What Cooking Shows Do You Watch?

RaoulDuke79

1 minute ago, Augie said:

There is a website you can join to get access to all their recipes and equipment reviews. Anytime access and you can search by show or food group such as seafood, poultry, etc. You can watch the show or just get the recipes. I print my favorites and keep them in a binder. 

I see, had no idea. Do love my PBS tho!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, T&C said:

I see, had no idea. Do love my PBS tho!

I think they mention it at the end of each episode. The recipes print out as the apparently related Cook’s Country, which is often on PBS before or after ATK. 

The other one I love is Rick Steves. Travel is the thing I most want to do, and least want to pay for. Long story, but our travel was stunted for many years.  That’s not restricted now, so it’s time to make up for those lost years!  The older I get, the more I will forget the cost and enjoy seeing the country and the world. That’s the plan anyway..... 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think they mention it at the end of each episode. The recipes print out as the apparently related Cook’s Country, which is often on PBS before or after ATK. 

The other one I love is Rick Steves. Travel is the thing I most want to do, and least want to pay for. Long story, but our travel was stunted for many years.  That’s not restricted now, so it’s time to make up for those lost years!  The older I get, the more I will forget the cost and enjoy seeing the country and the world. That’s the plan anyway..... 

I like that show quite a bit too. Somehow we have 6 PBS stations down here and the variety is excellent. Some new show on right now called Milk Street... not bad at all. 

Same here with the travelling. I'm getting close to retirement and would love nothing more than to tour the USA in a small to medium sized RV... the big ones are nice for sure but are cumbersome imo. Plus they can really suck up some fuel. 

Weird bucket list item for me, and although I have been there before, is to cook breakfast on the rim of the Grand Canyon at sunrise. Bacon, eggs, potatoes, toast... the whole 9 yards. Have wanted to do this for 30 years at least.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

I like that show quite a bit too. Somehow we have 6 PBS stations down here and the variety is excellent. Some new show on right now called Milk Street... not bad at all. 

Same here with the travelling. I'm getting close to retirement and would love nothing more than to tour the USA in a small to medium sized RV... the big ones are nice for sure but are cumbersome imo. Plus they can really suck up some fuel. 

Weird bucket list item for me, and although I have been there before, is to cook breakfast on the rim of the Grand Canyon at sunrise. Bacon, eggs, potatoes, toast... the whole 9 yards. Have wanted to do this for 30 years at least.

My tax returns say I’m “retired”, but my wife still works....hard. But she loves it, and she’s good at it, so I hope that continues. (For multiple reasons! :)

My sister (8 years older) is a retired teacher. After her retirement she flew with her husband from Providence to Wisconsin where the other sister lives. After a nice stay they rented a small RV and went west to the Pacific, then south. Took quite a while, but it was her thing to do upon retirement. Had a GREAT time! Travels with Charlie on a smaller scale. 

A few years ago my wife had work in Vegas, so we went early and stayed with some old friends. First time seeing it from a local standpoint, looking AT the strip from their house, not ON the strip. Anyway, they had a surprise “treat” and we took a helicopter into the Grand Canyon, landed for a picnic, etc. It was AMAZING! You don’t realize how huge it is until the pilot says “see that crack in the wall? We’re going to fly into it!” When you get there you realize the little crack is the size of a dozen football fields! We didn’t have the heart to tell them we had done the same thing about a decade earlier. It was a little like the surprise party you know is coming......  

I hope you get your Canyon side breakfast! You will LOVE it! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Chef's Table is a must.  If you haven't checked it out (Netflicks, I believe) please do.

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Thanks for the recommendation. Just watched the first episode.  Very good.

Ok.....into the 2nd episode now. Seems like "the meal" isn't the primary focus of this show. Its more a glimpse into a diverse group of individuals and how they found their place through cooking. 

21 hours ago, Augie said:

Is Giada cooking? I think you may be right, but I never really noticed! It was more.....never mind....

I used to be big into Chopped, but that has waned a bit. My favorite at the moment is probably Beat Bobby Flay. It’s not cooking with candy canes and cows tongue. Guy’s Grocery Games is too game show for me, personally. I don’t like anything with baking. I’m not a dessert guy. I don’t watch the kids shows as they may be cute, but they are either ignorant or they would show me up..... either way a loss for me. 

I like America’s Test Kitchen and actually signed up for their site where you can look up recipes, equipments reviews, etc. Cheap and easy, and I print out my favorites. 

I like things I can learn from, which I think is my primary goal. 

Oh, Ree Drummond has given me a couple recipes that have gone over very well with guests! 

Of course, nothing beats the folks from TBD who share awesome stuff! 

Same as Augie. Been relatively into Beat Bobby Flay (even though I don’t care for him usually).  

Surprisingly, while her show is okay, Trisha yearwood has some really good and easy recipes that I have tried. 

I Also will watch “the next food network star” and “top chef” every year. 

I've seen Bobby Flay's name here a few times but does anyone remember when he started out... the show was "Grilling and Chilling"... him with some guy who wore overalls, looked like they were backed up to a giant retention pond or a man made lake. And yes, this was on PBS lol. Might have been Grillin' and Chillin'... not sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Ok.....into the 2nd episode now. Seems like "the meal" isn't the primary focus of this show. Its more a glimpse into a diverse group of individuals and how they found their place through cooking. 

True.

But...find one or two you like and search for their recipes.  Everything is online now.

Edited by Cripple Creek

22 hours ago, Nervous Guy said:

I don't like Chris Kimball...in fact I'd like to punch him in the face.

His vocals when enjoying a bite of whatever dish was made are just to cringe-inducing for me. I feel like I need to take a shower after listening to that. There’s a certain undeserved smarminess to him as well.

Otherwise, like others, I kinda center around the PBS stuff, probably most because I cut the cable cord a long time ago. ATK/CC are really focused on the food & prep aspect. There are a number that follow a chef and tell their story along with their dishes: I liked Bourdain’s exec-produced “Mind of a Chef” that ran on PBS and is on Netflix. Have watched “A Chef’s Life” a few times over (I think it’s the best of what television can be, story-telling & cinematography-wise) and Vivian Howard is continuing that theme but less her-family-based with a new primetime PBS slot late this month with “Somewhere South.”

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Although BBQing isn’t cooking ...

How to BBQ Right (Malcolm Reed) on YouTube is my go to guy for grilling. 
He crushes it. 

BBQing isn't grilling, either.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bakin said:

Although BBQing isn’t cooking ...

How to BBQ Right (Malcolm Reed) on YouTube is my go to guy for grilling. 
He crushes it. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

BBQing isn't grilling, either.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Both are cooking though. Can we get some clarity on this. Panel?

DifferentBrokenAsianporcupine-small.gif

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/29/2020 at 5:07 PM, GoBills808 said:

Nailed It 

Love this show as well as Worst Cooks in America because clearly stated buffoonery is more fun than actual cooking. The wife and I also occasionally watch a kids show and Great Food Truck Race. Yet in my younger days did like Alton Brown's Good Eats and Top Chef.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/29/2020 at 9:38 AM, Gugny said:

Man Fire Food

Man v. Food

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

Burgers, Brews and 'Que

Carnival Eats

Don't think I ever watched Man v. food, but all the others were on my list (Saw a couple Man Fire Food and thought it was ok). There was a Canadian show that was the same as Triple D hosted by a comedian called 'You gotta eat here', I had even eaten at a few of the places he visited. I own a couple of the receipe books from that show and Triple D too but I don't get to use them often because I would just be making it for myself since my wife is 'Keto' and my kids won't touch anything new or different....

I liked having the Food Network here but when we switched providers we had to give it up to keep other stations.

19 hours ago, T&C said:

Both are cooking though. Can we get some clarity on this. Panel?

What's the definition of Cooking? Isn't it preparing food for consumption? BBQing/Grilling is a method of preparing food for consumption so I say yes it is cooking