Possibility of trading up to #16 (Atlanta)

On 2/29/2020 at 9:34 PM, Dkollidas said:

Looking in a basic way, Atlanta is hard up against the cap and doesn’t have a ton of leeway. Cutting guys like Freeman, Allen Bailey, Ty Sambrailo and a couple others only gets them to about $21M in cap space.

They currently have an extra 2nd round pick and dealt away their 6th round pick. But with only $20M or so to play with, and a roster in need of improvements, I’d expect them to be looking to move down and add depth pieces throughout the roster. 

Buffalo will want to add an edge, receiver, Corner, or offensive lineman in round 1. I believe the need and preference will be geared towards receiver or edge. Looking at the first round, in the top 15 picks I expect the following to be chosen.

For sure:

3 QB’s (Burrow, Tua & Herbert)

2 WR’s (Lamb & Jeudy)

3 OT’s (3 of Wirfs, Wills, Becton, Thomas)

1 Edge (Young)

1 DT Brown

1 LB Simmons

1 Corner (Okudah) 

That’s 12 players. 

We also have another group of possibilities that will come after that including:

1 WR (Ruggs III)

1 OT (Whichever of the 3 is not taken top 12)

2 Edge (Chaisson Epenesa) 

2 Corners (Fulton & Henderson)

So overall there’s a drop of talent around 16-18. I believe Beane will want to get there because (1) he has extra capital, (2) there’s players at need positions there, (3) he knows he needs to add key fixtures to edge and receiver and that they are value positions that should be drafted highly, and (4) he’s shown a history for trading up.

Lastly, the cost shouldn’t be significant. 
Pittsburgh in 2019 trade #20 #52 and a 2020 3rd round pick to move up to #10.

I believe we could send picks #22, 86, and 118 in order to move up to #16. 

That would still leave us with our 2nd round pick #54, two 5th’s and three 6th’s. 

I want offense, offense and again offense to be our main priority this offseason , I know we need to be better rushing the passer but that drop ( by Duke ) in the end zone before the half still bothers me , I want a receiver who makes that catch .... 

Go Bills !!!!

The Jags pick at #9 is in play, which is about where Lamb and Jeudy are projected to go...

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20200304/jaguars-not-ruling-out-possibility-of-trading-up-or-back-in-next-monthrsquos-draft

Asked last week at the NFL Scouting Combine if having two first-round picks gives him desired flexibility to consider trade possibilities, Caldwell said it does.

“You know you have the one at 20 sitting there,″ Caldwell said, “if you want to move back from nine and pick up some picks later. Right now, we have [10] picks, and we’ll see what we have come draft day.″

As of now, I think 16 is still too low to trade up to if the Bills are fixated on getting one of the top three WR’s.

Indy at 13 is a prime candidate to trade up to if they wanna get one of the big three.

Even if the Bills lose a 2nd round pick in the trade, they will still have 7 picks to fill some back up holes, barring no further action.

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good post and Atlanta is the key spot I’ve been looking at as a trade up position too.  I don’t think all the guys you listed as “for sure” going top 15 are really locks for that.  For example, I’m not sold that both Lamb and Juedy go top 15, it’s not even a lock they are the first two WRs taken either as Ruggs has a case to be in that convo.  

But the main issue with you post is the guys they would likely trade up for at 16 you have off the board already.  I don’t think they trade up unless they can get one of these guys:  Juedy, Lamb, Simmons or Chaisson.  Maybe Ruggs, but I’m skeptical they trade up for WR that’s small.  No doubt they would consider Ruggs and even likely take him at 22, but not sure in a deep WR class like this they trade up for a WR under 6 feet tall given current make up of the team.  Main reason is they would still need to probably draft a big target for Josh, so trading more of those draft assists to get a shorter WR would affect their ability to do that and still fill other holes.  

I do think that it’s quite possible one of Juedy or Lamb could fall to 16, especially if there is a run on QBs and if Ruggs if one of the first 2 WRs taken.  Simmons is not going to fall that far, but Chaisson could again if there is a run on QBs and a couple WRs go in top 15.

I think Ruggs is absolutely worth trading up for. If they do, they do need to bring in a big as well. I'm hoping, though I don't know if one could plausibly do so, to nab one of the top three and Claypool. Few folks on here, Gunner is one of them I think, compare Claypool to Jimmy Graham.