Chase Claypool- I know you want to talk about him

NewEra

7 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Having been born and raised in WNY I can pretty astutely affirm that 2’ of snow in November can happen. 

Perhaps you remember this??????

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-bills-jets-game-relocated-20141120-story.html%3f_amp=true

Outliers - thank you for making my point.  

As a life long Irish fan, Ive watched every game. Claypool was a project guy when brought in from CA. He didn't buy into immediately and was one of Kellys doghouse guys early on. The size and speed was seen immediately in spring camp. He wasnt given significant playing time until junior year where he was still just the number 2 behind Boykin, but still put up decent numbers. This last season he was the true number one and took on that leadership role everyone was waiting all this time for. He got better and better every season and even every game Senior year. I think if he had eligibility to play another season he would put up ridiculous numbers like 1500+yards and 15+TDs. He completely owned in the Camping World Bowl. Hes a guy that is going to benefit from NFL coaching and is going to get even better. 6'4 with a 40" verticle, and this guy catches everything. I said way back he was going to put up great combine numbers and kill our chances of getting later rounds. Will prob have to spend a 2nd on him to get now. Mike Evans with a little more speed and wiggle, sign me up please!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Really impressive size and numbers at the combine but he didn’t look very smooth running routes.  Not great hands,  double catches a lot. 
I like Antonio Gandy-Golden from Liberty. He is also 6’4 and 10 lbs lighter but a much smother athlete with very soft hands and can be had in the 3rd or 4th round.

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 3

It seems doubtful that Claypool will make it to Buffalo's second round pick.  Maybe they could drop down a few picks in the first round.  If he does hang around down into the second round, maybe Buffalo could package some of their late round picks with their second rounder to move up and get him. 

42 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

It seems doubtful that Claypool will make it to Buffalo's second round pick.  Maybe they could drop down a few picks in the first round.  If he does hang around down into the second round, maybe Buffalo could package some of their late round picks with their second rounder to move up and get him. 

I actually think he will be there when the Bills pick in the 2nd. Jmo 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I actually think he will be there when the Bills pick in the 2nd. Jmo 

No way I spend our first rounder on Claypool in the first. With how deep this draft is he will likely be there in the third, and if he isn't another extremely talented wr will be like Mims , Gandy or Edwards. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dont love his film, but he did play with a noodle arm QB so that can be deceptive.  That said, I think he made himself a whole ton of money yesterday.  Originally I think he was a day 3 pick, but with the size and the speed combo you have to view him as a day 2 pick.   I dont think he'll make it into the 1st round because again, his tape isn't first round tape.  

12 hours ago, PIZ said:

I was thinking that he looked like Kelvin Benjamin, but KB ran a 4.61 40. I’m not sure what would be better.....a big fast guy like Claypool or a small super fast guy like Ruggs. 

But Claypool isn’t a fat woman.  This is my main crush at receiver this year. He is constantly improving.  Plus, he’s gone through a lot and has been a model student athlete.  https://strongofheart.nd.edu/profiles/chase-claypool-2017/

since the Bills never get players I want, I assume we won’t get him.  But as someone who’s only Jersey Is andre reed, I will buy a Claypool Jersey. That’s a solid $50 Bills. Make it happen.

16 minutes ago, dje85 said:

No way I spend our first rounder on Claypool in the first. With how deep this draft is he will likely be there in the third, and if he isn't another extremely talented wr will be like Mims , Gandy or Edwards. 

I think he’s a 2nd round talent but with the depth at his position good WRs are going to be available in every round. That said if the Bills feel his film matches his combine, he could go in the 1st. I don’t know whether they think that or not. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

11 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Another big guy who ran well is Denzel Mims, with 4.39 unofficial 40.  He's not quite as big as Claypool, but was more productive at Baylor than Claypool was at Notre Dame.  Jalen Raegor ran a disappointing 4.47 - not slow, but not the burner he was touted to be, and at 5'11" he doesn't have size and catch radius as bragging points.  He did have a nice vertical though (42").  Claypool might be a boom/bust type player in the first round where the pressure to succeed is so high.  He has off the charts measurables, but wasn't very productive in college.  Part of that was having a crap QB and an offense that didn't feature a high powered passing attack.  He's not reap twitchy, not real crisp in his route running, doesn't have short area quickness or burst out of his breaks.  Some of that can be coached up, but there is potential for him to disappoint.

Mims has been on my radar lately and the more you read and see the more is to like. 

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Really impressive size and numbers at the combine but he didn’t look very smooth running routes.  Not great hands,  double catches a lot. 
I like Antonio Gandy-Golden from Liberty. He is also 6’4 and 10 lbs lighter but a much smother athlete with very soft hands and can be had in the 3rd or 4th round.

His 4.6 might drop him even lower than that. 

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he’s a 2nd round talent but with the depth at his position good WRs are going to be available in every round. That said if the Bills feel his film matches his combine, he could go in the 1st. I don’t know whether they think that or not. 

I just don't see first round talent when I watch his youtube film and that's mainly highlights. He looks too raw and has trouble separating fast or not. I may be nitpicking because I always do but at this point there is way too many better wrs in this draft I'd take over him in the first / second round. 

He isn't even in my top ten wrs this draft. This draft is just super deep. Running fast in shorts won't change that for me. 

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

But with that said. I won't question Beane and McDermott's draft or free agent choices anymore. Too many times they left my head scratching and going why! To make me look stupid. I'd drink the koolaid if we took him in the first. It'd just take me a week or so until I did. I'd rewatch his highlights and slowly lie / convince myself to eventually think okay I can see why.. Until I'm convinced he will be a hall of famer by training camp. lol 

Edited by dje85

10 minutes ago, dje85 said:

I just don't see first round talent when I watch his youtube film and that's mainly highlights. He looks too raw and has trouble separating fast or not. I may be nitpicking because I always do but at this point there is way too many better wrs in this draft I'd take over him in the first / second round. 

He isn't even in my top ten wrs this draft. This draft is just super deep. Running fast in shorts won't change that for me. 

But with that said. I won't question Beane and McDermott's draft or free agent choices anymore. Too many times they left my head scratching and going why! To make me look stupid. I'd drink the koolaid if we took him in the first. It'd just take me a week or so until I did. I'd rewatch his highlights and slowly lie / convince myself to eventually think okay I can see why.. Until I'm convinced he will be a hall of famer by training camp. lol 

None of us have the info/film/study on these players that they do. I doubt they will take him in the 1st but again, they spend their lives on this stuff and watch these guys practice in addition to play live games in addition to film so we will see. 

• Like (+1) 1

The 40 time isn't enough to vault Claypool into Round 1, considering his route running & separation ability. To NFL teams, the tape speaks much louder than Combine results. I do however think he could go in Round 2 now, based on the Combine numbers.

I have no doubt that draft turds like McShay will project him in the 1st, I just don't see it happening.

• Like (+1) 1