Can the Bills land a good Edge in FA?

13 hours ago, MJS said:

Nope. Only in the draft.

I agree, ‘Nope’, but trade is also a venue. Don’t care for any FA & we Will Draft a couple prospects, but this is the offseason Brandon stuns us all and trades for a DE/Edge under contract to plug & play. He’s traded name players FROM us but not acquired a great pro yet via trade. To me, it would complete his dossier. 

Hey! I can dream.?‍♂️

Guessing they stay true to form and IF they go edge in FA they go with a guy a lot will say isnt that good but they think can be good in a ROTATIONAL role. maybe someone like Alexander was the year he came over...older guy that can still get to the ball but they may feel he can still be effective in a rotational role so he doesnt have to be out there as long..I would be surprised if they spent bigger $$ there.

I think Beane will probably heavily consider trading for Ngakoue. If he ultimately decides the price is too high, bringing Shaq back probably makes sense, though I would personally be looking to bring in more of a short-term solution like Adrian Clayborn instead.

I think the Bill's walk away in free agency with one of Mario Addison ( McDermott connection) or Everson Griffen (L Frazier connection)

Both guys aren't tier one pass rushing FA but tier 2 guys. 

It makes too much sense to not happen 

• Like (+1) 1

I absolutely think we get a serviceable EDGE in FA. Beane will likely add a DE, LB, CB, RT, WR in free agency so come the draft we can go BPA. In his short time here I feel he’s always done just that. If we go into the draft with little to no needs that opens you up to BPA which turns into star power. All our need areas will be systematically filled and the best player will be taken. Beane’s strategy since he got here.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm actually kind of holding out hope they can find a way to pry Yannick from the Jags. I know it's super unlikely, and between the picks/contract it could get pricey, but man we need some juice off the edge.

It honestly looks like a lot of the guys are going to get tagged, so I have been looking a lot into the Gross-Matos and Bauns of the draft.

Judon the latest to seemingly be getting tagged.

Edited by BillsFan17

I think they will sign  Mario Addison if they let Shaq walk. I think they are likely to keep Murphy as a 3rd DE (although I think he is far too overpaid for a more marginal player but they seem to have signed him because they like him) and then draft a DE in round 2. They will keep Johnson as a guy to help push Murphy in camp as I think they would be willing to cut Murphy if he gets outplayed by a younger player. 

If they resign Shaq I think they spend a pick in round 1 or 2 on the edge to set the position up longer term. Overall it is hard to say exactly how they will address the DE position but I don't think they go with one of the top tier DE's like Yannick or Clowney at 15-20 million aav. I think they are more likely to add a significant piece at DE but I think it will at best be resigning Shaq and adding a high pick vs. signing a big time free agent. 

Personally I would love to see them go after Yannick as their one big piece in the off-season but I think a more prudent approach is more up the team's alley. 

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think they will sign  Mario Addison if they let Shaq walk. I think they are likely to keep Murphy as a 3rd DE (although I think he is far too overpaid for a more marginal player but they seem to have signed him because they like him) and then draft a DE in round 2. They will keep Johnson as a guy to help push Murphy in camp as I think they would be willing to cut Murphy if he gets outplayed by a younger player. 

If they resign Shaq I think they spend a pick in round 1 or 2 on the edge to set the position up longer term. Overall it is hard to say exactly how they will address the DE position but I don't think they go with one of the top tier DE's like Yannick or Clowney at 15-20 million aav. I think they are more likely to add a significant piece at DE but I think it will at best be resigning Shaq and adding a high pick vs. signing a big time free agent. 

Personally I would love to see them go after Yannick as their one big piece in the off-season but I think a more prudent approach is more up the team's alley. 

I’ve been consistent that I think Addison is in play for Buffalo. Very productive, scheme fit, familiarity with the coach, etc. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I’ve been consistent that I think Addison is in play for Buffalo. Very productive, scheme fit, familiarity with the coach, etc. 

My take on the DE position is that they will keep Shaq or sign a second tier DE like Addison and then draft a DE in round 1 or 2 to secure the position long term. It fits more in line with their approach they took last off-season but then again maybe they go with a big splash trying to win in Josh's rookie deal? But I think they more or less try and approach the off-season similar to last off-season. They will sing one upper tier FA in the 10-12 aav range, and then 2 starting caliber free agents in the 7-9 million aav range and then 3-4 quality depth signings in the range of 3-5 million. 

I wouldn't hate a more prudent approach but I think you can't be too conservative since nothing is promised in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

My take on the DE position is that they will keep Shaq or sign a second tier DE like Addison and then draft a DE in round 1 or 2 to secure the position long term. It fits more in line with their approach they took last off-season but then again maybe they go with a big splash trying to win in Josh's rookie deal? But I think they more or less try and approach the off-season similar to last off-season. They will sing one upper tier FA in the 10-12 aav range, and then 2 starting caliber free agents in the 7-9 million aav range and then 3-4 quality depth signings in the range of 3-5 million. 

I wouldn't hate a more prudent approach but I think you can't be too conservative since nothing is promised in the NFL. 

I don’t see Addison as a 2nd tier FA—he actually has more sacks than Ngakoue over the last 4 years.

I also think they’ll go for 2 big time signings/acquisitions (EDGE and WR1).

It'll be interesting for sure

• Thank you (+1) 1