How do Bills' past moves foretell the WR pick?

GG

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Think of it this way...

On Buffalo’s offense, who do you look at and say “boy, if I don’t commit a significant portion of my game plan to stopping [       ], he’s going to kill me”?

The only answer is Allen.

Good offenses have multiple guys that you say that about.

The Bills don’t need a size guy, speed guy, etc; they need multiple players that opponents have to make specific, concerted efforts to stop every time they’re in the field.

Yes they need the best guy. Bills fans are obsessed with a bigger receiver. But just get the best guy out there. 

• Like (+1) 2

I still believe a TE that can be a consistent outlet is a huge need and unless Knox learns to catch it's still a huge need.

The other problem is rookie WRs are not known to blow the doors off. It can and does happen but they need adjustment periods. I still think we get an Aghalor to go with our new WR we grab.

And just as I write this I can just FEEL the satanic urge at 1BD to pick a CB in the 1st.

Edited by BigBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Nope. I promise that teams think about stopping him.

Because when they don’t, things happen like what happened against Richard Sherman in the Super Bowl.

Just like they think about stopping every offensive player. He doesn't need special preparation or focus. He's an average WR.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Just like they think about stopping every offensive player. He doesn't need special preparation or focus. He's an average WR.

An average WR that lead the best offense in football in receiving yards in the playoffs?

An average WR that managed over 1,000 yards on less than 100 targets with Tyrod Taylor at QB?

He may not be worth his $21M cap hit, but an average WR3 he’s not.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

An average WR that lead the best offense in football in receiving yards in the playoffs?

An average WR that managed over 1,000 yards on less than 100 targets with Tyrod Taylor at QB?

Yes and yes. He's a disappointment to what everyone thought he could be. He put up a good 9 game stretch with the Bills and has been nothing but average since. Not a #1 caliber. He's a good #2 WR, though.

6 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

I just hope they choose a WR early b.c i don't trust them to get a guy they think light be good. I want one where all the people look at it and go "If he isn't good then I won't blame the GM"

No third round WRs....

But they did such a great job addressing the position in the 2018 draft using a 6th (McCloud) and a 7th (Proehl)

I think it is pretty simple, really.  When the McBeane regime took over, they perceived that the Bills had a serious lack of talent at the WR position (among other areas).  The first year was a year for cleaning house and finding guys who might be a short term solution.  They had limited success.  They also had an untenable QB situation.  Tyrod was a nice guy and a team player, but had an unacceptably low ceiling for a long term starter.  They drafted Josh Allen to be a long term starter 2 years ago, but since he was unusually raw, they hoped to have him understudy an experienced starter.  We all know that didn't work out either.  They were still trying to upgrade multiple areas of the team last off season, and chose not to spend any high draft picks on a WR.  They signed as free agents some guys they thought could get open - John Brown deep and Cole Beasley in the slot.  John Brown is fast, and Cole Beasley is a savvy route runner who gains separation by the ability to make precise cuts and accelerate out of his break.  He's not very fast at all.  I don't think Beane is locked in to any one type of receiver.  I think he knows that Josh Allen is not likely to be a QB who can be depended on for precise ball placement or timing any time soon.  His priority is likely to be receivers who are good at creating separation, and have outstanding catch ability (few drops).  He'll also take a receiver who is good at winning 50/50 balls.  If Ruggs were to drop to #22, at 6 foot tall, I don't think Beane would have any problem picking him.  Not only is he the fastest receiver in the draft, he also is a solid route runner and rarely drops a ball.  On the other hand, I could see him drafting Claypool or any one of a number of big receivers in the draft.  I know Claypool has the double advantage of being fast and big too, and he's not even the only guy like that.   The only kind of receiver I don't see Beane targeting, unless he plans on acquiring more than one receiver who will make the 53 man roster, is a smurf like KJ Hamler.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes they need the best guy. Bills fans are obsessed with a bigger receiver. But just get the best guy out there. 

Buddy Nix, Whaley & Russty - big guy who's open even when he's covered - that has permeated this board along with the never trade up for WR because of Watkins - which is an entirely different case.

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Stop killing the narrative LOL. He is treated/villified like the Aaron Maybin of WRs on this board

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

I still believe TE that can be a consistent outlet is a huge need and unless Knox learns to catch it's still a huge need.

The other problem is rookie WRs are not known to blow the doors off. It can and does happen but they need adjustment periods. I still think we get an Aghalor to go with our new WR we grab.

And just as I write this I can just FEEL the satanic urge at 1BD to pick a CB in the 1st.

We haven't agreed on much as of yet but you're 100% "Right On" with most of this.

If 1BD picks a DB in the 1st .....{shudder} all I can say is that their actions are not consistent with their words.......

I agree that we need a sure-handed consistent TE and that Knox, while promising, has to Prove It.  I would love us to go after Hooper, but after McDermott's little praise-fest about how deep we are at TE, I'm not holding my breath.

I don't see us making a push for Agholor.  He's only 27 and he's going to want the Big Bucks.  He's a good receiver, but I don't think his catch % shows him worth the $$ he's going to demand (if we could get him on a prove-it deal, OK...but those drops!!!).  I believe Beane when he says we don't expect to be players in the "deep end" of the FA pool.

I'm hoping we bring in a vet WR and another good pass catching TE but I believe it will be a Beasley or a Kroft type guy, someone who is flying a bit "under the radar" at present - a Phillip Dorsett or a Breshad Perriman type - Tajae Sharpe maybe?  His overall year wasn't good, but he showed better after Tannehill took over.  I think he came out with a rep for sharp routes and good hands.  He's at best 3rd on the WR depth chart in Tenn now, and they just signed Adam Humphries for 4 years last season.

I think that's the Beane strategy for FA value, look for a guy who has flashed but not quite lived up to potential, who is buried on the depth chart and might "rise and shine". 

And that's OK, but if he's sincere about wanting explosive offensive playmakers, he by-damn isn't likely to draft them by taking a CB in the 1st.

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

We can look at Carolina’s previous WR’s too. Funchess etc. Those boys like big WR’s.

I hope Beane has looked at Carolina's previous WR like Benjamin and Funchess and said "well, they didn't grow into who we hoped they'd be, maybe we should look for different qualities"

• Like (+1) 1

Juwan Johnson is a huge WR that graded well at the combine. Most sites had him as a Day 3 pick but who knows where he goes now. Could be that red zone threat that we direly need, maybe he’s there’s RDS 4-5. I think our first pick ultimately goes towards WR but I think we add more than one in the draft. I also like KJ Hill, he’s projected to go RDS 2-4.

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Above size and the ability to run a fast 40, which don't get me wrong are both nice, I echo anyone who has said it is all about the separation.

My wife said something similar to me. It was hard to decipher at first, but I'm getting it now that I read this but it was more about drinking a 40 but other than that very close.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so if, IF McBeane does go WR in the 1st, should we expect the "WTF A WR (Sammy time) In The 1st Gang" to resurface?....OR...has McBeane earned his stripes knowing what the hell he is doing versus his predecessors??.....stay tuned............

I'd like to LOL and thumbs up that post!

15 hours ago, MJS said:

Yes and yes. He's a disappointment to what everyone thought he could be. He put up a good 9 game stretch with the Bills and has been nothing but average since. Not a #1 caliber. He's a good #2 WR, though.

He's a good in some games over priced #2 WR, though.

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I'd like to LOL and thumbs up that post!

He's a good in some games over priced #2 WR, though.

...with the dichotomy of opinions here from the TBD brethren who analyze college ball in depth, sure as hell glad I'm NOT in McBeane's shoes.....but then again, with his staff of 17+, comprised of many former NFL VP's of Player Personnel or Directors of Player Personnel (probably a payroll of $5+ mil courtesy of Pegs), confident they will do their homework....stay tuned....

I don't watch a lot of college football and haven't really dug in yet on the draft, so maybe some of you guys who have can speak to this...

Not necessarily in relation to the OP's post, but in relation to the thread title, McBeane tends to like players who have done it for more than one year in college and who are team-first, all football all the time type of guys (no divas). So, adding that criteria, to the need for big-play-making ability (be it with speed or size), does that seem to rule any of the draftees out or push others up the board maybe?

On 2/28/2020 at 1:08 PM, Don Otreply said:

Imo, having a mix of receiver types is best,  it gives the offense more versatility when game planning opponents, and opponents have more to be concerned with when playing you. 

Go Bills!!!

Your receiving core should be a basketball team. We have a couple of quick guards, possibly a center in Knox, now we need power and small forwards. 

we need a guy who in a one on one matchup can just win with his size.  

• Like (+1) 1