XFL Week 4 Game Threads

PromoTheRobot

The XFL has shown that NFL caliber RBs are a dime a dozen... QBs are not.  They also need to pipe in some crowd noise for the TV audience.  I know they're not playing in front of large crowds, but it's eery hearing how silent the crowd noise is on the TV broadcast.

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think it's too soon to declare the XFL dead. McMahon knew what he was getting into and said he was ready to carry the league for 3 years. 

So far everything is going as expected. Big interest/viewership early, dropping off week by week. Attendance has been decent outside of LA and NY. The key now is where do things level off and do they bounce back some by the end? Unlike the AAF, which was undercapitalized from the start and went in with fingers crossed, I'm convinced we'll at least see a full season from the XFL.

Its funded for 3 seasons.  You’re going to get at least 3 seasons.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

The XFL TV deal with ESPN/ABC and FOX is pretty much equivalent to a one-year "show me," deal.  If the XFL can sustain a full season, then they can (hopefully for them) strike a real/lucrative TV deal with a network or two.

Personally, I've only watched one game and was not impressed.  But I do hope the league succeeds and will likely give it another shot.

No, all sports rights deals start this way and it’s going to be 3 years before the XFL sees TV revenue which is why McMahon personally funded the league to last 3 years so he can hopefully get to the lucrative TV revenue after that.  It’s not a one year prove it deal.  It’s a standard deal that all leagues faced when first starting like MLS, MLR, WNBA, etc.

XFL will be around at least 3 years.  If by that time there is not enough interest to get to the point where they are monetizing their broadcasts, then it’s going on to be up to McMahon if he wants to risk more money or find outside money to keep it going.

• Like (+1) 1

I like having the XFL as an alternative to NCAA hoops, spring training, and the crappy Sabres.  The players are out there giving it their all and hitting the crap out of each other.  I don't/won't plan my day around it but I'll flip it on for a bit if I'm home with nothing else going on.

In a way.. It's kind of like MLS soccer.  You know it exists, you pass by it on tv ,,,but the only people who really care about the teams are the hardcore locals in each city.  

The XFL is doing a decent job of fielding football in the spring. But their biggest issue is QB play, they have a couple of decent QB’s but they lack the QB play needed to field consistent quality football. If I were Vince McMahon and the XFL brass I would desperately try and invest some money into signing better QB’s. I think they have to consider handing out multi-million dollar contracts to QB’s to help the quality of play in their league in year 2 and 3. 

The quality of play has to improve if they want the league to go beyond the 3 seasons they have funded. I would seriously consider going out there and investing 20 million into finding some QB’s on 2 year deals. Backup QB’s typically make 2-5 million in the NFL, I think you could go out there and get 4-5 solid QB’s to join what they have now I think the quality of play will easily improve to the point where you could hook the hardcore football fan and then build upon them long term. I think you could attract a better backup QB on a 2 year fully guaranteed deal in a salary competitive with what they would have gotten in the NFL and actually get a chance to play (and play less games.)

I also think some big name QB’s who flamed out from the NFL even if a bit gimmicky would also be a good move. Tossing some money at Tim Tebow, Johnny Manziel, and some other former big name college QB’s definitely would draw attention (Maybe not Tebow and Manzil specifically but someone with a big college brand) and getting some mid-level or better backup QB’s like Colt McCoy, RGIII, and Tyrod Taylor could help the overall QB play of the league get to a point where it is more than passable. 

I think a 20 million dollar investment in the QB position would be enough where you could punch up the quality of play at the position to the point where you could field consistent football of high quality. I would hope then if they make a good investment in the QB position and as the league grows to profitability they can then open up some more competitive contracts to other aspects of the roster like maybe 2-3 additional players making low 7 figure contracts. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its funded for 3 seasons.  You’re going to get at least 3 seasons.

No, all sports rights deals start this way and it’s going to be 3 years before the XFL sees TV revenue which is why McMahon personally funded the league to last 3 years so he can hopefully get to the lucrative TV revenue after that.  It’s not a one year prove it deal.  It’s a standard deal that all leagues faced when first starting like MLS, MLR, WNBA, etc.

XFL will be around at least 3 years.  If by that time there is not enough interest to get to the point where they are monetizing their broadcasts, then it’s going on to be up to McMahon if he wants to risk more money or find outside money to keep it going.

Unless it isn't.

If it spirals down after 1 season and has dismal viewer numbers halfway through next season, he will cut his losses and close shop because there will be no big network money coming.  Revenues are down from his other business.  Why would he burn more money if it's hopeless?

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Unless it isn't.

If it spirals down after 1 season and has dismal viewer numbers halfway through next season, he will cut his losses and close shop because there will be no big network money coming.  Revenues are down from his other business.  Why would he burn more money if it's hopeless?

He already put the money in.  He doesn’t have to come up with money again, it’s funded for 3 years. It will be here at least 3 years without him having to write another check unless he wants to.

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

The XFL TV deal with ESPN/ABC and FOX is pretty much equivalent to a one-year "show me," deal.  If the XFL can sustain a full season, then they can (hopefully for them) strike a real/lucrative TV deal with a network or two.

Personally, I've only watched one game and was not impressed.  But I do hope the league succeeds and will likely give it another shot.

I have seen 4 complete games s of yet. 1 was a dud and I think it was the same as you watched. Cant remember what game off the top of my head but it wsnt good. Other 3 kept me watching. More so to see who may be availiable after the season is over for a camp body/future star or somewhere in between. I have said for years they need to have a league that if the Bills draft or have a contract with someone but feel they need to develope theysend them to this league. Like the practice squad they have first rights to them but if someone snatches them they get compensation. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He already put the money in.  He doesn’t have to come up with money again, it’s funded for 3 years. It will be here at least 3 years without him having to write another check unless he wants to.

Put the money in where?  He wrote full 3 year checks to every player, employee, vender, venue owner, insurance premium....?

I don' think so.  I see nothing about that, other than he fronted 100 million by selling WWE stock and expects to have costs of 350-500 million over 5 years.

gotta link?

2 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

I have seen 4 complete games s of yet. 1 was a dud and I think it was the same as you watched. Cant remember what game off the top of my head but it wsnt good. Other 3 kept me watching. More so to see who may be availiable after the season is over for a camp body/future star or somewhere in between. I have said for years they need to have a league that if the Bills draft or have a contract with someone but feel they need to develope theysend them to this league. Like the practice squad they have first rights to them but if someone snatches them they get compensation. 

The CFL exists...

9 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

But CFL is different in so many ways. 1, all contracts last a year. 2. 3 downs. 4. Slower game.

It can serve the same purpose as a “developmental league” if the NFL wanted one. But they don’t 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The XFL is doing a decent job of fielding football in the spring. But their biggest issue is QB play, they have a couple of decent QB’s but they lack the QB play needed to field consistent quality football. If I were Vince McMahon and the XFL brass I would desperately try and invest some money into signing better QB’s. I think they have to consider handing out multi-million dollar contracts to QB’s to help the quality of play in their league in year 2 and 3. 

The quality of play has to improve if they want the league to go beyond the 3 seasons they have funded. I would seriously consider going out there and investing 20 million into finding some QB’s on 2 year deals. Backup QB’s typically make 2-5 million in the NFL, I think you could go out there and get 4-5 solid QB’s to join what they have now I think the quality of play will easily improve to the point where you could hook the hardcore football fan and then build upon them long term. I think you could attract a better backup QB on a 2 year fully guaranteed deal in a salary competitive with what they would have gotten in the NFL and actually get a chance to play (and play less games.)

I also think some big name QB’s who flamed out from the NFL even if a bit gimmicky would also be a good move. Tossing some money at Tim Tebow, Johnny Manziel, and some other former big name college QB’s definitely would draw attention (Maybe not Tebow and Manzil specifically but someone with a big college brand) and getting some mid-level or better backup QB’s like Colt McCoy, RGIII, and Tyrod Taylor could help the overall QB play of the league get to a point where it is more than passable. 

I think a 20 million dollar investment in the QB position would be enough where you could punch up the quality of play at the position to the point where you could field consistent football of high quality. I would hope then if they make a good investment in the QB position and as the league grows to profitability they can then open up some more competitive contracts to other aspects of the roster like maybe 2-3 additional players making low 7 figure contracts. 

I agree, it is all about the QBs.  You gotta spend the money where it counts. For Pro Football Fans, it is now all about the excitement of the passing game, love it or hate, that is the reality.

12 minutes ago, simpleman said:

I agree, it is all about the QBs.  You gotta spend the money where it counts. For Pro Football Fans, it is now all about the excitement of the passing game, love it or hate, that is the reality.

I don't think it's a money issue. There aren't enough quality QBs for the NFL, much less the XFL. That's why a development league is so important.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think it's a money issue. There aren't enough quality QBs for the NFL, much less the XFL. That's why a development league is so important.

Even if the XFL got a few higher quality backup QB's and former big names from college who might have flamed out a bit in the NFL that would dramatically improve the quality of QB play in the XFL and improve the drawing power of the league with more casual football fans.

Right now they have marginal QB's trying to hold onto a pro-career and it is dragging down the quality of the play in the league tremendously. A 20-40 million dollar investment into signing QB's to 2 year deals would be the best investment they could make in terms of improving the quality of play. They don't need "starting caliber" NFL QB's but QB's that could play even at a backup NFL level would significantly improve the quality of play in the league. 

Overall though I agree that the XFL surviving as a developmental league is positive for the pro-level of football. It would be great for NFL teams to be given the ability to take a late round QB and send them to the XFL for a season. I think an NFL XFL partnership/agreement would do wonders to improving the quality of football for both levels. Although I think the XFL will have a hard time attracting college eligible players I think they are best off trying to find better QB's in the short term

14 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

XFL has better ratings than the Combine also. 

Way to go, Buffalo. We love our hockey and football. Wasn't even that good a TV game. BTW what happened to DC?

Edited by PromoTheRobot