Matt Miller@BR - Latest Buzz for every team

BarleyNY

Higgins not doing anything at the combiner because he is "RESTING" is very concerning. I wouldn't waste a 1st round pick on a guy that doesn't want to compete. Give me Jefferson Reagor or Aiyuk all day over Higgins. And a lot of guys from Clemson and LSU are at the combine this week that all have played a long season all the way to the Championship.

6 hours ago, Logic said:

The more I look at the needs of teams in front of Buffalo in the 1st round, the more convinced I am that the top three wide receivers, top three-four offensive tackles, and top 2-3 pass rushers will be gone.

If this happens, it obviously puts the Bills in a bit of an odd spot. My hope is that they don't force a pick at any of the above mentioned positions if the value isn't there. Luckily, Beane seems to be the type to stick to his board and not reach for positions of need.

As such, if the above scenario plays out, we may see the Bills end up taking a player at a position that fans consider less of an immediate need, like cornerback, safety, or linebacker. With mega-bucks about to be handed out to Tre'Davious White, a cheap rookie on the other side for the next 5 years would seem to make sense. Likewise, a Kenneth Murray or Kyle Duggar to maintain/improve the potency of the defense.

In such a deep wide receiver draft, we should all be prepared for their 1st round pick to NOT be at that position. Lastly, I'm not usually a "trade down at all costs!" guy, but I would love it if they did so this year. Getting an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder in a year where the WR and RB value seems to lie there would be a wise move.

Good analysis!  It is always difficult to project availability of specific players much beyond the top ten picks.  IMHO the main factor that will help push some talented players down to availability at 22 will be a run on QB's.  There is likely to be 4 QB's and maybe even 5 taken before pick 22.  I'm hoping that a team over reaches for that fifth guy.  In addition, you can always count on one team to go completely off the rails and make a terrible reach selection.  Maybe the JESTS will make that contribution this year. If that happens, there should be good value for Beane to make a pick that will improve the team.  It may not be a CB or DE but in another position of need.  In the absence of good value, a trade down could be the correct move. 

Edited by Florida Bills Fanatic
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

As such, if the above scenario plays out, we may see the Bills end up taking a player at a position that fans consider less of an immediate need, like cornerback, safety, or linebacker. With mega-bucks about to be handed out to Tre'Davious White, a cheap rookie on the other side for the next 5 years would seem to make sense. Likewise, a Kenneth Murray or Kyle Duggar to maintain/improve the potency of the defense.

Yeah I'm mentally prepared for us to draft a CB in the 1st round. Safety would really surprise me. But we definitely need an upgrade on Levi Wallace. Imagine a lockdown CB across from White. Our pass defense would be near unstoppable.

After the top 3 receivers I'm not sure anyone else is worth pick 22. I was all about Shenault but his injury history has become a big concern for me. Personally if any of the top 3 receivers are still available at 14, before Denver picks, I'm doing whatever it takes to trade up and draft him.

If we don't trade up and the value isn't there I could also see us trading down. Someone like Kansas City who needs a DB could be willing to move up and then we don't have to reach for someone.

Nothing will surprise me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

The "mock" drafts, I would say especially with the Buffalo pick (since they don't know **** about this team) is simply lining up team needs against someone's "big board" without looking more into it than that. I think that is okay for RD3-7, but IMO RD1 & 2 need to be based more on this simple mindless thought process. 

DBs fit really nice around #22 - #32 and if we stay there, that is what we should be taking as that will very likely be BPA in the top tier of the remaining players based on positions.

We have 10 more days until Tags have to be locked in and 16-18 days until UFA vistis can begin and signings. Lots of fun coming up to plug our holes and then we can really start digging into what we and the 21 teams in front of us should do in RD1. 

Yeah, that’s how most mocks are done - especially early ones.  I also agree that early rounds are better served drafting for value rather than simply filling needs.

One thing that stood out to me was how many teams have a need at Edge.  With such a weak draft there I see available FAs getting PAID.  I see a lot of Edge players getting overdrafted too.  People who want to cut Murphy are not looking at the big picture there.

There are going to be some real steals at WR in this draft too.  That’s not news, but the closer I look the crazier it is.  Teams will be getting starting quality WRs in round 3.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Bills snippets:

Buffalo  Like the Eagles, the Bills need wide receivers. Tee Higgins would be a dream here to give Josh Allen a bigger target and someone to stretch the field vertically. In Round 3, if a receiver hasn't been drafted, big ones like Bryan Edwards and Donovan Peoples-Jones are names I've heard.

Stick to Football is in Indianapolis this week. We are hosting Sean McDermott (Buffalo Bills), Mike Vrabel (Tennessee Titans) and Matt Bowen (ESPN) live from radio row.

Notes from other teams ahead of the Bills could inform some trade options or necessities.  Lots of teams need WRs and Edge players.  Edge is not a good position in this draft after Young so I could see some massive overpayment to free agents - especially with the cap expected to jump up with the new CBA. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2878167-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-latest-buzz-for-every-nfl-team-at-2020-combine?share=twitter

That's why I see us re signing Shaq (lack of talent in draft). Try to get him for 3 years and have an out after 2 years if he's underperforming. 

You let Johnson develop and have 3 solid vets in rotation.

Draft a DE in the 4th

Edited by JerseyBills

2 hours ago, billykay said:

Edwards may fall because of his broken foot. Would be nice if he fell to day 3 because of the injury.

I think he will. In a class of this depth a guy who missed the Senior Bowl and then the Combine with two different injuries he feels like a day 3 guy now. 

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Higgins not doing anything at the combiner because he is "RESTING" is very concerning. I wouldn't waste a 1st round pick on a guy that doesn't want to compete. Give me Jefferson Reagor or Aiyuk all day over Higgins. And a lot of guys from Clemson and LSU are at the combine this week that all have played a long season all the way to the Championship.

Yep. And a lot of them haven't done drills. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah I'm mentally prepared for us to draft a CB in the 1st round. Safety would really surprise me. But we definitely need an upgrade on Levi Wallace. Imagine a lockdown CB across from White. Our pass defense would be near unstoppable.

After the top 3 receivers I'm not sure anyone else is worth pick 22. I was all about Shenault but his injury history has become a big concern for me. Personally if any of the top 3 receivers are still available at 14, before Denver picks, I'm doing whatever it takes to trade up and draft him.

If we don't trade up and the value isn't there I could also see us trading down. Someone like Kansas City who needs a DB could be willing to move up and then we don't have to reach for someone.

Nothing will surprise me.

KC can't give up picks I don't think. They need cheap labour with their cap situation. Baltimore are a trade up candidate I think. They have a plethora of 4th round picks so they might be willing to give their 2nd and a later pick to come up. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

The more I look at the needs of teams in front of Buffalo in the 1st round, the more convinced I am that the top three wide receivers, top three-four offensive tackles, and top 2-3 pass rushers will be gone.

If this happens, it obviously puts the Bills in a bit of an odd spot. My hope is that they don't force a pick at any of the above mentioned positions if the value isn't there. Luckily, Beane seems to be the type to stick to his board and not reach for positions of need.

In such a deep wide receiver draft, we should all be prepared for their 1st round pick to NOT be at that position. Lastly, I'm not usually a "trade down at all costs!" guy, but I would love it if they did so this year. Getting an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder in a year where the WR and RB value seems to lie there would be a wise move.

To me that says Beane might move up a bit to get an edge or receiver they like. But corner and OL could definitely be picks as well.

I do agree with the overall sentiment though. I see 4-5 OT’s, 3 WR’s and at least 2 edge rushers to be gone by 22. There’s so many bad offensive lines with young QB’s I can’t see too many getting to far. 

I believe all of the following would be gone by the time we pick at 22. 

Jeudy

Lamb

Ruggs II

Wills
Wirfs

Bekton

Thomas

Young

Chaisson

I think their best options at 22 will be:

WR (in no particular order):
Reagor

Mims

Jefferson

Aiyuk

Higgins

Shenault

Edge:

Epenesa (MAYBE)

Gross-Matos

CB:

Henderson

Gladney

OT: 

Jones (MAYBE) 

Realistically, I see Beane using some of our later pieces to move up 3-4 spots. Dallas at 17 or Miami at 18, in order to get the player they desire. 

So much also depends on what they are able to do in free agency.

I have no idea what they’ll do but for the first time in so long, I have the utmost confidence in their every move. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

To me that says Beane might move up a bit to get an edge or receiver they like. But corner and OL could definitely be picks as well.

I do agree with the overall sentiment though. I see 4-5 OT’s, 3 WR’s and at least 2 edge rushers to be gone by 22. There’s so many bad offensive lines with young QB’s I can’t see too many getting to far. 

I believe all of the following would be gone by the time we pick at 22. 

Jeudy

Lamb

Ruggs II

Wills
Wirfs

Bekton

Thomas

Young

Chaisson

I think their best options at 22 will be:

WR (in no particular order):
Reagor

Mims

Jefferson

Aiyuk

Higgins

Shenault

Edge:

Epenesa (MAYBE)

Gross-Matos

CB:

Henderson

Gladney

OT: 

Jones (MAYBE) 

Realistically, I see Beane using some of our later pieces to move up 3-4 spots. Dallas at 17 or Miami at 18, in order to get the player they desire. 

So much also depends on what they are able to do in free agency.

I have no idea what they’ll do but for the first time in so long, I have the utmost confidence in their every move. 

Think this is right. But I have Fulton higher than Henderson and Gladney at corner. He is my #2 after Okudah. 

8 hours ago, zevo said:

For some reason Higgins just doesn’t do it for me...I have no basis or reasoning for it...

I get that gut feeling too and that’s why we’ll get mocked (though we know the “draft experts” are wrong more than they’re right—there’s a litany of horrible first round locks).   

We’ve been looking for a WR who is “open even when he’s covered” since Buddy Nix.  While Higgins has shown that ability in college (and at Clemson with tough competition), I’m leery that with Higgins we’re getting tunnel vision by focusing on size when it comes to the Bills taking Higgins in the first (and we all know size doesn’t matter ?).  

Guess what I’m saying is that while I don’t want another smurf, players who are open even when they’re covered come in different flavors—not just 6’4” (may James Hardy rest in peace)—and there are so many WRs this year that I want that second round WR like Michael Thomas.

I’m still thinking edge and then trade up with draft capital to grab our BPA who I think has a good chance of being a WR with the outstanding depth available.

Edited by biggerdaddynj
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CSBill said:

Great size, faster than I thought. How are his hands--is he reliable?

He is growing on me, can he be had in the 2nd round?

Excellent hands, excellent body control, is a good blocker in the run game, runs a solid route tree for a guy his size, and adjusts well to the ball in the air. :thumbsup: All that said, I highly doubt he lasts until our 2nd Round pick after his combine. We would have to take him in the 1st. 

Edited by H2o
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, H2o said:

Chase Claypool. 6'4-1/4", 238lbs, 4.42 40, 40.5" vertical, 80"+ wingspan, 10'6" broad jump, and got better every year in college. 

***bangs the table***

I don’t watch a ton of college football, but I did watch the Senior Bowl. I saw an athletic catch just outside the end zone, toes out by inches. It’s not in the stats, but I immediately asked “who dat?” Chase Claypool. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Lurker said:

Yawn.   The national narrative is getting stale.

They keep slotting "big" possession-type WRs to the Bills--when Beane has repeated said the team needs a dynamic playmaker a'la Tyreek Hill who can score quickly / do big chunk plays.      

No one wants big possession receivers anymore....quick and fast

7 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

That's why I see us re signing Shaq (lack of talent in draft). Try to get him for 3 years and have an out after 2 years if he's underperforming. 

You let Johnson develop and have 3 solid vets in rotation.

Draft a DE in the 4th

Gotta be honest, that’s why I don't think we re-sign Shaq.  I think the bidding just gets too high.  It’d be nice to keep him here, but some team will pay him very well to be a starter.  The need for Edge players is is just too great. 

5 hours ago, nucci said:

No one wants big possession receivers anymore....quick and fast

"Catch radius" and "Allen's innaccuracy" seem to be the national narative around the Bills WR needs.   Good thing it doesn't appear to be Beane's...