Breakdown of WR Prospect Metrics (as well as who we've scouted/met with)

DCOrange

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

Has there ever been an NCAA player with potentially elite route running skills who's been a bust in the NFL?  That's a legitimate question to all of you who are far more in the know about the college game and the draft than I am.  

IMO, that's a metric that's rock solid.  You can never have enough WRs who commit to becoming elite route runners.  In a league where everyone is fast and strong, that's how you truly get open.  

I'm no expert, but I would imagine if you are developing a "raw" QB, it's best to take the safe bet in the reliability of good route runners than to focus on niche aspects of the game like oh this guy is fast and can chase down deep balls or oh this guy is tall and is good at jump balls/end zone fades.  

Both Brown and Beasley have helped Allen in this regard and under contract long enough to hold the line until Allen breaks out.  This is an exciting FA/draft for me.

2 hours ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I'm a big fan of Mimms, and Badazz.  Mimms caught my eye a few weeks back. Like the majority of us, I was doing some armchair GM/YouTube scouting, and besides the consensus top 2 (lamb,Jeudy), the 2 that popped off the screen for me was Mimms, and Ruggs. I also like Jefferson. I like Mimms, because we can potentially draft a top OT, or DE with or 1st pick, and get someone like Mimms or Jefferson in the 2nd.  Mimms just looks like a specimen. He's not just big, or fast, he's both, and can also play the position.

Agree completely. Ruggs and Mims are my 2 favorite wrs. I think they're the 2 best fits for the Bills. 

Despite his size, Ruggs had a great catch radius. This is what Allen, who struggles with accuracy at times, needs. Mims has jump ball skills and also makes tough catches. We all saw how Allen tried getting Duke the ball. Mims is what we all wish Duke could be. 

6 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Holy cow Justin Jefferson with a contested catch rate of 92.3%! Next closest is at 66.7%. 

Cephus was looking like a good day 3 sleeper until he ran a 4.73 in the forty.

I think Cephus is good. The 40 time could hurt him in this deep class but he’s solid. Very physical and great hands, played in a run oriented offense with a meh Qb.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• 2 weeks later...

One player i would really like to see the Bills get & he fits exactly what they need in the passing game is Chase Claypool . 

The more i read about hm the more i like what i read he is a big bodied WR at 6' 4" tall & has good speed at 4.42 it was said to he made a big jump by what he did at the combine i think he would be a really good get in the draft .

Also seeing that the other big name guys Lamb, Ruggs, & Higgins might be gone by the time the Bills pick he could be there for at 22 & i like his size a lot more than the others, Higgins has the size but i have read where Claypool is more versatile .

If he's not there J.Jefferson would be another good get not sure exactly where he is ranked as far as the draft goes & he is a little shorter than Claypool but his speed is comparable & he did well at the combine .

On 2/28/2020 at 7:10 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Without stating the obvious, the Bills have been all over the WR class. They’ve put a ton of resources into this group. I’m thinking that they take 2.

I hope you’re right.

I also hope they don’t trade up for one of the “elite” three.  In a historically deep and talented class like this one, and especially at WR, I think it’s exceedingly difficult to accurately predict who the best NFL players are going to be.  If you’re going to trade up, do it to get back into the second or third to get someone like Pitts or Claypool after you get your guy at 22.

48 minutes ago, T master said:

One player i would really like to see the Bills get & he fits exactly what they need in the passing game is Chase Claypool . 

The more i read about hm the more i like what i read he is a big bodied WR at 6' 4" tall & has good speed at 4.42 it was said to he made a big jump by what he did at the combine i think he would be a really good get in the draft .

Also seeing that the other big name guys Lamb, Ruggs, & Higgins might be gone by the time the Bills pick he could be there for at 22 & i like his size a lot more than the others, Higgins has the size but i have read where Claypool is more versatile .

If he's not there J.Jefferson would be another good get not sure exactly where he is ranked as far as the draft goes & he is a little shorter than Claypool but his speed is comparable & he did well at the combine .

A few things here...

The only thing that Claypool’s combine tells me is that his long speed isn’t going to prevent him from playing in the league.

I can’t fathom how he suddenly becomes a 1st round pick. He’s big and tough, but he has very little short-area quickness and doesn’t create much separation.

To take him in the first would be implying that there’s a sizable difference between him and a guy like Denzel Mims or DPJ, and I really don’t see it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

A few things here...

The only thing that Claypool’s combine tells me is that his long speed isn’t going to prevent him from playing in the league.

I can’t fathom how he suddenly becomes a 1st round pick. He’s big and tough, but he has very little short-area quickness and doesn’t create much separation.

To take him in the first would be implying that there’s a sizable difference between him and a guy like Denzel Mims or DPJ, and I really don’t see it.

I like Mims. 

It feels like conscious is that Lamb and Jeudy are the two best WR’s with Ruggs being right there as well.

It is going to be fascinating to see, when does the next group go? I feel like we will see ‘pockets’ of wide receivers picked over the first three rounds. 3-4 taken over a ten pick span.

Boy, based on that third tab, Isaiah Hodgins has everything the Bills want as a mid-round pick--except he's slow (4.6 40).   

Still, he might be worth a shot with one of the extra 5th round picks as he apparently never drops a ball and is a great red zone target...

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/isaiah-hodgins/

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/alshon-jeffery/   (comparable)

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Boy, based on that third tab, Isaiah Hodgins has everything the Bills want as a mid-round pick--except he's slow (4.6 40).   

Still, he might be worth a shot with one of the extra 5th round picks as he apparently never drops a ball and is a great red zone target...

Hodgins is my man! I have him as a R3 pick

On 2/28/2020 at 12:33 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

does that mean Jefferson can’t get open, or that he is always open? 

maybe he didn’t hear the whistle? 

Jefferson is considered an excellent route runner with good quickness and speed.  He usually gets good separation. 

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Great hands. Not sure he’ll be able to get separation against anybody in the NFL though. He plays the game very slow. Track record for his type isn’t good in the NFL. Still worth a shot at some point on Day 3 though if the first WR we take is an explosive type. 

Edited by DCOrange

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I like Mims. 

It feels like conscious is that Lamb and Jeudy are the two best WR’s with Ruggs being right there as well.

It is going to be fascinating to see, when does the next group go? I feel like we will see ‘pockets’ of wide receivers picked over the first three rounds. 3-4 taken over a ten pick span.

I think the top 3 are gone by 17. Unless Philly moves up, I suspect that group 2 starts with them, or possibly Buffalo at 22. Either way, I think group 2 starts to go in the 20’s and consists of Jefferson, Aiyuk, and one of Reagor/Higgins/Hamler, with the others going in the top 10 of round 2. I think there’s a noticeable drop off from the top 8 to group 3 where you get Laviska, Mims, Claypool, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think the top 3 are gone by 17. Unless Philly moves up, I suspect that group 2 starts with them, or possibly Buffalo at 22. Either way, I think group 2 starts to go in the 20’s and consists of Jefferson, Aiyuk, and one of Reagor/Higgins/Hamler, with the others going in the top 10 of round 2. I think there’s a noticeable drop off from the top 8 to group 3 where you get Laviska, Mims, Claypool, etc.

How much more do you like Reagor/Higgins/Hamler over Mims?

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

He really is. My brother in law is a beaver alum so i watch them when I can.  Great size and hands and seems to be a great kid according to the fam.  Would love to get him as our 2nd WR in the draft or only WR if we can pull off a trade for a top WR

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I don’t really do number grades or anything like that, but I have all 3 graded as high 2’s and Mims as a mid-to-late 2.

I need to look into the height and weight for the second tier guys. 
Mins just seems like the right size and speed. What’s his biggest knock besides playing at Baylor verse an SEC school?

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I need to look into the height and weight for the guys. 
Mins just seems like the right size and speed. What’s his biggest knock besides playing at Baylor verse an SEC school?

Drop rate is among the worst in his class over the past 2 years. Doesn’t really know how to run routes yet. Inconsistent beating press coverage. 

There’s a ton of potential with him but he’s probably not ready to start for us next year. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Admitted Penn State homer here. 

I love KJ Hamler.  But honestly i dont see him with a major role in the NFL.  If you need a small speedy WR, then maybe he is your guy.  Not sure i'd really want to put  him in the slot.  His ceiling is probably similar to Lee Evans IMO.  Not the worst thing in the world...but I just dont see him making it.

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

He really is. My brother in law is a beaver alum so i watch them when I can.  Great size and hands and seems to be a great kid according to the fam.  Would love to get him as our 2nd WR in the draft or only WR if we can pull off a trade for a top WR

If you didn't know he was running with a piano on his back, you'd be likey to say "...Wow!   That's the best highlight package I've seen from any WR this year!"