Cover 1 Ruggs is more than just speed

Reed83HOF

10 hours ago, buffalover4life said:

love that he has those massive hands to go along with his speed

10 1/8"

His hands are an eighth of an inch bigger than Odell Beckham.

Sorry, not talk enough.

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

Get a room

Maybe Cheesecake factory?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffalonian said:

Kiper has the Bills taking Ruggs in the first round.  McShay has the Eagles taking him one pick before the Bills first round selection. 

His 4.27 time matches Marquise Goodwin’s 40 at the combine in 2013.  

How is his pole vault?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I do wonder what tyreke hill would have run had he been invited.  I haven't completely given up on ross but its not looking good.  He just had his best season, and it wasn't good.  

This is also combine only speed - so taking out all the pro day people who have run some 4.30's.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I do wonder what tyreke hill would have run had he been invited.  I haven't completely given up on ross but its not looking good.  He just had his best season, and it wasn't good.  

This is also combine only speed - so taking out all the pro day people who have run some 4.30's.  

Speed is a good thing and it is easy to get wowed (good or bad) at the combine warriors.

1.) DK's agility at the combine last year and the routes on his tape did not show the use of those athletic traits, which is why he fell. Had he ran a more diverse route tree that showcased that he possessed those traits, he would have certainly gone higher than he did. I get the cause for concern and his slide down the board, high ceiling and very low floor.

2.) I was a wrong Josh guy, but when I did watch Allen at the combine, it was hard not be enamored with his arm strength. The overall rawness to his game and the amount of work he would need to hopefully be the guy scared me off as a guy who, honestly was a much more polished prospect. I am more than ok with how things turned out for us. In the long run it is looking like we got the best in the bunch, but Rosen has been dealt a terrible card thus far in his career.

Ruggs's game film shows he can run a diverse tree and good routes, when he stops on a dime - his acceleration back to top speed is unbelievably fast, he can make back shoulder catches, he can make contested catches - even going up with his 42" vert to grab them, he can wiggle free from defenders while be covered, he has excellent hands. This is all stuff demonstrated on film consistently. The combine isn't going to affect his stock in anyway unless he ran a 4.1 or a 4.4 or worse; the tape doesn't lie. 

Jefferson did well yesterday, I like what I saw in his game tape and honestly in the championship game he was better than Higgins, who has been rated higher on the early rankings. His 40 time might have affected some teams views on him, but they shouldn't be changing their boards based on it - when does a WR run a route like a 40 in a game and how often? It is more is he quick enough to gain separation with his speed and moves and get in a position to have the ball tossed his way.... 

People call him a smurf, he is what 5'11" - 6'0"  and 190 pounds, Jeudy is 6'1" 193 pounds - not much of a difference and his vertical ability more than makes up for the 2 inches. It is the added element of the explosive athleticism he has that no one else and he still has a lot of room to grow. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Speed is a good thing and it is easy to get wowed (good or bad) at the combine warriors.

1.) DK's agility at the combine last year and the routes on his tape did not show the use of those athletic traits, which is why he fell. Had he ran a more diverse route tree that showcased that he possessed those traits, he would have certainly gone higher than he did. I get the cause for concern and his slide down the board, high ceiling and very low floor.

2.) I was a wrong Josh guy, but when I did watch Allen at the combine, it was hard not be enamored with his arm strength. The overall rawness to his game and the amount of work he would need to hopefully be the guy scared me off as a guy who, honestly was a much more polished prospect. I am more than ok with how things turned out for us. In the long run it is looking like we got the best in the bunch, but Rosen has been dealt a terrible card thus far in his career.

Ruggs's game film shows he can run a diverse tree and good routes, when he stops on a dime - his acceleration back to top speed is unbelievably fast, he can make back shoulder catches, he can make contested catches - even going up with his 42" vert to grab them, he can wiggle free from defenders while be covered, he has excellent hands. This is all stuff demonstrated on film consistently. The combine isn't going to affect his stock in anyway unless he ran a 4.1 or a 4.4 or worse; the tape doesn't lie. 

Jefferson did well yesterday, I like what I saw in his game tape and honestly in the championship game he was better than Higgins, who has been rated higher on the early rankings. His 40 time might have affected some teams views on him, but they shouldn't be changing their boards based on it - when does a WR run a route like a 40 in a game and how often? It is more is he quick enough to gain separation with his speed and moves and get in a position to have the ball tossed his way.... 

People call him a smurf, he is what 5'11" - 6'0"  and 190 pounds, Jeudy is 6'1" 193 pounds - not much of a difference and his vertical ability more than makes up for the 2 inches. It is the added element of the explosive athleticism he has that no one else and he still has a lot of room to grow. 

I would love to land Ruggs.  I can't see him lasting to us.  Jefferson might, but I'm still bigger on taking a WR in round 2 if an impact Edge or OT is available in Rd. 1.    In regards to Jefferson, I agree his height is not an issue.  But is he simply a "slot" WR, or could we move him out wide also?  

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I would love to land Ruggs.  I can't see him lasting to us.  Jefferson might, but I'm still bigger on taking a WR in round 2 if an impact Edge or OT is available in Rd. 1.    In regards to Jefferson, I agree his height is not an issue.  But is he simply a "slot" WR, or could we move him out wide also?  

The only way to get a top 3 WR is to move up, whether we do that or not will be based on what we do in UFA and how the draft unfolds and to me that is moving to 13 or 14, which is quite palatable in terms of actual, realistic cost. Going higher than those picks will cost us a #2 this year or RD1 next, which is why it is imperative they get their board right and really know the difference between the WRs. Get too cute you waste or picks or get a prospect who will take a year or 2 too long to develop.

I don't see Edge or OT at #22 being that viable, the ones worth taking in RD1 will be gone and the relative value of the next tiers aren't worth pushing up at that pick. Personally I'm not an Epenesa guy (I think he goes to ATL at 16 anyways - if they don't slide back for more picks). There is no way the top OTs fall to #22 and there is good value for RT in the 30s-40s as most boards stand right now. It is the CB/S position that sticks out like a sore thumb at #22 for BPA and I hate it

The traits for us are (in no part. order)

1.) developed route tree (w/o an AJ green-ish UFA, we can't wait 2 years for this guy to learn a tree)

2.) quick separation ability

3.) good hands & can adjust to make catches (not everything is going to be perfect)

4.) ability to learn to/can read defenses to adjust routes

5.) generate YAC

6.) can stay healthy (good medicals)

7.) is a danger to score when the ball is in his hands = he needs to be a playmaker

8.) around 5'11" 190lbs and up

9.) no slower than a 4.5-ish

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Jeffersons interesting because he did a lot from the slot.  Do his skills translate to a z type receiver?  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, hjnick said:

Hey, the more WR's that wow everyone, hopefully they pull themselves higher up in the draft and we can get an EDGE or an OT to slide down to us. :)

I’ll be happy if some underwear olympic medal winners rise up, and we can get some awesome football players! We can go to a lot of positions and come out winners. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

The only way to get a top 3 WR is to move up, whether we do that or not will be based on what we do in UFA and how the draft unfolds and to me that is moving to 13 or 14, which is quite palatable in terms of actual, realistic cost. Going higher than those picks will cost us a #2 this year or RD1 next, which is why it is imperative they get their board right and really know the difference between the WRs. Get too cute you waste or picks or get a prospect who will take a year or 2 too long to develop.

I don't see Edge or OT at #22 being that viable, the ones worth taking in RD1 will be gone and the relative value of the next tiers aren't worth pushing up at that pick. Personally I'm not an Epenesa guy (I think he goes to ATL at 16 anyways - if they don't slide back for more picks). There is no way the top OTs fall to #22 and there is good value for RT in the 30s-40s as most boards stand right now. It is the CB/S position that sticks out like a sore thumb at #22 for BPA and I hate it

The traits for us are (in no part. order)

1.) developed route tree (w/o an AJ green-ish UFA, we can't wait 2 years for this guy to learn a tree)

2.) quick separation ability

3.) good hands & can adjust to make catches (not everything is going to be perfect)

4.) ability to learn to/can read defenses to adjust routes

5.) generate YAC

6.) can stay healthy (good medicals)

7.) is a danger to score when the ball is in his hands = he needs to be a playmaker

8.) around 5'11" 190lbs and up

9.) no slower than a 4.5-ish

I think most teams look for all those traits

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Except that 1 scout I knew who coveted 6'5 WRs that couldn't catch a cold and moved in quicksand

He helped draft Kelvin Benjamin

Jesus - that's the worst. I mean I get and understand how busts happen, but some basics always get overlooked and the team and everyone involved in that pick looks like an idiot.

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Jesus - that's the worst. I mean I get and understand how busts happen, but some basics always get overlooked and the team and everyone involved in that pick looks like an idiot.

It happens unfortunately to every team over time... Scouts disagree about who to pick, GM is undecided , owner pushes for his guy

And cluster***** happen 

• Like (+1) 1

Couldn't sleep so I watched a replay of the second half of the Alabama-Auburn "Iron Bowl" game on ESPN.     

Came away disapointed in Ruggs and especially Jeudy.     The Tide's best WRs--by far--were Jaylen Waddle and Davonta Smith.   

I didn't like Ruggs release against press coverage.   And even though he ended up with 6 catches for 99 yards, including a 3-yard TD, he didn't seem to be much of a factor when the game was on the line--and wasn't even on the field in many critical situations.    Jeudy was invisible, with 5 catches for just 26 yards...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2019-11-30-auburn.html

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

It happens unfortunately to every team over time... Scouts disagree about who to pick, GM is undecided , owner pushes for his guy

And cluster***** happen 

...always will be major draft gaffes......STILL remember Kiper drool over MSU's Mandarich (1989-#2 pick)........"....can't miss....future HOF'er.......a behemoth.....a man among boys"......has anybody seen Tony's juice cup?...