XFL Week 4 Game Threads

PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

He reminds me so much of Tyrod. Throws almost exactly like him

I mean just more aggressive, but that may be the coaching/system. It was always a question on TBD if Tyrod was being held back from being more aggressive.

18 minutes ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

Not in a good way, a team dominates but scores 3 field goals, the other ties with one score...

Not fair

They didn't capitalize on those turnovers. On the flip side they can increase their lead the same amount if they score and make the conversion. Same difference. Seems fair to me.

The XFL is in a tough situation. Becoming effectively a Spring (lower, training) League for the NFL with their cooperation and support is one way to get better talent cheaply, and may allow them to survive longer. But no one, (McMahon) will ever get rich doing it. There is no big money in doing it.

Could it position him to someday get a profitable NFL franchise as “quid pro quo”, maybe.

College Football is doing that at no cost to the NFL owners now. The NFL encourages College Ball and creates draft rules that favor College playing policies in return.

Joining with the NFL to get players means the concept of the XFL competing for players from college ball, like skipping college ball and getting paid earlier, is off the table. The NFL has a mutually beneficial relationship with college ball, risking it is too much of a gamble for the NFL to be a party to.

There is a reason new leagues fail. The NFL owners believe the NFL/ College Ball agreement works well for them. They don't feel a need for a training league that is a cost and bother to them. Any league that bothers College Ball bothers them too by upsetting the currently profitable  status quo.

Edited by simpleman

13 minutes ago, simpleman said:

The XFL is in a tough situation. Becoming effectively a Spring (lower, training) League for the NFL with their cooperation and support is one way to get better talent cheaply, and may allow them to survive longer. But no one, (McMahon) will ever get rich doing it. There is no big money in doing it.

Could it position him to someday get a profitable NFL franchise as “quid pro quo”, maybe.

College Football is doing that at no cost to the NFL owners now. The NFL encourages College Ball and creates draft rules that favor College playing policies in return.

Joining with the NFL to get players means the concept of the XFL competing for players from college ball, like skipping college ball and getting paid earlier, is off the table. The NFL has a mutually beneficial relationship with college ball, risking it is too much of a gamble for the NFL to be a party to.

There is a reason new leagues fail. The NFL owners believe the NFL/ College Ball agreement works well for them. They don't feel a need for a training league that is a cost and bother to them. Any league that bothers College Ball bothers them too by upsetting the currently profitable  status quo.

I think it's too soon to declare the XFL dead. McMahon knew what he was getting into and said he was ready to carry the league for 3 years. 

So far everything is going as expected. Big interest/viewership early, dropping off week by week. Attendance has been decent outside of LA and NY. The key now is where do things level off and do they bounce back some by the end? Unlike the AAF, which was undercapitalized from the start and went in with fingers crossed, I'm convinced we'll at least see a full season from the XFL.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

47 minutes ago, simpleman said:

34 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think it's too soon to declare the XFL dead. McMahon knew what he was getting into and said he was ready to carry the league for 3 years. 

So far everything is going as expected. Big interest/viewership early, dropping off week by week. Attendance has been decent outside of LA and NY. The key now is where do things level off and do they bounce back some by the end? Unlike the AAF, which was undercapitalized from the start and went in with fingers crossed, I'm convinced we'll at least see a full season from the XFL.

The XFL TV deal with ESPN/ABC and FOX is pretty much equivalent to a one-year "show me," deal.  If the XFL can sustain a full season, then they can (hopefully for them) strike a real/lucrative TV deal with a network or two.

Personally, I've only watched one game and was not impressed.  But I do hope the league succeeds and will likely give it another shot.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

The XFL TV deal with ESPN/ABC and FOX is pretty much equivalent to a one-year "show me," deal.  If the XFL can sustain a full season, then they can (hopefully for them) strike a real/lucrative TV deal with a network or two.

Personally, I've only watched one game and was not impressed.  But I do hope the league succeeds and will likely give it another shot.

So you won't meet me at the Meadowlands for a game? :cry:

Edited by PromoTheRobot