XFL Week 4 Game Threads

PromoTheRobot

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Then it's like the same kind of roster turnover that happens in college. I don't think that's good for a professional league. It would only work if they were a minor league partnering with the NFL.

Getting college talent, even some HS talent is what they should try to do, which the AAF didn't seem to have any intention of doing. 

Houston should crush them. I don't see it being much of a "rivalry" in the near future.

They say that's a ball Landry "knows he can't throw" but I don't think he does. That's what I never liked about Landry since his college days. He didn't seem coachable, never improved.

This is just going to be very hard to do.  The league plays past the combine and past the major part of FA.  So these guys will have little chance to get drafted if they come straight out of HS.  

Worse yet - the timing of the league means most FAs will already be signed and the teams are focused on the upcoming draft - any guys that actually make a roster are just fill ins.

The AAFL at least by folding early got several players signed before the big FA push.  I think the XFL will get a few  guys signed, but considering their pay scale is less than the PS and the fact that viewership is dropping badly week over week and next week starts March madness which will kill the viewership.  I just do not see the XFL surviving.

The only way a spring league is going to have sustained success is partnering with the NFL/NFLPA and getting these young PS players and true back-up level QBs into the game - guys that will have a legitimate place on NFL rosters and name recognition.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Philo said:

Am I crazy for thinking Ta'amu wouldn't be a bad option to come in and compete with Barkley for backup QB? I like Barkley, but he is certainly upgradeable.

I believe there are a handful of (somewhat talented) guys in the XFL now that were suspended from the college program but still not NFL eligible.

So let’s say the 10 best players move up to the NFL.  That’s a nightmare scenario for the XFL, who’s teams have no national/natural following. If anyone is tuning in, it’s to see a couple of their best players tear it up on the rest of the scrubs.

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It's gonna suck to lose guys like Ta'amu to the NFL.

He's gonna go to the big league, but he's gonna be a back-up. Then St Louis becomes a much less interesting team. It's a lose-lose for everyone, but Ta'amu.

Like @simpleman said, the XFL needs to pay up. Fans need to keep watching, too. We can't complain that they're not able pay for stars and then not watch. They need the fan following in order to grow and be able to give those pay-days.

Absolutely, I enjoy the league, and don’t want to be a downer. Unfortunately, the future seems clear to me. They aren’t going to pay up, and the league will just continue down the path of irrelevance before dissolving. We’ve seen this movie play out before. I have no idea what’s supposed to be different about the XFL. 

Edited by SirAndrew

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Absolutely, I enjoy the league, and don’t want to be a downer. Unfortunately, the future seems clear to me. They aren’t going to pay up, and the league will just continue down the path of irrelevance before dissolving. We’ve seen this movie play out before. I have no idea what’s supposed to be different about the XFL. 

Yeah, I see it happening too. Just doesn't seem sustainable, except for a couple teams like San Antonio in the AAF and St Louis here, who actually seem to have gotten good fan-following.

I find this very easy to watch, if you love football. And no other football is happening right now. I'm interested in the NFL combine, but I don't want to sit and watch it. Boring. I can get all their combine stats later...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

St Louis has great attentance because they are eager of a pro team.

In my opinion the league had to invest on markets like that, or San Antonio, and other "big" markets without a pro football team.

On the other hand, those current NFL cities also have a proven interest. Overall, game attendance looks better than what the AAF had. San Antonio and Orlando seem like good expansion options if the league is successful enough.

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

On the other hand, those current NFL cities also have a proven interest. Overall, game attendance looks better than what the AAF had. San Antonio and Orlando seem like good expansion options if the league is successful enough.

Here's an article addressing that. Problem is TV dictates being in NY and LA.

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/oliver-luck-so-far-so-good-in-xfl-but-la-and-new-york-crowds-need-to-improve/

Edited by PromoTheRobot

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Vince McMahon said he was ready to bankroll the XFL for three years.  Will he? We'll see. In the meantime, crack a beer and enjoy.

I’m enjoying watching, but that will be interesting to see. It’s easy to make a statement like that, but it takes on another meaning when you sit down and actually look at the numbers. No one wants to lose money. 

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm curious what the TV ratings have been

Declining each week.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barryhorn/2020/02/26/xfl-tv-ratings-are-headed-in-the-wrong-direction-for-a-league-that-wants-to-hang-around/

Edited by PromoTheRobot

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Here's an article addressing that. Problem is TV dictates being in NY and LA.

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/oliver-luck-so-far-so-good-in-xfl-but-la-and-new-york-crowds-need-to-improve/

Ah, that too....

PJ Walker with a Josh Allen-esque run. He needed to get his team fired up. The game got into a lull....