentioned by other posters and pundits.

It raises questions it both his physical and mental preparation, especially in comparision to his peers. He could have done 2 or 3 of the exercises I am sure.

Woe me, I had the national championship game to prepare for whilst other guys were preparing for the combine at home/gym, how unfortunate am I?

This will be a red flag for him and it'll put further pressure for him to have a really good pro day or private workout.

I give Shenault credit for giving it a go, attempting to run the 40 even though he may not have been 100%, shows his willingness to gut it out even though things may not go well.

Draft analysts and scouts must now wait until March 12 -- the date of Clemson's Pro Day to evaluate Higgins further. 

Tee Higgins*, WR, Clemson      from walterfootball
Height: 6-4. Weight: 200.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Projected Round (2020): 1-2.

Higgins runs well enough to get late first-round consideration and should go in the second round if he isn't a first-round pick.

Clemson has a lot of receivers to split up targets, so that could reduce the stat line he records in 2019.

Edited by ALF

16 minutes ago, McBean said:

Tee Higgins is the only guy we could draft and I’d punch my TV.

See this is bizarre to me. I don't love the idea of him at #22.... but there is an absolute bucket load of guys I'd much rather have Tee Higgins than - including many of the more "popular" names on this forum.

There were 10 WR's at the combine that didn't run and plenty of players at numerous positions across the board who skipped some or even all of the drills. Why are we singling out Tee Higgins for doing the same? They all have agents and a bevy of advisors working with them to develop the best plan for them to get drafted as high as possible. Obviously, many of them are following that advice. So by all means, let's come down on a college kid following the expert, highly paid advice he is getting. 

If you don't like Higgins' play on the field, fine, drop him from your board but reaching a conclusion on a meaningless answer? Weird. 

Advisor: Tee, after analyzing all the data we think its best that you wait until your pro day like dozens of other prospects are doing.

Tee: Ummm, okay, what do I say when they ask why?

Advisor: Just tell 'em you're tired.

Tee: Okay.

Twitterheads: Higgins is soft!!!!

Edited by Mickey

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

See this is bizarre to me. I don't love the idea of him at #22.... but there is an absolute bucket load of guys I'd much rather have Tee Higgins than - including many of the more "popular" names on this forum.

The narrative on Higgins is getting absurd. I promise the league isn’t buying it 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The narrative on Higgins is getting absurd. I promise the league isn’t buying it 

Agree 100%. You read this board you would think he would be lucky to go before day 3. I still say after the big 3 he is the wide receiver I am the next most comfortable with. There is a big gap between those 3 and Higgins on my board. He is the top of the 2nd group rather than hanging onto the coat tails of the first. But I would still be surprised if he lasts beyond day 1 and shocked if he gets close to the Bills round 2 pick.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree 100%. You read this board you would think he would be lucky to go before day 3. I still say after the big 3 he is the wide receiver I am the next most comfortable with. There is a big gap between those 3 and Higgins on my board. He is the top of the 2nd group rather than hanging onto the coat tails of the first. But I would still be surprised if he lasts beyond day 1 and shocked if he gets close to the Bills round 2 pick.

Any other year I think “ that guys a 1st round pick” - my prediction  this year is he ends up going in the 2nd and it’s not because of his talent level as much as it is the WR group as a whole and then the OTs and EDGE guys that i think could push a guy like him out of the 1st because teams are going to panic since those groups aren’t deep. 

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Answer me this.   If you were interviewing a kid about to graduate from the Harvard or Wharton MBA program for a management trainee job and he said, "sorry I'm late, I had to grab some lunch because I missed breakfast" or "I had to call another recruiter back about a text they just sent me," would you still consider hiring them?

Football temperament and squad personality are intangible, yet important things.  You hear McBeane talk about them all the time.

“We’ve got a tremendous culture and a tremendous locker room. It’s really about a transformational type of culture and locker room as opposed to transactional."

"McDermott has been preaching a team-first culture since he arrived in 2017. After three seasons, he now has a handful of players who have both embraced that message and produced in a big way on the field in helping the Bills earn two playoff berths in three years."

The combine is an interview process, both in terms of gauging the players' personalities AND their ability to perform in a competitive setting.   Kids who don't rise to the challenge -- when so many others do -- are a big red flag for me.   And I suspect a lot of other NFL personnel would think like this as well... 

Answer me this, how on earth do you consider your hypothetical to be analogous to Tee Higgins doing what dozens of prospects are doing? Was Higgins late to his meetings? Did he short change teams he met with because of a late breakfast? It is not at all unusual for players to decide that they have a better chance to post solid drill numbers at their pro day but to go the combine any way for the sake of the meetings. You might not like that and if you want to scratch ALL of the prospects who did so off your list, fine, you do you. But to single Higgins out with this kind of nonsense just tells me you really don't like this particular prospect and are going to reach for any negative nugget of info you can find and then blow it all out of proportion. 

If you don't think he can separate, make contested catches, etc, then that is all the reason you need to want to pass on him. No need for all this kvetching. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, White Linen said:

He said "he had a long season and only had 4-5 weeks to prepare for this compared to the other guys who had two months or a month."

Ya gotta assume he isn’t this unaware all the time... maybe...in the end likely not a big deal, 

Edited by Don Otreply